View Full Version : Breathables Question

Slingah
09-14-2005, 05:23 PM
Do breathable waders ever loose the ability to be waterproof??? Like water seeping in? I cannot find a leak and the seams look fine. They are 5 layer Cabela's...material looks fine also. Any suggestions??? Seal seams??? Spray on some sort of waterproofing??? I need these to last the remainder of the season....and its gonna get cold. Not getting soaked just kinda damp....and its not sweat.
Thanks in advance

Sweetwater
09-14-2005, 06:37 PM
I owned a pair of Cabelas breathables and after about 3 years of use, they simply leaked. I used aquaseal on ALL the seams...but it still leaked. I tossed them and order a new pair (also from Cabelas) Dry Plus II..and the material is different and the cut is less bag (so the legs don't rub when you walk). I've gotten one season so far and they're fine.

I think Cabelas changed something in the last year or so about the materials in their waders and it seems superior to previous models.

tattoobob
09-14-2005, 07:53 PM
I own LL Beans mine also started to leak after 1.5 yrs., life time warrantee
no questions asked and a new pair is on the way. and I can use the old ones till the new ones arrive.

Jay Dog
09-14-2005, 08:15 PM
Rich check out the Simms website under accesories for a product call Reviex. That may do the trick for you and maybe some Simms dealers have it in stock. The stuff may work for you

reelecstasy
09-15-2005, 07:11 AM
Rich check out the Simms website under accesories for a product call Reviex. That may do the trick for you and maybe some Simms dealers have it in stock. The stuff may work for you
I saw that stuff at Kittery trading post, looked pretty cool...Dunno if it works though..

NIB
09-15-2005, 07:51 AM
I think revivex has to be heated.like in the dryer to activate or bond the chemical.U gotta try to rinse em after salt use.The saline crystals get in there when the dry they sepereate the micro fabric.Over time breakin it down.After a while moister seeps tru.

Slingah
09-15-2005, 06:10 PM
I think revivex has to be heated.like in the dryer to activate or bond the chemical.U gotta try to rinse em after salt use.The saline crystals get in there when the dry they sepereate the micro fabric.Over time breakin it down.After a while moister seeps tru.
thats what I was thinking NIB.....its seeping, not leaking and I do rinse everytime....only bout a month left anyhoo....maybe Ill try the revivex
all waders s*ck.....I wanna hear how #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&s simms are holding up after 2+ years....then Ill buy a pair....I know he puts em' to use

NIB
09-15-2005, 06:51 PM
I have a pair of Simms bootfoot size 11 worn 2 maybe three times.The good ones.They where over 3 bills.I sell em for a song.

labrax
09-15-2005, 09:11 PM
I have had two pairs of these waders - sent the first pair back as they started to seem damp in the feet at first and then gradually got worse. The second pair also started to feel damp, then one foot seemed to be really damp - almost wet, then it was wet, now I can pour water out of both feet.

I think that there is a problem around the area where the neoprene boot joins with the fabric body material. In the pair that I have now and the previous pair - there seems to be a very thin inner membrane, or mesh-like fabric that is attached to the outer fabric. I noticed that these two layers were separating from each other. In the first leaking pair, this separation was just over the boot foot neoprene material - there were even a couple of small holes in this fine mesh-like material. I think this is where the leak was and is currently in the 2nd pair also. The separation might be from wearing a high-top wading show that has a fairly rigid vinyl (pleather?) top and having this wading boot wearing the fabric right over the boot top causing the separating material.

I'd recommend calling them and discussing this with a Customer Service Rep at Cabelas and seeing if you can replace them now. IMO - the problem will only get worse. Mine are 3 years old, but only have about 30 trips in them - which I do not consider heavy use.

Good luck - heading into the fall having wet cold feet is no fun.

Pete_G
09-15-2005, 11:31 PM
Revivex will not repair any sort of actual leak, it WILL bring back that ability of the fabric to shed off water.

That ability can definitely be important, without it most breathable fabrics will feel clammy.

Durable Water Repellant (http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentGView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=10257)

basswipe
09-16-2005, 05:51 AM
Revivex will not repair any sort of actual leak, it WILL bring back that ability of the fabric to shed off water.

That ability can definitely be important, without it most breathable fabrics will feel clammy.

Durable Water Repellant (http://www.gore-tex.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentGView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=10257)

Great link Pete.

I wonder how many folks thought they had a leak and did not.

I've begun to notice from the knee down on my breathables that water no longer beads up.I've also noticed a cool damp feeling but remain pefectly dry.

Do you have any of this in the shop?

NIB
09-16-2005, 06:14 AM
It was a informative type link.They said to contact them for information on where to find a product to restore the DWR.If Pete has something I'm sure he does as he has a fine shop he will chime in.

NIB
09-16-2005, 06:28 AM
I have had two pairs of these waders - sent the first pair back as they started to seem damp in the feet at first and then gradually got worse. The second pair also started to feel damp, then one foot seemed to be really damp - almost wet, then it was wet, now I can pour water out of both feet.

I think that there is a problem around the area where the neoprene boot joins with the fabric body material. In the pair that I have now and the previous pair - there seems to be a very thin inner membrane, or mesh-like fabric that is attached to the outer fabric. I noticed that these two layers were separating from each other. In the first leaking pair, this separation was just over the boot foot neoprene material - there were even a couple of small holes in this fine mesh-like material. I think this is where the leak was and is currently in the 2nd pair also. The separation might be from wearing a high-top wading show that has a fairly rigid vinyl (pleather?) top and having this wading boot wearing the fabric right over the boot top causing the separating material.

I'd recommend calling them and discussing this with a Customer Service Rep at Cabelas and seeing if you can replace them now. IMO - the problem will only get worse. Mine are 3 years old, but only have about 30 trips in them - which I do not consider heavy use.

Good luck - heading into the fall having wet cold feet is no fun.

Not sayin u weren't.U have to be mindfull of the area where the gore fabric meets the neopreme.for that maTTer ant place there's a seam.don't pull ur waders on from the top stressing that area.I learned the hard way i had a tan pair of the orvis waders wit the boot foot.I repaired that seam three times then the boot started rippin.i hated givin em up they where very comfy.turn em inside out get some cotol to clean the area it helps settin up quicker so's it don't run an goop the hell out of it.Some waders don't fit right.if not tall enough just walkin can stress that area sitting can be worse.they make many different size configurations but unfortunately they don't cover all the bases.I have trouble because i am 240 lbs 6'1" wit a size 10.5 foot.11 is too big an u can really get big waders untill u get to size 12 shoe.Findng a good fit is part o the problem if u got that worked out ur golden.

Jay Dog
09-16-2005, 07:14 AM
NIB do you pefer a country or rock song for those waders? Let me know sounds like I'm the same size you are

Pete_G
09-16-2005, 07:30 AM
Great link Pete.

I wonder how many folks thought they had a leak and did not.

I've begun to notice from the knee down on my breathables that water no longer beads up.I've also noticed a cool damp feeling but remain pefectly dry.

Do you have any of this in the shop?

I think I do. I'm at home now, so I'm not 100% on that. If I don't, Team 1 is in the same building as me and they always have Revivex and other products in stock since they sell foul weather gear.

Pete_G
09-16-2005, 07:46 AM
Also, pinhole leaks (if they're real small) on breathable waders feel a lot like clammy waders which makes them difficult to diagnose.

The rubbing alcohol trick can help you ID any tough to spot leaks though, at least on Gore-Tex products. For other fabrics, I'd be careful with the alcohol trick, check with the maunfacturer first.

The best sort of hole in your breathables is something caused by a hook because you can easily see it and repair it.

Slingah
09-16-2005, 10:16 AM
what is the rubbing alcohol trick?

labrax
09-16-2005, 10:18 AM
NIB - thanks for the reply to my post.

I am sure that I have pulled on the waders at some point to get them on or off and that may have contributed to the issue, but I still think there is a problem with that area of the wader, as the fabric has been separating further up the leg. I'd imagine the same force (as pulling on the waders) could be applied in a regular fishing situation too - like taking a big step to crawl up on a rock with a wading belt/stripping basket and the neoprene bootie cinched tight in the boot. My waders are pretty big on me (used to even be more room :rollem: - ordered the XL stocky model (5'11" 215lb), so they are not that bad to get on or off, especially since I have not been wearing socks in them for a while now - too wet.

If they weren't so comfortable to wear and walk-in then I would just go back to the neoprenes as patching hols in them with Aquaseal or Goop wasn't too hard.

Have a good weekend,

Pete

Slingah
09-16-2005, 10:24 AM
I'd recommend calling them and discussing this with a Customer Service Rep at Cabelas and seeing if you can replace them now. .
tried that....Im on my third pair....they told me its been over a year and to send em back and they will look at them........I cant be bothered at this point....Ill be buying another brand next year......the last pairs were sent no questions asked....they must of had enough of that

Pete_G
09-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Wader Care and Repair Tricks (http://www.orvis.co.uk/intro.asp?subject=277&bhcp=1)

There is some pretty good info there.

labrax
09-16-2005, 10:45 AM
Slingah,

That stinks - use them till the end of the season here and then ship them back in the winter for an 'evaluation' - if they wont replace have them ship them back to you.

I won't be buying them again either.

Pete F.
09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
One thing I found that helps to keep my feet dry is felt insoles in my boots, they pick get damp but are easy to remove and dry. Then again mine are starting to weep around the boottop also and that's what killed my last pair.

flysully
09-17-2005, 04:16 PM
Most savvy fishermen are relying on the "top wader seller's" warrantee which is "satisfaction guaranteed" to take care of their breathable bootfoot waders leakage, which is a given in most every case for the breathables, regardless of the make, it seems, from posts I've read, just forever. For some reason, no matter what improvements are made, breathable bootfoots still leak. They may leak after four outings or after a year, but they do leak. After 16 cheerful returns at my wader store, I decided to take a chance on Simms, whose waders fishermen praise. Yes, it was an upgrade price-wise. And that's why many of us steer clear of Simms. So far, so good. Maybe six outings? Their warrantee is totally different than the big O. First you test them and try to find the leak and if you find it, maybe it's a hook hole, etc? , use their included free patch kit to repair the leak. If you're still leaking, you need to return them to Simms - postage about $11. I'll find out what occurs then if I do have a leak. I hear the first repair is free. I hope I will be as pleased as others I've met on the beach wearing Simms waders. Otherwise, I'll be wondering why I strayed from that great O warrantee! I've got to say, though, that the Simms bootfoot breathables have the most comfortable boot I've worn, bar none. The boot stays put on your foot. Good luck in your search for non leaking bootfoot breathables. Right now, I feel all the mfrs. are hoping that theirs are the ones that won't leak after a couple of trips. But, from what I hear on the beach, most do!

pops
09-17-2005, 04:30 PM
ive had simms breathbls bootft for 3 years and only had 2 hook holes fixed myself NO OTHER LEAKS ! the "damp foot" feeling is taken care of for all waders by wearing wicking socks [mountainclimbing stores] they keep the moisture off the foot, I wear 1 layer wick 1 layer other sock , depending on temp. some socks are a combo toe - heel wick and the other area norbal.

Justfishin'
09-19-2005, 07:45 PM
I've got a pair of Orvis and a pair of Cabela's. The Orvis were expensive and leaked after about 8 hrs. When I sent them back they returned them to me saying it was "condensation in the neoprene feet of the wader"-Bulls--t! my leg was wet from the knee down after about an hour- and when I wanted my money back they wanted to pro rate them. So don't waste your money on Orvis's over priced products! The Cabela's, while not the most comfortable out there, are $100 less than most (DryPlus) and don't leak. I've used Revivex on them and on a rain jacket-you activate it with an iron- and had good results.You should buy waders for rock crawlin'/hiking/cold weather big. If you stretch the stitching you can get seepage and you can allmost never track in down. You may not look like you're 'stylin'' but you'll be dry and warm. Get the lace-up bootfoot for sand, I can walk for a couple of hours-to Napatree and back- with no discomfort. Hope this helps.