View Full Version : Equiptment recomendations?

dickmont
09-28-2005, 05:30 PM
If you were starting from scratch knowing what you know now, didn't have a gazillion $ to spend, but knew that a good tool rarely has to be repurchaced once bought; what would you put out there in that empty shop to turn out the high quality plugs that you guys so consistantly turn out?

spence
09-28-2005, 05:47 PM
J. Habs :rotf3:

-spence

gone fishin
09-28-2005, 06:00 PM
Jet mini lathe -- also the bed extension if you feel flush. Allows you to through drill a BIG needle easily.

Decent turning tools - don't skimp here.

grinding station. also a good grade wheel. - probably a grinding jig to help hold the tool for a good edge every time.

Drill press fit your budget with this one.

Good set of drills - nail point and maybe forstner bits.

band saw. again fit your budget.

sanding tool - combo belt and disk is OK.

Dust removal system.

Air rush and compressor.

Paint station exhaust system ( if you want to live long)

Initial investment -- about 900 bucks

Now go out and buy all the plugs you need for about 20 years and you will still be ahead of the curve.

Good luck and join the club! Catching on your own wood --- Priceless !! :bshake: :rotf3: :as: :nopain:

afterhours
09-28-2005, 07:15 PM
#^&#^&#^&#^& , a freind of mine has a like brand new jet mini used twice, betcha it can be had for $150, don.

afterhours
09-28-2005, 07:22 PM
make that NEVER USED.

EricW
09-28-2005, 09:00 PM
If you aren't in a real hurry you can do what I did to build a wood workshop,
watch yardsales and stuff people are throwing away.

In about 2 years I have accumulated:
2 rockwell power mitre saws 10$ ea (i could have had a dremel power jigsaw for 5 more...)
2 table saws Free one in trash one from father in law.
1 jigsaw $15
drill $3.00
Drill press 15.00
1 1950's planer works good 10.00
1 7" circular saw 5.00
1950's Dunlap lathe (on long term free loan from father in law). Makes nice lures.

I think I have more but you get the point. I have a nice collection of antique woodworking tools started. I also have found rototillers, snowthrowers, countless lawnmowers, tractor and snowthrower attachement, all free. I really don't spend a lot of time looking. Stuff seems to just come my way like I am a magnet. Part of the reason you can't walk through my 36x40 garage.......I have spent a lot of time lately using all of this stuff to make shelves in the garage so I have room to better set up my tools and stuff and make room for more stuff.

Jigman
09-28-2005, 09:06 PM
Lathe: Jet Mini or Grizzly 8690.
Robert Sorby tools: 3/4 inch gouge and 1 inch skew
Drill press, 12 inch
belt sander
bandsaw
table saw

Jigman

dickmont
09-29-2005, 08:27 PM
i have been reading this forum for a while now and have been impressed with how open all of you are with sharing the craft. i know of nothing in terms of plug craft being done anywhere in the country that compares with what you guys are doing here in new england. there is a great history and a great thread that all of you are part of. thanks for the advice on getting started. it looks like i've got my winter work ahead of me

striperondafly
09-29-2005, 08:49 PM
these guys are so good it warrants a trip up for the next gathering.