View Full Version : How do you guys work needles?

Skip N
09-19-2005, 10:26 AM
I havent really used needles that much and im curious what the best method is to use these things. Do you just cast and retrieve or twich them around to give them action? Just looking for the basic retrieve. I'm assuming you need to jerk the rod and make it dart around seeing how a straight retrieve doesnt give much action to the plug. Just curious how alot of you guys work these plugs!

luds
09-19-2005, 10:52 AM
Sloooooooow can work awsome! I bet a lot of guys here have take there biggest fish on a slow retrieved needle.

At the same time twitching can help and chaning retrieves works well too. Personally I get a lot of strikes while the needle is falling after I've paused my retrieve. I've also given up on my retrieve and scored a nice bass as I was literally ripped in the needle.

Searh for posts by Bassmaster about how he fishes his plugs. I've used his methods with a lot of success. Captivating reading too! :kewl:

reelecstasy
09-19-2005, 10:53 AM
Read Sept On The Water......... Steve S. did a nice article on just that :kewl:

Karl F
09-19-2005, 10:56 AM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=7445

JHABS
09-19-2005, 11:19 AM
Lets make this simple if you Fish HABS ,And wish to Fish the Surface Cast out and reel in fast till line is tight with rod held at 1:00 Reel Very Very Slowwwwwwwwwww and HANG ON Plug will stay on the top or just under the surface,Or use a count down method by finding sink rate to fish different depths of the water colume,Most of the time you will find that the BIGGER Fish are on the Bottom, You can jerk rod every 10 to 12 cranks, THE IDEA IS SLOW and the SLOWER the BETTER, Habs are desiged to be Versitle which means all depths of the water colume , Good Luck and don't be afraid to Experiment..........