View Full Version : Brown + Double Talk =

likwid
09-28-2005, 08:30 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050927/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/katrina_brown_hk4_13;_ylt=AtoSxvAlCb9TiD_1cLCaPg8b LisB;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

WASHINGTON - Former FEMA director Michael Brown blamed others for most government failures in responding to Hurricane Katrina on Tuesday, especially Louisiana Gov. Kathleen Blanco and New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin. He aggressively defended his own role.
ADVERTISEMENT

Brown also said that in the days before the storm, he expressed his concerns that "this is going to be a bad one" in phone conversations and e-mails with
President Bush, White House chief of staff Andy Card and deputy chief of staff Joe Hagin.

And he blamed the Department of
Homeland Security — the parent agency for the
Federal Emergency Management Agency — for not acquiring better equipment ahead of the storm.

His efforts to shift blame drew sharp criticism from Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike.

I'm happy you left," said Rep. Christopher Shays (news, bio, voting record), R-Conn. "That kind of look in the lights like a deer tells me you weren't capable of doing that job."

Rep. Gene Taylor (news, bio, voting record), D-Miss., told Brown: "The disconnect was, people thought there was some federal expertise out there. There wasn't. Not from you."

Brown appeared before a special congressional panel set up by House Republican leaders to investigate the catastrophe.

"My biggest mistake was not recognizing by Saturday that Louisiana was dysfunctional," two days before the storm hit, Brown said.

Brown, who for many became a symbol of government failures in the natural disaster that claimed the lives of more than 1,000 people, rejected criticism that he was inexperienced.

"I've overseen over 150 presidentially declared disasters. I know what I'm doing, and I think I do a pretty darn good job of it," he said.

Brown resigned earlier this month after being removed by Homeland Security Secretary
Michael Chertoff from on-site responsibility. He will remain on the FEMA payroll for two more weeks, advising the agency, said Russ Knocke, spokesman for the Department of Homeland Security.

"He speaks for himself and he's entitled to his point of view and I don't have anything to add," Chertoff told reporters in Miami. Bush and Blanco both ignored a reporter's shouted question about Brown's assertions as they inspected damage from Hurricane Rita in Lake Charles, La.

Brown joined FEMA in 2001 and ran it for more than two years. He was previously an attorney who held several local government and private posts, including leading the International Arabian Horse Association.

Rep. William Jefferson (news, bio, voting record), D-La. told Brown: "I find it absolutely stunning that this hearing would start out with you, Mr. Brown, laying the blame for FEMA's failings at the feet of the governor of Louisiana and the Mayor of New Orleans."

In a testy exchange, Shays compared Brown's performance unfavorably with that of former New York
Mayor Rudolph Giuliani after the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks.

"So I guess you want me to be the superhero, to step in there and take everyone out of New Orleans," Brown said.

"What I wanted you to do is do your job and coordinate," Shays retorted.

"I'm happy to be called not a Rudy Giuliani ... a scapegoat ... if it means that FEMA ... is going to be able to be reborn," Brown said.

Criticized by Shays for failing to get better equipment to make communication easier among emergency agencies, Brown blamed those above him.

"We put that money in our budget request and it was removed by the Department of Homeland Security" he said.

Brown said he was "just tired and misspoke" when a television interviewer appeared to be the first to tell him there were desperate residents at the New Orleans Convention Center.

Brown said he learned a day earlier that people were flocking there.

He blamed "a hysteric media" for what he said were unfounded reports of rapes and murders. He characterized blunt-spoken Army Lt. Gen. Russel Honore, the military coordinator for the disaster, as "a bull in the China closet, God love him."

And he said Americans themselves must play a more active role in preparing for natural disasters — and not expect more from the government than it can deliver.

Republican Rep. Kay Granger (news, bio, voting record) of Texas told Brown: "I don't know how you can sleep at night. You lost the battle."

Brown in his opening statement cited "specific mistakes" in dealing with the storm, and listed just two.

One, he said, was not having more media briefings.

As to the other, he said: "I very strongly personally regret that I was unable to persuade Gov. Blanco and Mayor Nagin to sit down, get over their differences, and work together. I just couldn't pull that off."

Both Blanco and Nagin are Democrats.

In Baton Rouge, La., Blanco's press secretary, Denise Bottcher, responded: "Mike Brown wasn't engaged then, and he surely isn't now. He should have been watching CNN instead of the Disney Channel," Bottcher said.

Despite the appearance by several Democratic Gulf Coast lawmakers, The hearing was generally boycotted by Democrats, who want an independent investigation conducted into government failures, not one run by congressional Republicans.

Committee Chairman Tom Davis, R-Va., cautioned against too narrowly assigning blame. "At the end of the day, I suspect that we'll find that government at all levels failed," Davis said.

He pushed Brown on what he and his agency should have done to evacuate New Orleans, restore order and improve communication.

"Those are not FEMA roles," Brown said. "FEMA doesn't evacuate communities. FEMA does not do law enforcement. FEMA does not do communications."

Brown said the lack of an effective evacuation of New Orleans before the storm was "the tipping point for all the other things that went wrong."

A "mandatory" evacuation was ordered Sunday by Nagin, the mayor. However, buses were not provided and thousands of residents were stranded without transportation in low-lying areas

Remember conservatives, you voted these people in, not me. FWW, how's the "scuppers" in the other *place* lately? hee hee

stripersnipr
09-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Nagin and Blanco fine examples of Democratic leadership in action.

likwid
09-28-2005, 09:16 AM
What about Shays' Rep leadership?

Oh, its ok to ignore that.

stripersnipr
09-28-2005, 09:29 AM
There is clearly blame on both sides of the political arena. To strictly focus your rant on republicans is a clear indicator that your purpose is not to to truly examine what went wrong but to take advantage of a tragedy to promote personal political agenda. Americans are sick of it.

RIJIMMY
09-28-2005, 10:04 AM
The whole thing was/is a miss. I dont think its fair to make Brown the scapegoat. this does raise issues over the fed vs. state responsibility and accountability. Constitutional issues.

ChrisH
09-28-2005, 11:49 AM
Bill of Rights,

X - Rights of the States under Constitution

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

Skip N
09-28-2005, 12:03 PM
Dems cannot be blamed for anything remember. Everything bad was caused by republicans and especillay Bush. At least thats what the media tells me. Dont you people find it odd that no one in the media blames anything on Mayor Nagin? Oh wait hes a Black Dem so we cant blame him for anything :hs: I accually turned on air America radio coming home last night and holy crap that guy on at night is a WACKO. He says bush is poisning his kids water so the kids will die and bush has a secret plan to send all 20 year olds to iraq to die. And you people wonder why the dems are not in power? The dem base is a bunch of WACKOS!! :bshake:

Nebe
09-28-2005, 12:06 PM
Everything bad was caused by republicans and especillay Bush.
glad we are on the same page :D

Skip N
09-28-2005, 12:40 PM
:whackin:

likwid
09-28-2005, 01:10 PM
Nah, lets not blame the dude who has ZERO experience in anything and got fired from his last job.

stripersnipr
09-28-2005, 01:17 PM
No experience? How about being in charge of 150 declared emergencies? I think that would be considered experienced even using Liberal math.

likwid
09-28-2005, 01:33 PM
I keep hearing about these "150 emergencies" yet noone has a link or knowledge of what they are?

stripersnipr
09-28-2005, 01:54 PM
I keep hearing about these "150 emergencies" yet noone has a link or knowledge of what they are?

Make it 164

http://www.fema.gov/news/disasters.fema?year=2004

Nebe
09-28-2005, 03:27 PM
No experience? How about being in charge of 150 declared emergencies? I think that would be considered experienced even using Liberal math.

huh.. the only emergency i can think of is the one where he got fired from the horse show.....

stripersnipr
09-28-2005, 03:30 PM
huh.. the only emergency i can think of is the one where he got fired from the horse show.....

Again

http://www.fema.gov/news/disasters.fema?year=2004

Swimmer
09-28-2005, 06:26 PM
Everyone is at fault. The responsibility for the disaster first lies with Nagin. He is the mayor of a city he is to weak to lead. Blanco ask for 24 four more hours to get things going before she ask Bush for troops. Hopw many people did Nagin say were raped and murdered in the superdome, how many ?????????? No murder or rape victims have yet to be found.

By the very seriousness predicted by the forcasters FEMA and the troops should been have and were alerted. But its one thing to alert FEMA and the troops and its another thing getting them in place. Thats where Brown failed. Most of the time LIKWID your posts ahve more basis in fact. This time its all the republicans fault does't cut it. Brown oversaw every huricane in Florida since 2001 and did a bang up job. Its always easy to sit back and Monday morning quarterback. Its another thing entirely to participate in and emergency and realize having control is fleeting at best. People die in horrific natural disasters like we have witnessed recently sometimes many people. Mr. Nagin should have got democratic machine to drive all those parked shcool buses around the poor neighborhoods and picked up all the people who had no transportation, but those crooked democratic politicos gathered up thier money and screwed leaving the mayor behind.

No one saw Ted Kennedy down there, all those cars under water must have been to much to bear, oops, thats right he a dem, so that means his failure to be a kind and caring person is morally justified by all his fellow liberals. Tomorrow I'll be dring over the chappy bridge going out to Wasque and I'll remember this post and all the replies.

Nebe
09-28-2005, 06:57 PM
good post swimmer.

While i always bash bush when i can, most of the time i am simply being silly.. I do think he is doing a not-so-good job,but on the flip side, i dont think kerry would have done a very good job either..

Everyone was to blame. Why didnt the mayor use all those school busses????? why didnt the govenor ask for help??? and why didnt the president cut his vacation short and not say a word about helping for 3 days????

likwid
09-29-2005, 07:51 AM
No one saw Ted Kennedy down there

Ted Kennedy dosen't run an Emergency Management Agency.
Where was Bush? Oh yes, on vacation and ignoring what was going on. :bl:

Yep, I agree that the mayor of NOLA and the gov. of LA both screwed up.
But NOAA Hurricane forcasters were calling for pretty much the end of the world down there, warned the state gov, warned the federal government, and they sat on their hands.

The "buddy buddy" system of people getting jobs in the gov dosen't fly.
Infact, it leads to people having the hammer dropped on them when all hell breaks loose.

RIJIMMY
09-29-2005, 08:04 AM
good post swimmer.

While i always bash bush when i can, most of the time i am simply being silly.. I do think he is doing a not-so-good job,but on the flip side, i dont think kerry would have done a very good job either..

Everyone was to blame. Why didnt the mayor use all those school busses????? why didnt the govenor ask for help??? and why didnt the president cut his vacation short and not say a word about helping for 3 days????

All those antibiotics must have opened your eyes :jump:

Nebe
09-29-2005, 08:27 AM
I still think Bush is a clown. :vamp:

NaCl H2O
09-29-2005, 09:07 AM
LMAO... pissa avatar! :hihi:

RIJIMMY
09-29-2005, 09:39 AM

I agree, sad to say.

Nebe
09-29-2005, 11:37 AM
Delay :lasso:

that is all :hihi:

NaCl H2O
09-29-2005, 02:11 PM
Delay :lasso:

that is all :hihi:
This nothing more than part of the vast left wing conspiracy :laugha:

jkswimmer
10-01-2005, 07:44 PM
If Bush were a clown, he would at least have a skill.