View Full Version : Is this normal wear & tear or a problem ?

Diggin Jiggin
09-06-2005, 08:33 PM
I have started to turn some plugs for the fall run and I've got the first batch primed and it's time to paint, but before I do I want your opinion as to whether I had problems with the ones I made last winter. I'll describe what I did and if you see anything that you think I did wrong, lets hear it...

I really like how the plugs fish, but I have not been very impressed with how well they have held up. I've used both envirotek lite and Mirror coat, and I'm starting to think it's not the epoxy, its either the epoxy adhering to the paint or different layers of paint adhering to each other...

I'm using rattle cans and I've got all kinds to get the colors I wanted, but maybe thats part of the problem. I've been sealing my plugs in val oil, then priming them with (Rustoleum clean metal primer). Is that the right stuff, it's all I've been able to find ??

The plug in the picture below was painted flat white, then a pink over that on the sides and krylon pearl over the whole thing. Over the paint I did a clear coat of helmsmans Clear spar varnish and then systems 3 mirror coat on top if that.

It looked the way I wanted but to my way of thinking did not hold up really well.

My next batch I think I am just going to keep it simple and try just one color over the primer. Does anyone know of a yellow in rattle can that they like that is not gloss ? I have definitely had problems with the gloss paints...

Anyway, here's a picture of a plug that I fished 2 mornings a couple of weekends ago. The plug was new when it started and fished for a max of 5 hours. It did get a lot of action, 15-20 blues (up to 8 lbs), and 1/2 dozen small bass. Along with the ones I caught I probably had atleast that many other hit and misses.

Maybe I am expecting too much? Just seems like it ought to last more than 2 trips....

Jigman
09-06-2005, 08:53 PM
Could be adhesion problems. Do an adhesion test at each stage of the process to see where the problem is, if there is one. By this I mean, take a blank that you messed up and seal it. When dry, prime as usual. Take a razor blade and cut a grid into the plug that is around 1/8 squares. Now take a piece of tape and apply to the grid, then pull off. If you have primer particles on the tape, you have adhesion problems. If no primer, the primer is ok. If ok, apply the paint, and do the test again. If no problems, apply your clear coat and do the last test. If you have a good combo, you will not see any primer, paint, clear coat on the tape. If you do see any of these on the tape, there is your problem. If the primer is not holding right, nothing else you put on will hold. Likewise with the paint. If there is an adhesion problem with the paint, the clear will not hold.

Jigman

capesams
09-06-2005, 09:34 PM
pearl's and metalic's don't like anything that is layed on top of them when they are made of enamels and or laquer's..rusto.= enamel///krylon=laquer.

metalic's/pearl's LAY on the primer or color coat below them,never really bond together...easy peel.

enamel's and laquer don't like each other unless sprayed on together wet.

gloss paint's do work well only if scuffed really well after it's had ample time to cure..

try to stick with the same brand paint's all through the different steps.

sounds like your mixing 5 different liquids/brands to get to the finished product.2 or 3 of these are fighting each other not allowing the other's to bond or get a grip as they say.

pops
09-06-2005, 09:36 PM
adhesion my a$% 15-20 8lb blues LOL your lucky to have a lure HAHA !DUDE
15-20 8lb blues <XXXXXX> razor sharp teeth set in miniature vices and the misses !! I had 1 yes 1 lol hit a new darter and had teeth marks etched on the top and bottom like a steak knife was scraped on it !!! if 20 had done the same thing it would look like yours .

Diggin Jiggin
09-07-2005, 06:42 AM
Thanks guys, finishing is definitely the weak spot for me.

Jigman, I like that methodical step by step, that would definitely pinpoint the problem. Capesams, thanks for the lesson on paint compatability.

I'll keep it simple this round and see how it goes. Hopefully this winter I can go the airbrush route and then I can start mixing up the colors the way I want.