View Full Version : pvc pipe ok for storing linseed / mineral spirits combo?

doyle007
09-14-2005, 01:15 PM
guys, i'm about to seal my first set of plugs, and i'll probably be using the boiled linseed / mineral spirits method. i read the warning on the linseed oil can, and it said to dispose of rags in a metal container filled with water..yada yada yada. it did not say anything about it eating thru plastic or something like a pvc pipe. i believe that i saw a picture somewhere where a person had a pvc pipe with a cap on the bottom, and then another cap that could be removed on the top. inside was the linseed/mineral spirits concoction. i plan to dip only one plug at a time, and i figured that the pvc pipe method would work fine. any cons to doing it this way?

also, what should i do with the rags (paper towels) after i wipe off the extra liquid after dipping? can i hang them outside and let the liquid evaporate and dry, and then just throw them in the garbage? :huh:

BigFish
09-14-2005, 01:58 PM
Yup! I do it! PVC cement a cap on the bottom and leave the top loose of course! Works great!

Don't yada yada the warnings about properly disposing of those rags...they will combust if you are not careful....buy an empty 1 gallon paint can and lid at Home Depot and put them in there with a little water and close the lid tight.....keep em wet and throw them out when the can fills up! :bgi: