View Full Version : I caught the strangest fish Friday . . .

BassyiusMaximus
09-19-2005, 09:42 AM
. . . while using a 4 1/2 foot spinning rod and fishing for snapper blues, besides catching snappers I was catching schoolies, about a 1:10 ratio, along with some needlefish, and much to my surprise, I caught two small Jack Crevalle's. I was fishing about a mile from Vineyard sound in one of Falmouth's saltwater ponds/bays.

Now in August of 2000, my father caught a 10-12 lb Jack Crevalle while we were fishing for stripers/bluefish among a bunch of rockpiles along the Elizabeths. At first we thought it was a butterfish but the tail was different and had the hard-tail, much like the bonito/albacore has, and the tips of the fins were very yellow and it croaked much like a sea robin while it was out of the water. right at our feet and below the dock, as we jigged our tiny kastmasters they could be seen swarming our lures in about 2-3 feet of water.

I was out Saturday, well into Saturday night, trying all my usual spots and no bonito or big basses, just bluefish. The water temp everywhere we had gone, northside/eastside MV rips, Woods Hole/Naushon northside was 69 degrees, the "storm" and rain did very little to cool the water down, so while the season started late, it looks like it will end late and with all the heat on the way, summer won't quit.

Swimmer
09-19-2005, 10:10 AM
That's awesome

snake slinger
09-19-2005, 10:46 AM
thats cool. trigger fish are pretty common this time also

labrax
09-19-2005, 11:18 AM
I too caught a small Jack Crevalle in one of the Falmouth ponds, but this was back in 96 or so - hit a chartreuse clouser and fought really well for the size of it.

CANAL RAT
09-19-2005, 04:50 PM
i saw a triggerfish swim right up to my waders near the outlet of buttermilk bay pretty cool :btu:

RoyL
09-19-2005, 07:46 PM
They make great Striper bait. I get them all the time off the docks on the cape along with other exzotics

Slipknot
09-19-2005, 07:53 PM
at a ramp on the cape just today, a guy was telling me of a kid using a sabiki rig and getting baby jacks in centerville river. I bet someone will catch a cobia near the islands soon too.

Those jack crevalles fight better than bluefish, strong fish.

jimmyCT
09-22-2005, 10:46 AM
that photo is of a blue runner. They are great bait for the tunas too.

MakoMike
09-22-2005, 11:53 AM
I caught a couple of trigger fish while sea bassing about two weeks ago, they are very common at this time of year.