View Full Version : Weekapaug SurfCasters/Al Gag

Don M
02-13-2002, 02:22 PM
This is an open invitation to the members of striped-bass.com.

The Weekapaug SurfCasters will be having there next meeting Sunday March 3rd starting 12:30PM at the Quonochoctaug Grange Hall route 1 north Charlestown RI. The grange hall is between East Beach Rd and West Beach Rd right next to the Texaco gas station.

SPECIAL NOTE: Al Gag will be the guest speaker at the 1:30. As most of you know Al puts on quite a show. If you have not seen him it is well worth it. AL tells us that he has some interesting new material this year. Al will be selling his plugs at this meeting with all proceeds going to the MDA. Al sells these plugs at a drastic mark down. This would be a good time to stock up with Gag’s Gabbers and help the MDA.

This meeting is open to the public and invitations will be extended to other clubs. There will be a cover charge of $2.00 to cover any expenses. The presentation will start upstairs in the Grange Hall around 1:30. The house committee will provide food and refreshments for one and all. The club will also hold a raffle after the presentation with a great selection of fishing gear.

If anyone needs additional directions or information you can email me at donm@weekapaug.com

Thanks,
Don M

chris L
02-13-2002, 02:29 PM
sounds like a good way to spend a cold Sunday . Let me see how things work out maybe I can make it .

Thanks for the info Don ! how is the remodeling going at the shop ?

Don M
02-13-2002, 02:41 PM
Chris, Shop is coming along fine, there will be lots of new stuff for the new season. Would be great seeing you hope you can make it.

JohnR
02-13-2002, 02:55 PM
For anyone that hasn't seen an Al Gags show - they are hillarious to everyone except for the guy he ends up picking on (Right Chub'sDad? ;) )

Definitely worth seeing - He may even have stuff from his ESPN TV show going by then... Don - I'll probably be there...

Krispy
02-13-2002, 04:24 PM
I'm gonna make the drive for this one, too

mikecc
02-13-2002, 05:17 PM
I heard rumors at one of the trade shows that Al Gag was selling out.
Have you heard anything?

bo_peep
02-14-2002, 04:35 PM
as far as i'm concerned Mr. Gags "sold out" long ago....

JohnR
02-14-2002, 04:44 PM
You might be right about that Lil Bo'peep - but his show can be hilarious...

mikecc
02-14-2002, 07:18 PM
:p :laughs:

JohnS
02-14-2002, 07:28 PM
Howdy all long time no type here. I concur with JohnR I saw Al last year at the CT Surfcasters Club and he's quite the card. Never a dull moment with that guy. If I learned anything from him it's flip those floating popper he makes upside down, so you can get the damn snap on! I would never use his poppers because I change plugs so frequently, just that little bit of advice went along ways. Marc Z sets up some excellent speakers for us, Kudos Marc!

JohnS

AnthonyN
02-14-2002, 09:17 PM
The Gags poppers seem to scare more fish than catch. I think the rattle is way too loud. Maybe its just me?? I really never caught much on them for example I casted a gags popper in a school of blues and the blues didn't even touch it!! I am talking about the 2oz poppers here. The small ones are not too bad but I have other go to poppers besides them. I use the small gags poppers as a last resort if nothing is hitting anything else.

What do you guys mean he "sold out"

redcrbbr
02-14-2002, 10:51 PM
hmmmm. now that football has ended, sounds like a good way to kill some time and meet a few more people

HESH2
02-17-2002, 09:59 AM
INVITE SOUNDS GREAT,I'M GOING TO TRY AND MAKE IT.

JohnR
03-03-2002, 11:06 AM
Just a reminder that this is today!!! Get out of the rain and hit the fishin' show!!!

Personally, I'm hanging with the wife today, I really owe her some time, so I can't make it like originally planned...

Don M
03-04-2002, 11:34 AM
As always the Al Gag soow was quite entertaining and informative. He had a great video on fishing the moth of the Connecticut river. They fished live snapper blues and eels during the day. Lots of action and some big fish.

Al raffled and sold lots of his plugs at a reduced price. All the revenue will be donated to the MDA. Thanks AL!

For all you Alwife/Herring fishermen on the Connecticut and Thames rivers. Al brought up the fact that a new law has or will be passed(not sure) need to do a little more research. That fishermen may not have Alwives or Herring in their possession on these rivers. If anyone has any additional info on this it would be appriciated.

Thanks,
Don M

chris L
03-04-2002, 06:33 PM
heres the dope on herring in Ct
The Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) announced the taking of anadromous alewives and blueback herring from inland and marine waters of the State of Connecticut is prohibited. The closure is effective February 8, 2002 and shall remain in effect until March 31, 2003 or until such earlier date as the Commissioner may declare. The DEP is taking this action because river herring populations have declined to historically low levels, potentially compromising their ability to sustain themselves.
if you go to http://www.dep.state.ct.us/
click on "fisheries emergency herring closure " then go to "herring broshure " for all the info they want us to read and believe . The stripers ate them all ! oh OK !

I forgot about the show on Sunday . I would have liked to have remembered .

JohnS
03-05-2002, 06:18 PM
Yeah the Stripers ate them all! What Chris said.

JohnS