View Full Version : Harassment

jkswimmer
09-16-2005, 07:27 PM
I was at Deep Hole at S. kingston RI on wendsday nite. After fishing for awhile and returning to my truck sitting inside with the door open. I was decieding where to go next when a cop pulled into the lot, first he checks out some surfers parked in the corner. After getting no responce from them he heads my way. When he comes over I say hello, he asks what am I doing. Now I have three rigged rods on the roof of the truck. I told him I just finished fishing, He said that the area is closed after dark until a half hour before sun rise. As the information was coming back from my liecence plate run, I questioned him on this he said I should read the sign on my way out. Not wanting to push the issue said I was leaving. His reply was after my drivers liecence cleared I could leave. I did read the sign on the way out and he partially right except for the last which was in english. EXCEPT FOR FISHING AND BOATING. Has any one else had this problem.

Got Stripers
09-16-2005, 07:41 PM
I'd have gone back and suggested he follow you to the sign to read it together:).

Backbeach Jake
09-16-2005, 07:59 PM
Just another officious jerk... Guys like make their Chief's jobs harder than they should be. :rollem:

BigFish
09-16-2005, 08:57 PM
Just keep fishing there just as you always have....he can go spit in his hat! Tell him to read the sign on HIS way out! :bgi:

piemma
09-17-2005, 09:41 AM
I have fished Deep Hole all my life and never had a problem. Must be a rookie. We talk with those guys all the time and have never had them say word one.

Swimmer
09-17-2005, 03:27 PM
GOT JERK?:humpty:

Bill L
09-17-2005, 03:58 PM
You should not have had any issues, WTF is he even running your plates for? My guess is either a rookie, or maybe word came down from the top to crack down on surfers camping in the lot with the predicted swell. There has been a problem with them overunning the place when the surf is up. Two years ago (I think) the cops, at the prodding of some local surfcasters) were actually ticketing surfers because it is a fishing lot.

kayaman
09-19-2005, 11:59 AM
I have also had a similar problem here on the south shore..... I have been told that I cannot fish in several areas that I have always fished... there are no signs... after one night I left without arguing with the officer(he had an attitude while first inquiring what I was doing, this changed after I said I would leave) several nights later I went to town meeting and questioned the selectmen on this and was told I have every right to fish there..... last week back at the same place... had no luck and was just leaving when a police car pulls up and shines spotlight in my eyes and asks what I was doing.... I informed him that I had just cast a line out to test the waters... he let me go without further questioning but as I was driving down 3A I turned on my scanner in time to hear my plate being run.... now I grew up in this town and to have my plate run and be questioned on what I was doing in a public place is getting me pissed.... fisherman are just not wanted by all the "new" residence that think the town is so quaint and new englandish.... damn, I can't stand folks that have no clue as to the history of the area and think it is for their pleasure and theirs alone.....

Redsoxticket
09-19-2005, 12:25 PM
The police were just doing there job. There was no lost, you were still able to fish. It is not like he prevented or halted your fishing. What if he ran someone's plate to find out that it was the car seen to have stolen fishing equipment from cars from Watch Hill to Newport. Now you would be saying, the cops are doing a good job.

MotoXcowboy
09-19-2005, 12:48 PM
fishermen are allowed but no surfers? Thats messed up..

Surfers pay taxes too.

The Dad Fisherman
09-19-2005, 12:53 PM
We live in a different time now and EVERYBODY is a suspect. As long as you didn't do anything wrong there shouldn't be a problem running the plate. Just let them do ther job and chill out. Not for nothing but, Fishing rods on a rack or not, anybody sitting in a car in a parking lot at 3 AM looks suspicious. They're just doing their job.

If they don't run the plate and you turn out to be a 10 time DUI offender w/ a revoked license and you take out a school bus 1/2 hour later....then everybody wants to hang this cop out to dry because he could of had you before it ever happened.

Bill L
09-19-2005, 12:58 PM
The police were just doing there job.

I disagree with that. He was in a state owned public lot that is not closed to fishing at any time, yet he was questioned and hassled by the cops? Why don't they just sit in the grocery store parking lot and start asking people what they are doing, where they are going, and run their plates? Its an erosion of our rights.

As far as the surfers vs. fisherman, the land was bought by the state fish and wildlife specifically for fishing access,and is maintained as such. The time they were ticketing, red bull was holding a surf contest there (with no permision or permits), with people from all over double parked in the lot and up and down the street. You couldn't even get in the lot.

RIROCKHOUND
09-19-2005, 01:00 PM
argh.. I remember that weekend... great surf and there had been fish there right before...
I think I walked in from the Ocean Mist anyways.. cant remember

Bill L
09-19-2005, 01:02 PM
Thank God they dont surf a night!

As far as looking suspicious at 3am parked in a lot with rods on your rack, maybe elsewhere, but at a FISHING access lot, I dont think so.

Redsoxticket
09-19-2005, 01:13 PM
The wanted criminal could be assumming the character of a fisherman at 3:00am in order to avoid being noticed that is to say being incognito.

zacs
09-19-2005, 01:46 PM
He could also be assuming the role of you mowing your lawn on a sunday afternoon. Better search your house, just in case....

It is complete BS that the cop did anything. obviously a rookie.

Diamond Tackle
09-19-2005, 02:41 PM
I agree with Toonoc,
Sounds like harassment to me.
If he wanted to do his "job" This same cop would have a lot better luck finding suspicious persons by hanging across the street from a 7-11 at 3 am. Drunks seem to love Burritos at that time of day.
I am very fortunate that here in NJ at many of my fish spots We have a very good relationship with the cops,We act as their eyes and ears in the wee hours and they appreciate it. Maybe NJ is not so bad after all compared to RI and Mass. I have gotten stopped, but never hassled when they see I am not drunk and obviously fishing.
On SEVERAL occasions the officers was extremely POLITE and said, "just wanted to look into your eyes since you were driving like you are tired" (chk for drinking) have a good night sir,some even said "good luck" fishing.

Springtides
09-19-2005, 04:16 PM
Look we are all adults here. Learn to deal with this stuff and turn it around. Make them realize stuff about surf fishing. Nightime etc. If you get a tough rookie its just makes it a little harder to communicate but you can do it.
By the way, all summer long in South Kingstown some bastard(s) been breaking into unlocked automobiles in peoples driveways and stealing fishing equipment. There would be other things in the automobiles but they were after fishing equipment. The community knows the police have been trying to get the bastard(s). Now where is a spot that bastards would hang and frequent if they were looking for fishing equipment?

I for one am glad they have their eye on Deep Hole etc.

jkswimmer
09-19-2005, 04:49 PM
During our exchange of words he asked why I came all the way from Mass. to fish here. But if people's fishing takle is being ripped off then it all makes sense and he could have said so.

piemma
09-19-2005, 05:06 PM
I agree with Toonoc,
Sounds like harassment to me.
If he wanted to do his "job" This same cop would have a lot better luck finding suspicious persons by hanging across the street from a 7-11 at 3 am. Drunks seem to love Burritos at that time of day.
I am very fortunate that here in NJ at many of my fish spots We have a very good relationship with the cops,We act as their eyes and ears in the wee hours and they appreciate it. Maybe NJ is not so bad after all compared to RI and Mass. I have gotten stopped, but never hassled when they see I am not drunk and obviously fishing.
On SEVERAL occasions the officers was extremely POLITE and said, "just wanted to look into your eyes since you were driving like you are tired" (chk for drinking) have a good night sir,some even said "good luck" fishing.
Happened to me this past Spring. Narragansett cop stopped me for 39 in a 35. Obviously wanted to see if I had been drinking as it was 3 am. Anyway, I was on my way to net Herring and told him so. He wished me luck and sent me on my way saying "I wouldn't want to hold up a guy live lining herring. I thought that was nice of him.

ThrowingTimber
09-19-2005, 05:55 PM
Happened to us at a dif. loca. this spring. Two of us were on parole :angel: at the time so we didnt want to act up... Blackguy pulled the old man card and called the station, spoke with officer running the night shift and they radio'd the kid (rookie) and said we were cool to fish. :vamp: I thought my idea of tying him up and hanging him off a cliff was better, but chris kept it mellow :kewl:

Swimmer
09-20-2005, 01:19 PM
Just in case some of you don't know some fishermen drink and drive, ya its the truth. Some fishermen even have a cold beer on public property, bad boys that we can be sometimes. Some fishermen even smoke dope in these parking lots as I have seen alluded to here in rap verse.

More to the point and I have some experience in this. Running plates especially with the new mobile data terminals is an extraordinarily non intrusive way of checking someone out. "Like one of the guys said I heard him run my plate on my scanner as he left," cops find more bad guys do vehicle stops than doing any other kind of enforcement. Stopping cars gets the b & e boys and girls off the streets. Besides fishermen who else is out at 3 a.m. with the price of gas as it is. Stopping in and asking someone what thier up to at 3 a.m. anywhere is a fair question. Think of the balls it takes to do that day in and day out. Thier is no such thing as a routine traffic stop or routine interaction of any kind with the public. Every time a cop stops someone could be his last. Nothing irks me more when the news broadcast at 6 P.M. starts out, "Breaking News, a routine traffic stop turn deadly today for the father of three and twenty year veteran of the blank police department." Tell what is routine about a traffic stop. Or what is routine about stopping and asking one of us and asking, what's up?"

I don't have any saltwater areas in my town but many times I have stopped and chatted guys fresh water fishing and I could see some disliked me talking to them and I left. If anyone takes offense at meaningless banter with an on-duty officer then the problem is closer to you than it is with the officer. Do you have any idea how much an officer likes to come upon someone who'll talk to them in a decent tone of voice and not one of suspicion or outright dislike any time of the day or night. I am not trying to disparage anyones opinon or hurt anyones feeling, but next time offer the guy a coke and say hello. If he gets to know you he'll be less suspect of you and your buddies. One more thing, does anyone here know just how afraid the officer is of you? Think about it.

The Dad Fisherman
09-20-2005, 01:28 PM
Well Said.... :claps:

Just in case some of you don't know some fishermen drink and drive, ya its the truth. Some fishermen even have a cold beer on public property, bad boys that we can be sometimes. Some fishermen even smoke dope in these parking lots as I have seen alluded to here in rap verse.

More to the point and I have some experience in this. Running plates especially with the new mobile data terminals is an extraordinarily non intrusive way of checking someone out. "Like one of the guys said I heard him run my plate on my scanner as he left," cops find more bad guys do vehicle stops than doing any other kind of enforcement. Stopping cars gets the b & e boys and girls off the streets. Besides fishermen who else is out at 3 a.m. with the price of gas as it is. Stopping in and asking someone what thier up to at 3 a.m. anywhere is a fair question. Think of the balls it takes to do that day in and day out. Thier is no such thing as a routine traffic stop or routine interaction of any kind with the public. Every time a cop stops someone could be his last. Nothing irks me more when the news broadcast at 6 P.M. starts out, "Breaking News, a routine traffic stop turn deadly today for the father of three and twenty year veteran of the blank police department." Tell what is routine about a traffic stop. Or what is routine about stopping and asking one of us and asking, what's up?"

I don't have any saltwater areas in my town but many times I have stopped and chatted guys fresh water fishing and I could see some disliked me talking to them and I left. If anyone takes offense at meaningless banter with an on-duty officer then the problem is closer to you than it is with the officer. Do you have any idea how much an officer likes to come upon someone who'll talk to them in a decent tone of voice and not one of suspicion or outright dislike any time of the day or night. I am not trying to disparage anyones opinon or hurt anyones feeling, but next time offer the guy a coke and say hello. If he gets to know you he'll be less suspect of you and your buddies. One more thing, does anyone here know just how afraid the officer is of you? Think about it.

Slingah
09-20-2005, 01:36 PM

ya, well said swimmer......

outfished
09-20-2005, 01:37 PM
Do you have any idea how much an officer likes to come upon someone who'll talk to them in a decent tone of voice and not one of suspicion or outright dislike any time of the day or night.

Do you have any idea how much a regular guy who calls an officer "sir" would like to be spoken back too in a decent tone of voice? Goes both ways.

Swimmer
09-20-2005, 04:58 PM
That was my point and you made it for me again, thank-you. Goes both ways, yes "sir"ee.

Diamond Tackle
09-20-2005, 09:24 PM
A good cop, or should I say experienced cop can assess a situation in seconds, 30 seconds tops. He can also tell who needs to be questioned further, and who is obviously just relaxing and fishing. This is just such an easy one its rediculous to entertain other possibilities . Anyone of us then are suspect in any given situation and life as we know it will cease to exist.
This is just nuts, were not talking about the airport here, or a highway stop in a known drug trafficing area. Or a vehicle desciption tip on an Amber alert or something. Thats completely different.
Run the plates ,fine. but dont ENFORCE something that does not EXIST, that is called hassling a guy that works a regular job and is sacrificing sleep to enjoy the one true thing that gives him pleasure. A cop like that is wasting your tax $ and alienating the public he comes into contact with.
Please re read the begin of the thread. I dont think anyone here dislikes cops. I personally rather enjoy talking with them, hope others feel the same way. But this is just a very specific problem with inexperienced Rookies misinterpreting the law either out of ingnorance or just for their convenience, or just busting balls . Thats the way I understood the problem, and no I would not tolerate it.

kippy
09-21-2005, 06:05 AM
And you wonder why cops get a bad rap.. :rollem:

Raven
09-21-2005, 07:19 AM
the Sign is the real.... problem.... IMHO....because it is misleading or double speaking...

Anyone: can order a metal sign that says absolutely anything....

they can be fully custom or standard: it could read designated surf fishing area 24/7 365 days a year - anything you want it to say -> and they can be posted at the parking lot edge -> and NOT just on a stupid gate...

of course having the town's permission to post the sign is necessary too.

that is the Avenue of research to take with town officials for those that want change and or are seeking to protect the surf fishing at night...
fisherman's right to be there.

Bass Babe
09-21-2005, 08:24 AM
One could say I've been hassled by cops before, although not while fishing. I was followed down a back road and cornered by a police car. But -- the officer asked, "Is everything okay? The Jehovah's Witness Hall isn't open this time of night, and I noticed you have a man in your passenger seat." Now, how nice is that? I was lost, took a random turn, and here was this guy, making sure I wasn't getting carjacked and raped or something. Even if some police officers or state troopers have crap attitudes, it makes me feel secure to know that when the chips are down, they'll save my butt, no matter if they're jerks or not. And plus, everybody has bad days, and I'm sure cops do, too. Who knows, maybe you're the first person he's spoken with since he got spit on, since he discovered a dead body, or since someone insulted his mother.

snake slinger
09-21-2005, 09:30 AM
swimmer what you said is great but i use to work 2nd shift and got stoped on a regular basis for no reason.i got stop one nite and the cop told me my plate lite was out when it wasent when i wanted to get out of the car and look at it he wouldnt let me.

kayaman
09-22-2005, 10:57 AM
no where did I say I was not nice to the cop..... my father was a cop and I always treat them with respect..... the first cop I mentioned that had an attitude confronted me in a manner that was not one that any of you would have liked... I did not talk back to him, answered all his questions and said that I understood that he was doing his job. he seemed quite surprised at how nice and agreeable I was... he might not be so surprised if he were to approach with a better attitude. I know people get jaded.... but it is no excuse. the reason it bugs me is as someone else noted... we are the eyes and ears for them when we are out there.... as stated I grew up here and know the chief, luetenant(sp?) and sargeant as I went to school with them. it's not as if I am a stranger in town.

tattoobob
09-22-2005, 11:44 AM
Take a picture of the sign have it printed out in color, then when you get told to read the sign on the way out you can show him the picture. running you lic. and plate is not right either because you weren't doing anything wrong to begin with

MakoMike
09-22-2005, 11:48 AM
Probably the same jerk that got the Ocean Mist's Sunday morning bar business shut down., :(
IMHO the surfers have as much right to park there as anyone during the day. Its a public place and they are also part of the public and pay taxes.