View Full Version : friggen PowerPro

nightfighter
09-05-2005, 07:45 AM
I swapped spools yesterday as I figured the PP had lost most of its green coloring and it would be a good time to break in the other spool with the large fish around..... I have been tortured since then. Lost a TDF custom surf howdy on a break off (later retrieved after 45 min. of target casting) and have had to cut off ten to thirty yards do to wind knots numerous times. The spool now has too little left on it. Only option is to pull off and add to backing, which I dislike due to the knot. Spent most of last evening and this morning dealing with equipment! :lossinit: Yeah I'm losing it, esp after seeing John D with a nice 44" on a tube and worm from his yak, and hearing Clogston is leading the weekend's tourney with a 39lb 7oz he pulled the other night. His buddy Mike is in second I believe. Good going guys!

BigFish
09-05-2005, 07:47 AM
I am a little old fashioned...I will stick with my mono! :btu:

eelman
09-05-2005, 07:51 AM
Me to I love mono. Try the ande backcountry line in 20lb test, the stuff is really fantastic ! :bl:

BigFish
09-05-2005, 07:53 AM
I might do that...thanks #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&! I use Berkley Big Game 15 pound mostly (course I fish the sand alot)....in green! I may beef up with the Ande as I got a trip to Rhody soon hopefully and going back to Cutty soon! :jump:

eelman
09-05-2005, 07:55 AM
I might do that...thanks #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&! I use Berkley Big Game 15 pound mostly (course I fish the sand alot)....in green! I may beef up with the Ande as I got a trip to Rhody soon hopefully and going back to Cutty soon! :jump:
I used to use trilene exclusive, but there QC Has went way down hill. So on a suggestion I tried the ande backcountry and really fell in love with the stuff.

snake slinger
09-05-2005, 08:14 AM
eel man what do you like better about the backcountry over tri-big game?where can you get backcountry in 25lb test?

eelman
09-05-2005, 08:23 AM
eel man what do you like better about the backcountry over tri-big game?where can you get backcountry in 25lb test?
Well, since we both fish conventional I will start with abrasion resistance, when you cast the line gets abraided from your thumb, the berkley was horrible with that, the ande holds up well in that department, it also has low memory and comes off the spool super smooth. As for fish fighting , the stuff is just super strong I have been able to really lean into a fish and the line holds up well around rocks. I dont have to change the line as often as I use to. Ericksons Tackle in Warwick sells it in bulk spools or, you can find it online.

For Conventional casting it just seems to have everything I want in a line.

He has it 20,25,30,40 etc.......every size

afterhours
09-05-2005, 08:28 AM
might be in the minority, but i love braid! got it on all my reels- spins and convenchs.

redcrbbr
09-05-2005, 08:30 AM
i love power pro! just i won't ever use it to cast with a convenc reel again. spent way too much time undoing professional over runs. great stuff for spinners or trolling off a boat.

Mike P
09-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Fading color is nothing to worry about---usually doesn't affect the strength of the braid.

If you have a good load of Power Pro, stick with it. If you get an infamous "mystery break-#^&#^&#^&#^& when the line is brand new, junk it. Wind it back on the spool and send it back to the company.

Bill, that's not good to hear about the QC issues with Trilene. I still use mono a lot and Big Game has always been my go-to line. I thumb the side of the spool on most of the conventionals I have, so my thumb usually doesn't touch the line except on my Calcutta ;)

nightfighter
09-05-2005, 09:05 AM
Mike, I just swapped the old spool back on. Seems I had used the older spool which was supposed to be interchangeable, but the top skirt was not as wide on the one I had problems with. The spare spool that matches exactly has Yozuri Hybrid 20 on it, so will leave it alone. Could be a skirt issue, but will probably rewind onto Shimano AX4000. BTW, the reel I was fishing is Okume Epixor EFS60, the different "spare" spool came from the Okuma Metaloid 60, you know, the one not meant for salt water :huh:

eelman
09-05-2005, 08:22 PM
Fading color is nothing to worry about---usually doesn't affect the strength of the braid.

If you have a good load of Power Pro, stick with it. If you get an infamous "mystery break-#^&#^&#^&#^& when the line is brand new, junk it. Wind it back on the spool and send it back to the company.

Bill, that's not good to hear about the QC issues with Trilene. I still use mono a lot and Big Game has always been my go-to line. I thumb the side of the spool on most of the conventionals I have, so my thumb usually doesn't touch the line except on my Calcutta ;)
Mike, Trilene has always been my choice also, but since I tried the ande backcountry its a world of difference.

Trilene has broke on me a few times early in the season when it should not have, when I talked to the guy at the baitshop he said they have been going downhill and suggested I try the new ande stuff.

rockyroady
09-06-2005, 09:19 AM
I've been using Big Game 20# on my 525gs any comments on this or is the Ande that much better? Still have 20# fireline in a spinner but second spool now has 15# big game.

RIROCKHOUND
09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Suffix Titanium and Suffix Siege
On my convnech set-up's I love the stuff, a bit pricy but cheaper than braid..
Still use braid to jig though...

Clogston29
09-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Sorry, posted this in wrong thread.

Flaptail
09-06-2005, 10:00 AM
Tried them all. Fireline is the only tech line I will use on spinning. On conventional the Stren Superbraid is just awesome. I always carry a spare spool for each reel with mono of the appropriate lb. test as a back up if and when the braid or tech line failed. The only braid I could never get to behave was Power Pro, I think it is my style of retrieve. On the offshore tuna stuff it is and will aleways be mono. Tunas do some crazy S%it, Mono has the stretch that will save you where zero stretch braid or tech lines will just go snap and considering that a daisy chain of 11 inch squid plus the stinger and the flock of mini birds ahead that total is worth about 55.00 bucks I cannot take the chance on the braid.

Justfishin'
09-06-2005, 12:15 PM
I tried both the Fireline and Spectra(?) on my conv. 525 and spinner cause I fish the rocks a lot and they did have a great strike feel.But once they frayed they got 'sticky' when casting and I got some serious backlashes.One day I lost 2 spools worth of it and I was out $35. I went back to Ande and Big Game. Now I can afford to change my line a lot and they're both tough lines.