View Full Version : The perfect headlamp

spence
09-29-2005, 09:44 AM
I need a new light...here are the requirements:

1. Must have white and red light
2. Single strap so it can go on head or neck
3. Decent size push button switch (to operate with gloves)
4. Can't have a separate battery pack
5. Available somewhere besides Wal-Mart

Does it exist?

-spence

cheferson
09-29-2005, 09:58 AM
Ray-o-vac at wallyworld is the way to go. $12 , red, white led, and a krypton spot light. Ive had mine for 2 years and just recently had to replace the krypton bulb 2.50 for 2. Doesnt have a button to turn on but is very easy. There water proof too or at least very resistant.

Steve K
09-29-2005, 10:22 AM
I have the Ray O Vac and numerous Princeton Tec lights. I use the Ray O Vac the most but it does not have a neck option. I also find that twisting the knob difficult at times without gloves nevermind with them. My princeton tecs are more comfortable too but they cannot be switched from red to white light. I find myself only using the red light.

lurch
09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
http://www.rei.com/online/store/Search?topStyles=720242%2C703011%2C694705%2C721995 %2C703012%2C703600&noalias=1&originalTextQuery=headlamp&stat=7889&topStylesTitle=best+sellers+for+headlamps&langId=-1&query=headlamp&y=0&link=1&cat=4500058&x=0&storeId=8000&vcat=REI_SEARCH

reelecstasy
09-29-2005, 10:49 AM
Ray-o-vac at wallyworld is the way to go. $12 , red, white led, and a krypton spot light. Ive had mine for 2 years and just recently had to replace the krypton bulb 2.50 for 2. Doesnt have a button to turn on but is very easy. There water proof too or at least very resistant.
:hihi:

luds
09-29-2005, 11:11 AM
the petzl head lamps don't seem to last very long. I'd like to try this $12 RayoVac deal and don't exactly have a wally world around the corner. any idea where I can pick one up in quincy/weymouth area?

Mugz
09-29-2005, 11:52 AM
Eastern Mountain Sports at the mall has a good variety. That is where I bought mine.

spence
09-29-2005, 11:56 AM
EMS sells the Tikka lamps, they are decent but expensive. I currently have the cheaper model which I don't like. It's not bright enough with the red lens and the sliding switch isn't very durable.

I had the Tikka plus but it died when I left it in the rain.

They make a neat red/white model but it's 45 smackers and wouldn't be any more durable.

-spence

JoeP
09-29-2005, 11:59 AM
Spence-

Try the new Energizer neck/head light that has 2 white LED's (a little too bright however) and 1 red LED. It also has an easy switch. I got one at Home Depot for around $10. It also has a pivoting head.

I wear it around my neck.

Slingah
09-29-2005, 01:11 PM
I think the ray-o-vac is the satchel.....droppedit in the drink a few times and still work fine....

lurch
09-29-2005, 01:17 PM
here is a link to some flashlight reviews.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm

Mr. Sandman
09-29-2005, 01:17 PM
I have gone thru 2 princeton tec lamps this season. They are not waterproof or even water resistant. One was a $30 light. I would not purchase these. I have sent them back for a replacement. One night standing way out on on a bar with waves pounding me and it decided to go on by itself on high-beam and would not shut off. I could not pop off the battery back and had to walk back to the beach where I buried the sucker. It was about 3 or 4 weeks old.

I need a good WATERPROOF light that has a switch (no twisting) red and white led as well. The ray-o-vac seems a bit bulky.

lurch
09-29-2005, 01:35 PM
here is a link to some flashlight reviews.

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews_index/reviews_index_headlamps.htm

CANAL RAT
09-29-2005, 01:57 PM
got one from bananas army/navy surplus in wareham. it does not have a red light but it has a big side swich the can be turned easly with gloves

BasicPatrick
09-29-2005, 03:01 PM
I dropped the Ray-o Vac in the water at a spot in RI with rockhound a few weeks age...it was in for 10 minutes

two weeks later the light would not go on...rotted out on the inside...but that was after being in the water for 10 minutesin heavy seas...I am buying another tonight even though I have four other lights that could work

I think the ray-o-vac is the satchel.....droppedit in the drink a few times and still work fine....

RIROCKHOUND
09-29-2005, 03:05 PM
I'm a big fan of Pelican lights; I have two; one permenantly attached to the d-ring of my skinz, one around my neck (red) plus a headlight...

Yeah... thought pat was drowning, just his light :D :D
too bad it didnt attract fish.. that was a fishy looking night; alas it was august

spence
09-29-2005, 03:07 PM
I think I may have found a solution...

The Streamlight Trident bought from LLBean for $29. It's not cheap, but we have a Bean VISA so it's free overnight shipping, and like everything they sell has a lifetime warranty.

This light has multi-settings including a green night vision mode. Rubber gaskets on all parts. Big button and takes regular batteries. Since I always wear a cap, I figure I can cut the top strap off and wear over the bill or around the neck.

The best part is...almost all fishing attire goes with green and black :eek5: :bl: :devil:

-spence

bart
09-29-2005, 03:16 PM
go with ray-o-vac. cheap and efficient, and you can easily remove the middle strap so that it can be worn around the neck....

Iwannakeeper
09-29-2005, 03:24 PM
the petzl head lamps don't seem to last very long. I'd like to try this $12 RayoVac deal and don't exactly have a wally world around the corner. any idea where I can pick one up in quincy/weymouth area?

There is a wally world in Weymouth on 53 south of the intersection with RT18

Saltheart
09-29-2005, 04:43 PM
I had a Petzl for years. Best light I ever owned. I had the speelunker model. Cost some money but it lasted about 8 years until I lost it somewhere (hopefully just misplaced at home somewhere). I don't know what Petzl's are totally waterproof like mine and which models may be less durable.

I currently have a Ray-o-vac I borrowed but its not as good as my old one. I got the speelunker Petzl at EMS. The Rayovacs can be found at Lowes and Home depot sometimes.

fishaholic18
09-29-2005, 04:45 PM
The perfect headlamp is NO headlamp.
Like Habs said "Out of sight, Out of mind".

Redsoxticket
09-29-2005, 07:35 PM
spence, nice light with the 3 LEDs but there is only one green LED for nite vision.
The Ray-O-VAC also has three LEDs of which two are red for nite.
I prefer the double red LEDs because I use them for walking as well as close up work. I don't think the single LED will cut for those hazardous locations.
Check this out. flashlight reviews (http://flashlightreviews.com/)

dickmont
09-29-2005, 07:58 PM
check out rei. i bought this one, i know it's pricey, but i would rather it worked after being splashed-dunked. this one does.
http://www.rei.com/product/47877563.htm? :wiggle:

Pete_G
09-29-2005, 08:44 PM
check out rei. i bought this one, i know it's pricey, but i would rather it worked after being splashed-dunked. this one does.
http://www.rei.com/product/47877563.htm? :wiggle:

Best light I've seen yet, BY FAR. And I've done a lot of looking for the shop, which was of course simultaneously for myself. :) I really don't care about price when it comes to lights as long as I have red LEDs, some sort of spot/high power mode, and waterproofness. Might be a little bulky, but other then that it looks perfect.

There's some other lights offered by REI that almost fit the bill, but those only claim "weather resistance". I'm going to have to track down a Primus distributor...

hank8001
09-30-2005, 12:40 AM
Another vote for the Ray-o-Vac here. Nice product :kewl:

Striperhound
09-30-2005, 05:21 AM
Spence,

I had the LL Bean model until I lost it in my move. I loved that light although it did run through batteries pretty quick.

Backbeach Jake
09-30-2005, 05:54 AM
I like my Ray-o-vac'cus it's cheep like me. Also the red light comes on first, you aren't blinded when you turn it on.

spence
09-30-2005, 06:49 AM
80 smackers to have a battery pack lump on the back of my head! :hs:

-spence

JFigliuolo
09-30-2005, 06:54 AM
I like my Ray-o-vac'cus it's cheep like me. Also the red light comes on first, you aren't blinded when you turn it on.

another "me too"... love the Ro'V.

bloocrab
09-30-2005, 07:40 AM
I'll share another RayO'vaC story....

Another member of this site didn't even know he had dropped his headlamp while out on the sAnd-bar. .... luckily for him, it fell off while it was still turned on. On his way back in to shore, he saw this amber light on the ocean bottom.....WALLA!!....

I actually ran mine over and it still worked, had a tough time keeping the straps in place, but it still turns on. :bl:

Yes, I bought another one....can't go wrong with the price. Just like sunglasses, I can't see paying a lot of coin for something I'm going to break or lose eventually. :yak5:

Arno
09-30-2005, 08:39 AM
All this talk about lights and headlamps makes me feel I've been operating in the stone age. 'Cause my favorites continue to be small penlights hung on a short strap - and held with my teeth when needed. Simple twist or push-button turns them on. Even the squeeze-on type works well. They're also very inexpensive, easy to carry, and easily replaced. If they're too bright (as when new), I just cover them up a bit 'cause it takes very little light to see in the darkness. A weak battery does the same thing. Hey, works for me.

Justfishin'
09-30-2005, 08:49 AM
The best headlamp is none at all! However,it's dangerous on the rocks at night. I've got a Firefly with a 2.5x flip magnafier and LED that goes on the brim of my hat. I tape red cellophane over it and it is pretty nice so far. The web address is www.fireflyeyewear.com.

spence
09-30-2005, 08:51 AM
All this talk about lights and headlamps makes me feel I've been operating in the stone age. 'Cause my favorites continue to be small penlights hung on a short strap - and held with my teeth when needed. Simple twist or push-button turns them on.
It's all a matter of preference. I like the headlamp for walking and don't like holding a light between my teeth. Keep the backup light around the neck.

-spence

JFigliuolo
09-30-2005, 08:53 AM
It's all a matter of preference. I like the headlamp for walking and don't like holding a light between my teeth. Keep the backup light around the neck.

-spence

I've got WAY to many bruises to NOT use a light to negotiate rocks at night

luds
09-30-2005, 09:36 AM
There is a wally world in Weymouth on 53 south of the intersection with RT18

thanks! Actually didn't know what Wally World was. Now I know!

Iwannakeeper
09-30-2005, 09:49 AM
also wallyworld in Quincy on RT 53

luds
09-30-2005, 09:58 AM
also wallyworld in Quincy on RT 53

That one is one of my least favorite places on the planet. Too busy!

Arno
09-30-2005, 10:09 AM
It's all a matter of preference.

Agreed.

doc
09-30-2005, 06:04 PM
forgive my ignorance, but why a red light? i use a petzl and find it totally adequate and defiinitely waterproof given how many times i have taken some waves...

Backbeach Jake
09-30-2005, 07:33 PM
forgive my ignorance, but why a red light? i use a petzl and find it totally adequate and defiinitely waterproof given how many times i have taken some waves...
Red light won't make your pupils pinpoint like a bright white light will. You won't lose your night vision.

fishaholic18
09-30-2005, 07:41 PM
Red light won't make your pupils pinpoint like a bright white light will. You won't lose your night vision.
Also, red light works great in your car, flash on and off while driving=get to your fishing hole faster.... :rotf2:

Raven
10-01-2005, 07:30 AM
thanks! Actually didn't know what Wally World was. Now I know!

heh heh where ya been....lol

ThrowingTimber
10-01-2005, 07:46 AM
Just killed off a ray o vac after 4 seasons. It didnt owe me a thing for the 12 bux I spent for it.

Mr. Sandman
10-01-2005, 03:55 PM
I have a ray-o-vac....I am using one now because my other lights are dead. it is ok but it is not an LED and has no red light or other modes...it is featureless, on and off is all you get. The push button is good and it seems pretty water resistant. (I have some peeling of the mirror layer on mine)

I still don't see a light I really like. I had a princeton tec arora but it could not take the salt water and has a dinking switch I could never find.

Here are the elements of my "prefect light"

0) Must be LED light (the battery life is amazing)

1) 100% waterproof and not effected by salt water. (you should be able to submerege this light and it still works.)

2) white light modes:
- low wide beam
- high wide beam
- high narrow beam
- rapid flashing bright beam
3) red light modes (no sliding filters)
- low level (wider beam)
-med level (wider beam)

4) separate EASY TO FIND BUTTON switches for red and white light.

5) no strap on battery packs must be self contained

6) neck and head wearable

7) 100% factory lifetime replacement warrenty against failure

8) 3 AAA battery design and must use standard batteries.

cost under $100, that is right, I would spend 100 on a light but it has to have those spec's.

redneck24
10-02-2005, 02:50 AM
i have the enegizer from WAL-MART,, better switch than than the rayovac, although the rayovac from WAL-MART served me well. god i love WAL-MART!
http://www.walmart.com/

labrax
10-02-2005, 09:36 PM
Bought the Ray-O-Vac Saturday and used it this morning. Love the red LED feature and the fact that it is the first option. Used it for walk to the beach, changing plugs and unhooking a couple of fish before it got light enough to see what I was doing. Had a EMS headlamp that was good, but the battery case latch broke and it had to be held in place with duct tape - and it did not have a red lens.

likwid
10-02-2005, 10:26 PM
cost under $100, that is right, I would spend 100 on a light but it has to have those spec's.

Look through the petzl site.
The tactikka fits half your req's.
The bigger ones that cost more money have more than you need.

Green actually works a little better than red on charts and maps for some reason. Always have green in the nav station.

luds
10-03-2005, 06:26 AM
i have the enegizer from WAL-MART,, better switch than than the rayovac, although the rayovac from WAL-MART served me well. god i love WAL-MART!
http://www.walmart.com/

Redneck 24. Are ya talking about Wally World? :jester:

redneck24
10-03-2005, 06:42 AM
Redneck 24. Are ya talking about Wally World? :jester:

yes, i am a true redneck, love wally. im not an LL Bean sandal wearing tree hugger. :jester:

spence
10-03-2005, 07:25 AM
Are you talking to me? :rtfm: :rotf2:

-spence

spence
10-03-2005, 08:03 AM
Come on Redneck, let's see a tribal "Always Low Prices" done across the back :humpty:

Back on topic...

I had a chance to use the Streamlight last night. Pretty nice overall. It's much heavier than the Tikka lamps I'm used to, and the single green LED is bright enough for most uses...almost too bright for changing plugs etc...

May not be perfect, but it certianly fits the bill.

-spence

redneck24
10-03-2005, 09:07 AM
first off, that was a general statement, so relax. if you are offended by that statement, well sorry, i can do a tribal tree for you. :huh:

Back Beach
10-03-2005, 09:28 AM
Spence

The petzl is a great light. It has all the features you mentioned and costs about 40 bucks. Strap it to your head and you don't even know its there. Mine has been through all the elements and has held up great. If you get one and don't like it I will happily take it off your hands for a slight discount!

spence
10-03-2005, 09:44 AM
I'm just goofin' Redneck, no harm intended...come on, that would be pretty funny :kewl:

...but if you're going to bust on my L.L. Bean ;)

-spence

redneck24
10-03-2005, 12:20 PM
I'm just goofin' Redneck, no harm intended...come on, that would be pretty funny :kewl:

...but if you're going to bust on my L.L. Bean ;)

-spence

would be funny