View Full Version : UNBURNED SPOTS!!!

piemma
09-29-2005, 07:54 AM
An interesting sidebar to this spot burning issue. As most of you know my partner RIRockhound and I fish 6 and sometimes 7 nights a week.
We are now seeing new people (AKA Nitwits) at spots in RI that were NOT burned.
Have we been invaded? Have these jerks been skunked at the "burned" spots and are now spreading out? Kind of like a disease? Will they infect all of SoCo?

I had the pleasure of an encounter with one of these Mensa grads 2 nights ago. This clown waded through a trought of water, climbed some rocks and stood 3 friggin' feet from me. He then ask me "How's it going?" I extended a hearty RI surfcaster welcome and told him to get off my $%#@ ROCK!!!!
He departed for greener pastures.

Let us hope that this is not an omen of the future. :hang:

lurch
09-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Ill be honest, I am very dissapointed in the response to the guys question.

I am glad you did not say that to me cause I would have tossed you a$$ in the ocean and replied...your rock??

I hate to be a ball buster but did you ever think that the person found the spot by "putting his time in"? How do you know that he did not learn the spot from one of his super hero fishing friends? I presume that it must be a good spot because you and your partner fish there 6 or 7 days a week.

If it was me I would have had a friendly response and explained to the guy the appropiate way to fish "your rock".

There have been many time that I have fished with folks with the reels upside down and explained to them how fishing that way decreases the power of the rod and with a week of practice you will be fishing the right way. Also the I have shown the same people how to fish the area proving that there are fish in this (notice how I did not say my spot) spot.

I was at a B&T this weekend and I asked a guy how he was doing and if he has been catching them (not looking for specific spots). He looked at me and did not even reply with an answer he just got in his car and drove away. I was so tempted to jump in my car and follow him just to pi$$ him off, and when we got there break out my son's bat man rod and start fishing.

So much for freindly conversation...

:hs: :hs: :hs: :hs: :hs:

vman
09-29-2005, 09:06 AM
Great response , Lurch! I have often asked" how's the fishing?" Just trying to be friendly.Very often get the cold shoulder

RIROCKHOUND
09-29-2005, 09:09 AM
Lurch;
I wasnt there that night, but.. it's a BIG spot, and for someone to take the effort to wade out there, stand 3ft away and then admit they had never been there (and thats why the went and stood 3ft away) is pretty class-less or clueless.. I'll let paul tell the details of the story, but it didnt go down quite like that, and i suspect/know that there was then some reason and wisodom imparted as to why that reaction was garnered, and maybe the guy left with a bit more ettiqute then when he got there...

I dont care who you are, just before dawn, you've been on the beach/rock since 3 and someone climbs 3ft away from you (especially at a big spot) you'd get pissed, and if you'd welcome them with open arms you are a better man than I

As far as 'making conversation', personally, I dont go out of my way to make chit-chat with other people when I'm on a spot, but if you asked me that question in the parking lot or bait shop or office etc.. I'd give you an answer; I might not give details, but I'm not an A-hole, hell even walking off a spot I'll tell you if I got the skunk or not.. but if I'm dragging a fish out dont ask 'how was fishin'... I steered some kids (18ish) at Benny's towards some productive plugs last night, in the right context I have NO problem being helpful, but I STILL think there needs to be some ettiqute out there.. we live in an F'ed up world, and in the dark who knows who is getting that close to you...

Bill L
09-29-2005, 09:13 AM
Lurch, I think you must have missed the "stood 3 friggin' feet from me" part of it. It is poor surfcasting etiquette to crowd somebody like that, and while he is standing on it, it is "his" rock. As far as getting the cold shoudler, that is generally the way it is, you should get thicker skin. Some people are grumpy and some are not. You cant expect everybody to answer the same way. The best you can expect is a grunt and a nod. If you get more, you're lucky.

spence
09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
You cant expect everybody to answer the same way. The best you can expect is a grunt and a nod. If you get more, you're lucky.
Recently PIEMMA has been very grumpy. I don't even fish with him anymore because he's gotten so twitchy with the gaff hand.

-spence

RIROCKHOUND
09-29-2005, 09:16 AM
Forgot to add..
I grew up in a family that fished commercial rod and reel on the side and ran a charter/headboat for a long time (till I was a teenager).. same thing applies on the water, if someone is anchored up and someone else comes and drops the hook and ends up 30ft from you (in 100ft of water) not only is it unsafe, but it is rude as hell, and the true old school guys would launch sinkers at you till you left...Also forgot to add: Spence is a jackass ;)

RIJIMMY
09-29-2005, 09:27 AM
One thing I think all of us need to be aware of.
Surfcasting is gaining popularity. Just look at this site, high end plugs, high end B&Ts.
This means more people, more often. We all can choose how we want to respond to each encounter.
Just this Sunday, I fished most of the night, I was tired and grumpy and ended up at a spot where I knew there have been some small fish. Figured I'd catch some schoolies before goign to bed. This was 5am, the lot was FULL. More cars than I ever seen. I was going to leave, but I waded out and found a spot. I had to watch every cast to make sure I did not cross lines. The guy to the right of me gets a fish and suddenly I see another guy, who just got there, literally running in waders and 3 feet of water, right in front of me, and casts in my zone, I had no place at all to cast. He was practically shaking with excitiement. I was pissed and cast right at him, he just moved the line over his head with his hand and kept casting. I moved, not worth it and left shortly after.
Its a fact that more guys are out there, and the internet is adding to this.

cheferson
09-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Its october all the sh-itheads are out in force. Quit trying to blame everything on mckennas article.

spence
09-29-2005, 09:31 AM
One thing I think all of us need to be aware of.
The guy to the right of me gets a fish and suddenly I see another guy, who just got there, literally running in waders and 3 feet of water, right in front of me, and casts in my zone, I had no place at all to cast. He was practically shaking with excitiement. I was pissed and cast right at him, he just moved the line over his head with his hand and kept casting. I moved, not worth it and left shortly after.
This is exactly the kind of nitwit behavior PIEMMA is grumping about.

Just because you're in a place where people don't usually tread doesn't mean the rules of common courtesy don't apply. While it's not worth picking a fight over, it certianly is worth letting them know their behavior isn't acceptable.

-spence

JHABS
09-29-2005, 09:32 AM
I like Out of Site Out of MIND...................

piemma
09-29-2005, 09:34 AM
I will go into the details Since you really want to know.

1) This guy and his buddy were not your standard surfcasters.

2) The spot I was fishing is, as Bryan said, BIG. There's 2 miles of rocky shoreline.

3) Every year somebody dies at this spot because they don't have a clue as to what they are doing. It's a dangerous spot.

Now the details:

These guys had no Korkers or wader tops on.

There was a 4 to 6 foot sea running and it's pitch black 3:00 AM.

The rock I was standing on can hold 2 guys if you are very friendly, have fished togher often and know the water. Otherwise you will be crossing lines.

The guy had a bucktail on and this is a ROCKY spot. He would have been hooked on the bottom on the first cast which would mean, I would have to stop fishing and finally...

I was into fish and these guys knew it. As a result they were gonna jump in my boots.

Sorry Lurch, if you think I was wrong then you don't understand anything about what we do. Everyone who knows me, knows I have done this for a long time and am the first to help a rookie learn the ropes but no strangers are spot jumping me.

choggieman
09-29-2005, 09:35 AM
I said it the other day, the spill over is happening. New faces in places they do not belong, and lotsa new faces at that. The etiquette, or lack thereof is a dead give away. Last week, standing on a rock, two morons in wetsuits wade out and stand on the rock I am casting around. Best of all, the headlamps were on constantly and always in the water.
The article was bad, but it is not the only spot burning source. That website in ct tells of all exploits in all of soco with very graphic detail. So, is it spill over or is it due to direct burning of spots from another source?

RIROCKHOUND
Chef;
this was unrelated to Steve's article, this was at another spot...
October is a mess that is true but this is getting out of hand...

l.i.fish.in.vt
face the facts, striped bass fishing is a very popular these days.this past Sunday my local paper here in VT, the Burlington free press. had a full page article on striped bass fishing in Plymouth mass.we are a coulpe hundred miles from the water.no matter were you go or look there is something on striped bass.when i first started fishing in the 60's with my father you never even thought of bass till Columbus day at least from the boat. i would say expect it to get worse befor it gets better.something to think about too as long as with all the info on these bass boards it doesn't take a genuis to figure out were to fish even if no spots are named. we are our own worst enemy.

RIJIMMY
09-29-2005, 09:36 AM
I agree with pieema spence, just think its only goning to get worse.

Funny though, I saw a picture of you once on the site and when this guy ran in front of me Sunday, I thought he looked like you.... :hee:

spence
09-29-2005, 09:40 AM
Funny though, I saw a picture of you once on the site and when this guy ran in front of me Sunday, I thought he looked like you.... :hee:
When was my pic ever on the board? :eek5:

Perhaps the person was unusually strong and handsome so you just assumed it was me.

-spence

RIJIMMY
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
You mean your avatar is not you?

lurch
09-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I read the 3 feet part but it was the response that got me. Maybe I am different maybe it is because I saw about 20 fisherman this weekend and spoke to them all without any problems (except the one jackass from CT).

I was talking to my buddy saying that "you can always talk to a fellow fisherman if he has a fishing rod in his hand" because of the responses I got this weekend. I now know that when I get a negative response Ill kick the crap out of them and take their equipment ;)

piemma
09-29-2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with pieema spence, just think its only goning to get worse.

RIJIMMY:
It was Spence. He is always in the way.

spence
09-29-2005, 09:56 AM
That's only because you're always following me :exp:

-spence

Arno
09-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Its october all the sh-itheads are out in force. Quit trying to blame everything on mckennas article.

Ahh, how refreshing. A voice of reason.

Overall, I'd be more PO'd at the people, especially certain ethnic types (trying to be politically correct, here) who hook schoolies and take them home for the dinner pot - not giving a damn if they're undersize or not.

Along with others here for sure, I make no bones about telling them to throw them back. Maybe they don't know or maybe they don't care, but they need to be told.

And as far as people crowding you, it's happened to a lot of us - and I don't like it either. To use (maybe a poor) analogy, if my wife and I were sitting a restaurant, I wouldn't expect anyone to come and sit their mangy asses at our table. It just isn't done. Same type of etiquette should apply to fishing. And to repeat... some people just need to be told.

piemma
09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
AMEN!!! My point exactly...

To use (maybe a poor) analogy, if my wife and I were sitting a restaurant, I wouldn't expect anyone to come and sit their mangy asses at our table. It just isn't done. Same type of etiquette should apply to fishing. And to repeat... some people just need to be told.[/QUOTE]

kippy
09-29-2005, 10:01 AM
It's going to be a tough weekend..have to find some unburned spots to fish! :faga:

whiplash
09-29-2005, 10:16 AM
Just makes you want to fish RI . It seems that some RI folks are finding out what its like to be found. With all the hype coming out of several RI sources about how great the fishing is in RI people are heading down and up to check it out and not all of them are googans. Some might even be able to read maps,charts and areal photos, do their homework and find the secret spots. Now granted 3 ft is a bit close but that cured by swinging sidearm . It works on the canal and other secret locations . I guess that OTW article really stired the $hitpot. Relax guys now you know what its like to live on the Cape.

Bill L
09-29-2005, 10:24 AM
I now know that when I get a negative response Ill kick the crap out of them and take their equipment
:rollem:

Nebe
09-29-2005, 11:32 AM
Piemma.. shush... just shush. stop it.

negative, positive, just stop it.

have you noticed none of the cape guys are mentioning anything about catching?????

they learned this last year... silence is key. In your rant you stil mentioned you were into fish... not good. Shush.

Fish, ignore the crowds, walk a little bit more, and most importantly, keep to yourself.

ive struggled with keeping somethings to myself lately and you know what, its easy once you get used to it.... ohhhh if only i could tell :hihi:

now shush up buttercup...... these are trying times. :D

chris L
09-29-2005, 11:36 AM
I farted and just burned a spot ................................. in my shorts

In The Surf
09-29-2005, 12:34 PM
I agree with Eben mmm I mean Nebe. Some guys need to learn they are a victim of themselves. The less said at least over the net the better.

fishaholic18
09-29-2005, 12:56 PM

have you noticed none of the cape guys are mentioning anything about catching?????

they learned this last year... silence is key. In your rant you stil mentioned you were into fish... not good. Shush.

Fish, ignore the crowds, walk a little bit more, and most importantly, keep to yourself.

ive struggled with keeping somethings to myself lately and you know what, its easy once you get used to it.... ohhhh if only i could tell :hihi:

Good advice. Although it's hard.
I learned my lesson

whiplash
09-29-2005, 01:22 PM
You don't hear anything from the Cape guys because we're all in RI looking for SPOTS.

Mike P
09-29-2005, 01:33 PM
Great response , Lurch! I have often asked" how's the fishing?" Just trying to be friendly.Very often get the cold shoulder

Don't take this personally, but I can think of better ways of being friendly than walking up to a guy fishing in the dead of night (who can't hear you coming over the sound of the waves), coming up behind him and asking "How's the fishing?".

When it happens to me, once my heart returns to its proper place from my throat and I pull my sticky drawers away from my crack, you get a "Geez, man, don't do that again!!" Some other guys probably won't be as nice :humpty:

Sea Dangles
09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
Good advice is right. How ironic that this person who bragged about the fall run and then :crying: about all the people at a spot I like to fish would start his belly aching again.Why not ring a bell. SPOTS, for crying out loud when he WROTE B.P. in his little rant before, the moderators never even removed it.Now THAT is a burn if I ever saw it. Why not just let it blow over? We're not talking about a kid here either, just someone who acts like one.I for one agree with Lurch, talk like that to the wrong guy and you might get what you deserve.A fisherman out at 3a.m. may or may not be new but sure sounds committed so respect that man and explain with a cool head the courtesies he has not yet learned. It just might go a long way.Time to teach this old dog a new trick!

lurch
09-29-2005, 01:40 PM
Sorry about that I NEVER sneak up behind anyone but when I see folks in the parking lot or walking by with rods while I am driving ill stop and ask how things are going...I know better than that...you could get shot by a psycho mainiac! :behead: :gorez:

Well you cant miss me walking up behind you...I create a HUGE shadow :spidey: :shocked: :shocked: :shocked:

BOO!!

JHABS
09-29-2005, 01:42 PM
:faga:

Rockport24
09-29-2005, 03:13 PM
that story is a perfect display of googandry and I do not blame you for reacting the way you did. I used to fish the PI riverfront in the spring, but couldn't take the googans not knowing how to cast into the current and ending up casting right over my line. Had to move on. Wasn't like we were killing them there anyway.

The summer I have been putting in a lot of times on the rocks, if somebody got that close to me in the rocks I would be a little pissed too.

eelman
09-29-2005, 03:27 PM

Ohh if only I could tell also :happy:

Paul, you can come with me anytime you want to my spots, no one will bug you !!

basswipe
09-29-2005, 03:33 PM
I have one spot where I've never seen anyone else.Thank god for that.It produces large numbers especially in spring but not much in the way of large fish but that doesn't matter its a place I can be alone and not bothered by the outside world.

Slipknot
09-29-2005, 03:56 PM
Deal with it

off to the grumpy forum for this one

Nebe
09-29-2005, 04:26 PM
Excuse me but why was my post deleted??????

* oh wait.... sorry my dialup line is verrrrrrry slow. it wasnt deleted :D

fishaholic18
09-29-2005, 04:38 PM
Excuse me but why was my post deleted??????

* oh wait.... sorry my dialup line is verrrrrrry slow. it wasnt deleted :D
Now you sound like your avitar looks. :rotf3:
Wish I did. :gu:

JoeP
09-29-2005, 07:28 PM
:af: :af:

Give me a break -- Paul is 1000% right. Standing in someone's boots when there is plenty of room around is just plain wrong. That is why I hate fishing in a crowd. There is always some idiot who pays no regard to etiquette, space, courtesy, etc., etc.... I've had many of those occasions when I'm into fish and some idiot comes within 5-10 feet of me, OBLIVIOUS to what is happening, and basically casts over my line. And not all of these guys were newbies...

Sorry, being shadowed by another fisherman is my biggest petpeeve. It drives me nuts.

All of you criticizing Paul for being pissed are hypocrites. You know as well as I do that if that happened to you in the dead of the night when you were into fish you would be upset too.

And Seadangles, who the heck are you and just what is your problem. All you do is make idiotic and juvenile comments on these boards. If you don't like a thread stay away. You contribute 0%.

:af: :af:

spence
09-29-2005, 07:43 PM
:hee: :ss:

topwatertom
09-29-2005, 07:57 PM
I'm glad my dad has a boat and loves to teach me how to fish because you guys think your the only one's entitled to. I'm glad I dont live in Rhode Island! :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

JohnR
09-29-2005, 08:44 PM
I'm glad my dad has a boat and loves to teach me how to fish because you guys think your the only one's entitled to. I'm glad I dont live in Rhode Island! :uhuh: :uhuh: :uhuh:

Tom - welcome to S-B... If it were as simple as that, yeh, i would be upset too. Surfacsting is many things, to be enjoyed with your peers and freinds but also to be enjoyed in solitude, espscially if you make a long walk at Oh-Dark-Thirty. This isn't a case of standing shoulder to shoulder at the Herring Run in May, or the pictures I see of a Jersey Jetty or under Montauk light - where you get to know who is standing next to you whether you like it or not. This is a case of being hunted out in the mid of night. This is a lack of courtesy.

Your dad takes you out to teach you how to fish, and that's great. I bet if you ran into almost anyone on this site and most other avenues be it the local shop, or most guys you run into on a beach, you would get anything from a pointer or a tip to maybe having someone give you some valuable information, especially if you show courtesy, a little respect for the elders (in Piema's case, the UberElders :hihi: ), and some respect for your surroundings. If someone shows up in the dead of night with sneakers and a 12 pack and camps three feet from me, I would say something too. I wouldn't want someone to break their tailbone or worse, or for that matter, make me break mine because I had to go in after them. Trust me, you don't want me to be the fine line between life and death out on some rock in a heave :eek5: , odds are not good for either of us.

As far as being entitled? Nahhh. There is room for everyone. That's the thing. Sure, not every place is available for everyone. Some access is locked up solid and the only way is to tresspass. Other places tolerate some but would falter under any real pressure. Some places can handle a crowd and some can handle the beer swilling, the trash littering, and the like. But spread it out.

The surf game is significantly diffrent than the boat game and it does an injustice to both to compare them.

Lurch - I agree with you a fair bit. But just because you show ettiquette doesn't mean everyone will. Unfortunately surfasting doesn't have Bowling Rules where etiquette lets the guy on the right go first. Just always in flux. Good or bad. Yes, we need to do our part to make it better. But if someone at 3 in the morning chose to stand on the rock I was on instead of the other 40 casting rocks across a couple hundred yards of beach, I would say something too. Wouldn't screem at him like the senior diplomat, but I would try to get my point across anyway.

Dangles - do you really need to take shots at people at every turn? First its this guy, then someone else, then the moderators aren't moderating, then we're moderating too much, or just moderating the wrong stuff. Will anything make you happy? Or not crtitical at every juncture?

Pete_G
09-29-2005, 09:02 PM
After watching a lot of these threads over the past few months I'm glad most of "my" spots take way too long to walk to, aren't public access, are too far a swim, or are just too scary for those who haven't fished them. That and they love to give up a skunk to people who haven't figured them out yet.

And anyone who sneaks up behind me at night would be politely but firmly informed about his "sneaking".

I also completely agree on the boat end of things. No respect there either. What's most amazing in those situations is that they don't even have a clue that they are way too close. My biggest blowout on someone this year occured when someone came off plane right on top of me moments after I hooked a SBFT in a school that popped up around my boat. The fish immediately screamed off under his boat. I let that guy have it with both barrels... :rocketem: :liquify:

whiplash
09-29-2005, 09:54 PM
Ya know guys its time to take a chill pill. I can safely say that in the past 10,000 years that you are standing in somebodies footprints/bootprints and that somebody will stand in yours in the near future-GET OVER IT!!!
And they call us M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$s!!! Screw RI I'm heading to Montauk.

whiplash
09-29-2005, 09:56 PM
I'm sorry I didn't realize M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ was a swear outside of Mass. :huh:

JohnR
09-29-2005, 10:06 PM
I'm sorry I didn't realize M%$%$%$%$%$%$%$ was a swear outside of Mass. :huh:

Hehehehe - no, the board is editing out a$$hole :) . I am a ma$$hole to though now I live in RI...

whiplash
09-29-2005, 10:24 PM
I like your saying about plugs and eels , I've been catching a $hit load of fish on e(%$ at S)&*%$# C%&&^ . Dont worry it's in Mass.

whiplash
09-29-2005, 11:27 PM
John,
Only folks from Cape Ann get ascared ! You from Glosta? You a gombadi?

ThrowingTimber
10-01-2005, 07:15 AM
piemma yer gettin soft. next time just friggin deck em :buds:

JohnR
10-01-2005, 12:07 PM
John,
Only folks from Cape Ann get ascared ! You from Glosta? You a gombadi?

Nahhhh, from Dedham, more or less. And that would be phonetically "askayahd" from Cape Anne if I remember right :hihi:

jbuck
10-02-2005, 07:48 AM
It's a funny thing about ettiguette. I know it's a pain in tha a$$ out there.
This guy that you encountered had no clue, Most likly hes was not lucky enough to have somebody show him the ropes.I not saying it is anybodys responsiblty to educate all the yahoo's. A simple give me a little room here
and we will be fine may have been gone a long way.

With more and more people fishing it's not going to get less crowded on any spot.

Just think of it this way if you fall in the guy you just yelled at may have to pull you out out of the wash.

bassmaster
10-02-2005, 08:23 AM
mass guys going to ri = dont know how to fish Ma :claps:

"uffah!!"
10-02-2005, 09:26 AM
An interesting sidebar to this spot burning issue. As most of you know my partner RIRockhound and I fish 6 and sometimes 7 nights a week.
We are now seeing new people (AKA Nitwits) at spots in RI that were NOT burned.
Have we been invaded? Have these jerks been skunked at the "burned" spots and are now spreading out? Kind of like a disease? Will they infect all of SoCo?

I had the pleasure of an encounter with one of these Mensa grads 2 nights ago. This clown waded through a trought of water, climbed some rocks and stood 3 friggin' feet from me. He then ask me "How's it going?" I extended a hearty RI surfcaster welcome and told him to get off my $%#@ ROCK!!!!
He departed for greener pastures.

Let us hope that this is not an omen of the future. :hang:

''It's all Nebe's Fault"

fishaholic18
03-11-2009, 01:18 PM
I'm in

JohnnyD
03-11-2009, 02:29 PM
I hate you

Swede
03-11-2009, 03:12 PM
:spin:Reminds Me of fishing Great point for a week several years ago. A bait fisherman at the time We set up camp and chummed and fished every day. Caught some real nice sandbars, bass and blues. EVERYTIME we would hook up these nitwits from hell would suddenly show up and start casting all around us, complaining our lines were in they;re way. Aggravating as hell, but being on nantucket I took the high road and said maybe you should find your own fish and not bother us. I have hated VS'S ever since :gorez:

RIJIMMY
03-12-2009, 01:48 PM
2005, I remember this thread like it was yesterday

Adam_777
03-12-2009, 04:51 PM
Good points in this old thread.Good read.Spot burning is still a real problem and rock crowding is still uncalled for in just about any situation at 3am.Unless she is cold and underdressed with a sleeping bag.We all know that isn't ever gonna happen!:kewl::splat::rotflmao::wid: