View Full Version : California Fisherman

rsk538
02-10-2002, 12:54 PM
Hello

I am and avid fisherman from California. I belong to many fishing clubs in Northern California and crew on many of the private fishing boats. I usually fish albacore and salmon but do fish rock fish and halibut.

Every year my wife and I go to visit her family in the Boston area. Every year for the past 20 years I have gone out for stripers or tuna or cod or fluke with my brother-in-law that has a boat docked in Scituate. For the past 2 years his boat has been out of commission due to dry rot.

This year I am coming back for a wedding on Nantucket in June. I will be there for 3 or 4 days and then I will go to my in-laws house at Lake Shirley.

I am looking for people that have private fishing boats in the Mass. area that would be interested in a couple of crew members that want to fish and share fuel and bait expenses and of course the running and cleanup work; this is the way we do it in California, I hope this is appropriate on the East Coast.

I am looking for guidance in finding rides. If you can help it would greatly appreciated.

Tight lines and calm seas
Richard

GBOUTDOORS
02-10-2002, 04:48 PM
Nantucket wedding? Someone have some land over on the island that could be bow hunted for deer? Richard I could probrably help you out if you could tell me some dates?

rsk538
02-10-2002, 04:55 PM
Thanks for the reply.

We will be on Nantucket 6/14 - 6/16 or 17 the wedding is the 15th. Will be in Mass. from 6/16 or 17 thru 6/24. Wew will be in shirley Mass just outside of Leominster.

I hope this helps. if you need more info let me know

Tight Lines and calm seas
Richard

JohnR
02-11-2002, 08:40 AM
Richard - welcome to S-B :btu:

I've shore fished (well, levee fished) the delta around Rio Vista for striper bass a few years back & had a small sturgeon (4 feet long of so) on for a little while :D and a few smaller stripers. With that sweet surf on the coast and all of that water in the Delta, you guys have some tremendous waters to fish, almost as good as ours :p ...

The barter system works well out here too. Now personally, I don't have a boat and while I may have one by then, she won't be, uhh, unveiled by then :eek: ... So while I can't offer you and and a guest a boat ride at least, we can work up a shore trip(providing there are no tournaments during that time)...

The 3 likely tournaments around those dates are; The S-B Cuttyhunk Derby on 6-15, the First leg of the S-B 4 leg (date still to be determined) and the Mass Striped Bass Assoc. annual derby in Boston Harbor which is usually around the end of June...

Are you available to fish during the week? Yes, because you're on vacation ;) ?

But hang around, I'm sure something will come up by then. We still have a few snowstorms to contend with before the warmer weather rolls around...

This was the winner of last years MSBA derby by none other than our own FW....

http://www.striped-bass.com/gallery/Gallery1/images/julesbigbass1a.jpg

Got Stripers
02-11-2002, 09:23 AM
While I can't help you out on Nantucket, although I sure would like to, if your into light tackle and plastic jerkbait fishing, I live and breath the ledges around Scituate. I launch there once or twice every week of the season. Be happy to take you out for a day if that appeals to you. Can't make any promises based on last years results, but in June I can guarantee you fish. http://www.rgsiroisco.com/minot1.jpg

AnthonyN
02-11-2002, 11:56 AM
WOW Thats a big fish FW Congrats on the win you surely deserved it!!

rsk538
02-11-2002, 01:45 PM
I was told that people on the eastcoast were not as open to strangers as people on the west coast. You guys prove that that is really not true.

To answwer some of your questions:

Yes we are available during the week.

Yes we love all kinds of fishing boat or shore is fine.

My bother-in-law Rob is a pro at Blues, s-b, and tuna, along with mackeral, cod, fluke, and whatever swims in your oceans having fished your waters for the last 30 years. I know that the time of year I will be there is not the greatest for blues but I hear that big s-b are just starting to come in.

Tight Lines and calm seas
Richard

Fisherwoman
02-11-2002, 08:01 PM
Thanks AnthonyN, that is my biggest ever, it was a total rush, I shook for 20 min. after getting that bad dog in the boat.

RSK538, we may be able to help you guys out to and show you some sites, we fish primarily Boston Harbor, both boat and shore. Let us know when the time is closer and we will see what we can do for ya.

GBOUTDOORS
02-11-2002, 09:18 PM
Richard Buzzards Bay is loaded with blues by the first week of June lately but you are right the cows should be in at that time. I do have the commitment I told you about earlier on the 15th and 16th but we may be able to work in a day or two in the week. My boat is only a 18.5 footer but its fine for the bay. Lets talk as it gets closer!:chatter

Jenn
02-11-2002, 10:28 PM
I was told that people on the eastcoast were not as open to strangers as people on the west coast. You guys prove that that is really not true.

I have met my fair share of rude people and they are out there but strangely enough all the good people congregate here!!!!! seriously I have met quite a few of these people in person and trust me when I tell you there is a good bunch here!!!!;) ;) ;)