View Full Version : Storm Shads.

Rob Rockcrawler
09-22-2005, 12:05 PM
Anyone notice a reduction in the effectiveness of storm shads. I have only caught 2 fish on them so far this year. They used to slay the fish, i dont know if im doing somnehting different or what, i still dont leave home without a couple but they arent catching like they used too. They seem to do better in the fall but used to produce much better all year. I dont use em nearly as much as i used to, now i have more confidence in wood and eels, but they still should be slaying the schoolies. Just wondering if its just me, or if these fish are getting smarter. :rollem:

The Dad Fisherman
09-22-2005, 12:31 PM
I noticed that too, Thought it was me. I've caught maybe a half dozen all year on them. This year I was having a ton of luck w/ the small 4" Fin-s in pearl instead of the Storm. Also been trying a lot of different lures just to get used to them.

jaywalker33
09-22-2005, 12:42 PM
Noticed that myself. I have been getting a lot of mine on Queen Cocahoes in pearl and that rusty color, not sure what its called. Too be honest, I never had much luck with the storm or tsunami shads.

reelecstasy
09-22-2005, 01:51 PM
Noticed that myself. I have been getting a lot of mine on Queen Cocahoes in pearl and that rusty color, not sure what its called. Too be honest, I never had much luck with the storm or tsunami shads. Queen Cocahoes-pearl my favorite for schoolies...My favorite shad is the Calcutta. You can retrieve them a little slower and still have a nice action to them with the paddle tail, that and the raised gills :humpty: and they still produce........

t.orlando
09-22-2005, 02:25 PM
Still working for me. Have noticed the quality of the big ones has gone down.Dont hold up as well as old ones.

jaywalker33
09-22-2005, 02:48 PM
RE, Have you gotten any big fish on Cocahoes? I seem to only get small schoolies, even when I know the big fish are around. Never tried sluggos, I am thinking of trying those or the fin-s.

Bob Thomas
09-22-2005, 02:55 PM
I caught a TON of fish on them earlier this year. Still my "Go to"

reelecstasy
09-22-2005, 03:32 PM
nah, schoolies love em, but the biggins just follow them....

Redsoxticket
09-22-2005, 03:44 PM
I have yet to try spraying bunker oil on cotton terry cloth material or better yet a sponge attached to the hook.