View Full Version : landing fish on jetty

jfisher
09-09-2005, 04:57 PM
Is there any way to land a big fish on a jetty safely and still be able to release them?

fishsmith
09-09-2005, 05:53 PM
don't sweat it, just use common sense. have your pliers ready if needed and get the hook out quick, get the fish back in the water. If it means splitting your head open or killing a fish, kill the fish. Plus dead fish feed the crabs, no one ever thinks about the crabs...........

Rappin Mikey
09-10-2005, 12:05 AM
What jedi R U catching big fish on? I will test it out, and let you know what I think. :devil:

The Iceman 6
09-10-2005, 08:37 AM
Prob, depends on the Jetti. Def. release fish at the bottom of the jetti if amd get the fish back in the water asap, no need to walk the fish back up the jetti, show your friends, take a picture, then throw the fish in from the top of the jetti. NOW, if you're planning on keeping the fish, disregard all above statements....

Nebe
09-10-2005, 08:49 AM
8 fot gaff- hit the fish right on the side of the lower lip, or scramble down and muggle it up the rocks by hand.

i hope you have korkers :D

NIB
09-10-2005, 09:04 AM
First off korkers are a must. when fishin jetties i always scower the area for a plce to slide a fish up or a place where i can get down a grab em.U can make a gaff wit a small gaff hook an stick it in there mouths.this method is applied regularly in NJ.Ur own saftey is a big concern also don't dillie dally on the bottom get down get the fish an get back up.get em un hooked an put em back.Swells show up out of no where's an can sweep u of the bottom of a rockpile in short notice.

Zeno
09-10-2005, 09:49 AM
As a jetty addict I can tell you that although there is no "easy" way of landing a fish there are few things that will increase your chances of getting it "on" the rocks instead of "in" the rocks.Those like me who popped plenty of fish "in" the rocks will understand

Korkers a must.It will give you a better balance ,sure footing on slimy rocks ,especially those on the base of the jetty ,the ones you have to get on to land a big fish.After all ,you cant lift a big fish as something in your tackle will give ,be that rod or line or a knot.
I find that the finding a place to land a fish BEFORE you make your first cast is a must.Otherwise you will look around in desperation like a googan for a place to steer the fish.If possible ,I try to find a rock that is close to the water and preferably sloped on a angle towards the water were I can "slide" the fish on by putting in on the wave.I find that letting wave lift a fish onto the wave work better that using your rod to do the same.Obviously the tricky part is not to overshoot the desired location and let it land somewhere in no-man's land
You can try to find a spot were there is a sufficient hole between two rocks and you can bring your fish in.Sounds easy but is not.If your large fish is "in" the water between two rocks and your leader comes in the contact with either rocks ......say your prayers.That's why I prefer to either land a fish before it hits the rock or let the wave put in on top
Again ,it depends on the make up or the jetty.Of course the biggest variable is something you cant control ,weather.On a calm day ,I will look for a rock on the base of the jetty I can stand on ,up to knee deep and land a fish away from the rocks.On a rough day........buy a wetsuit
NIB is right.No dilly-dallying.Get down ,grab a fish and get out there.Weird stuff happens when you try to do to much while testing mother nature fury........and its usually all bad

SeaWolf
09-10-2005, 08:24 PM
zeno has covered many of the highlghts on fishing jetties and like he says, each is unique. in south county, there are 4 jetties, each is unique and each side has difference characteristics. your best best is to go down there during the daylight on a day w/ a moderate surf to see how the waves break on the jetty and find the places (you'll want to know more than one) to land a fish. at night, the waves always appear larger than during the day. if you are not into fish consistently, pay attention to the waves and the patterns. if you know every 10 waves or so a set of 3 large ones come, time your landing of the fish around then. don't kill yourself over a fish, no matter what the size as jetties are no place for mistakes. fishing a s/c jetty w/o korkers is asking for serious personal injury. as for a gaff, it depends. some you can use a larger one, but you should have a partner (one gaffs one holds the rod). others, a short hand gaff works well as you can gaff it under the bottom lip and climb quickly back up the rocks. use your judgement, but at night respect other jetty fishermen by shielding/cupping your light from the water or else you will hear it. lastly, a 9' rod can help you on the rocks as you can be more nimble w/ it.

The Iceman 6
09-11-2005, 09:21 AM
Zeno/Sea Wolf -

Excellent responses.
ps: I've been in "prayer" mode many times...
ps2: you'd have to be an idiot to not have korkers..

Ice

macojoe
09-11-2005, 09:33 AM
If you can't get to it safely, Cut The Line!! The hook will rust and problem solved!