View Full Version : Getting started

crash
09-16-2005, 10:53 AM
How did all of you get started? I've been wanting to do this for a while and found this cool forum in my research. Did you buy a book or anything? I've been striper fishing for a long time and have so many ideas, but no idea how to implement them effectively. Thanks!
-Charlie

BigFish
09-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the site! I got started right here! Do alot of searching...alot of reading and paying attention....alot of asking questions....and get a good lathe to start...does not have to be an expensive one. Sometimes a good Grizzly lathe can be had for less than $100.00. Just read many of the threads here...past and present and you will be making nice plugs that catch fish in no time! There are some talented and helpful folks in here....good luck! :bgi:

justplugit
09-16-2005, 11:04 AM
Charlie, welcome. Just start by doing searches on this forum. Everything and anything you need is already posted. Once you have a few of the basics down,fire away with your questions and you will get all the help you want right here. :D

Raven
09-16-2005, 11:12 AM
(ishouldbefishin) welcome to S-B

this site is the Saturday Night Live of all fishing sites and where i hang my fishin hat as do many others... Have fun...and read until your eyes get blury:think:

striperondafly
09-16-2005, 12:32 PM
I wish I still lived up north - I've been trying to find someone in central NJ who teaches plug building.

If anyone does - or knows anyone if you could pass the name along I'd appreciate.

I can teach rod bulding & flytying in return - or pay ya cash - whatever ya want.

Raven
09-16-2005, 01:42 PM
in february...i know its a long way off....there will be another plugfest happening and there are demo's there by the masters...

the plug making forum has allot of what you need to learn already posted in there...first step is to get a lathe.

striperondafly
09-16-2005, 01:45 PM
thanks Raven - February will be a perfect time.

I'll search the board for lathe recommendations - gracias!

Raven
09-16-2005, 02:32 PM
Glad to be of service mi amigo, de nada :wavey:..............:rotf2:

striperondafly
09-16-2005, 02:53 PM
that is too funny!!!!!!!!

Raven
09-16-2005, 03:00 PM
made ya smile :claps:

Raven
09-16-2005, 03:06 PM
one day, with my old lab named Spooky (looked just like yours)

and i shot three ducks one afternoon and all of -em dropped
then just wounded swam under water and grabbed ahold of a reed
of thick grass to hide....and spooky comes back empty handed...

i was ripsheot...to say the least...

i pointed the shotgun at him and
said " you go get those ducks or i'll shoot ya..."
he knew exactly what i meant...

took him 30 minutes but he swam and
swam til he found all three ducks.

crash
09-16-2005, 03:19 PM
Glad I ran into you guys before this rainy weekend hits, thanks for getting me going. This seems like an incredibly rewarding hobby.

Raven
09-16-2005, 03:26 PM
very satisfying...to turn your own plugs....
i just tried crab apple wood and it worked pissah!
now i just need a trip to cape cod tackle
to get some accessories and then next i'll be
purchasing an airbrush....i have allot of crazy ideas
that i can't wait to try out... should be FUN

Raven
09-16-2005, 03:34 PM
i've been collecting plug pic's so i have a frame of reference to
guide me through the process...and also because i'm addicted to art....

and have an insatiable thirst to manipulate photo's to my liking
as you probably have noticed lol i'm having way to much fun.

Bernzy
09-16-2005, 03:44 PM
I would recommend starting off by purchasing a few kits from NJ tackle.You get everything you need. You do everything except turning and drilling. Some sandpaper, sealer, primer, paint and clearcoat and you'll
be catching fish on your plugs in no time. :hihi:
IMO, it's a better way to start out. Once you start buying power tools etc., the spending never ends :shocked:

Bernzy

BigFish
09-16-2005, 03:50 PM
Bernzy is right on the spending thing....my first plug cost me about $4,000.00......now they each cost about $100.00! Trying the NJTackle kits might be good advice too.....big learning curve with making plugs....like anything else if you spend all the money and then find out it is not your cup of tea....you are stuck with all the expensive stuff! :cool:

Listen to Bernzy...he what of he speaks! ;)

Raven
09-16-2005, 04:00 PM
quoting bernzy: Once you start buying power tools etc., the spending never ends...:rolleyes:

what do use for a sander.....after your plug is finished on the lathe.

i'm thinking about a stationary rotary sander for example...
any preferences for model and manufacturer? also a mini drill press.

i'm not going into buisness but want more plugs than i will ever need for trading...benefits, raffles,gifts ect.
and have almost everything else except a air brush and lots of paint...

Bernzy
09-16-2005, 04:05 PM
I picked up a 4" belt/disc sander for short money (about 60 bux) at Harbor Freight.
Not fancy, but it works.

Bernzy

BigFish
09-16-2005, 04:06 PM
I do most of my sanding right on the lathe! :) What kind of sanding you talking about Raven?

Raven
09-16-2005, 04:10 PM
i had a phone call and then that makes the freakin dog go from half impulse power to warp factor 10 in 3 seconds.....geesch

on sanding.....
i meant ...just for the ends mostly or for making the flat spots on the sides or on top....

BigFish
09-16-2005, 04:13 PM
I am looking for a disc/belt sander like Bernzy said...I got a cheapie that is ok but looking for something heavy duty!

Raven
09-16-2005, 04:24 PM
yeah belt sanders are pissah for sharpening chisels.....
because you can get that scalloped out curve )| near the point
by holding it right on the curve of the belt sander...

i have so much stuff to buy that i 'll have to go back to work....:wall:

you guys gotta try crab apple (free wood) its sweet looking
and as hard as hard rock maple.... good weight to it too
i wont have to add much weight to these babies.....they'll
cast a country mile.....

justplugit
09-16-2005, 04:27 PM
Larry, if ya get the heavy duty belt sander get the best belts you can buy. One of those suckers breaks and you'll jump right up thru your new shops roof.
Don't ask me how i know.:doh: :)

BigFish
09-16-2005, 04:29 PM
Yeah Dave I never skimp on quality...thanks for the heads up on the breaking belts! :)

Raven
09-16-2005, 04:35 PM
only a hundred clams at the domed heapo

striperondafly
09-16-2005, 04:52 PM
I would recommend starting off by purchasing a few kits from NJ tackle.You get everything you need. You do everything except turning and drilling. Some sandpaper, sealer, primer, paint and clearcoat and you'll
be catching fish on your plugs in no time. :hihi:
IMO, it's a better way to start out. Once you start buying power tools etc., the spending never ends :shocked:

Bernzy

Bernzy - I thought about that but when I check there page they where sold out of alot of the kits. I'll keep checking back.

Probably a really good idea cause I only plan to build for me and a few close friends who take me fishing.

MAC
09-16-2005, 04:53 PM
Here is what I use. It also converts into a spindle sander.

Raven
09-16-2005, 05:19 PM
ya gots there MAC.......part of the drill through set up perhaps?