View Full Version : Best gloves

cheferson
10-03-2005, 09:47 AM
Whats the best pair of gloves to keep the hands warm in the surf? I got a pair of neoprene diving gloves last season and they didnt do much. Ive seen the aquaskinz and the glacier gloves, anyone tried these or know of others that are any good? Im more worried about warmth when wett, then mobility.

riverrat2
10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
Glacier gloves are awesome fished with thim till mid november, always warm.

jbuck
10-03-2005, 04:00 PM
Chef, give the aquaskinz a try they are GREAT.

Jeff

jon2465
10-03-2005, 04:50 PM
the skinz are great but if you fish braid and put in hours the index will wear out in a month

cheferson
10-03-2005, 05:00 PM
Already decided to not get the skinz after using their dry top. Anyone else use the glacier gloves or anything better.

spence
10-03-2005, 05:49 PM
I used the Glacier Gloves last fall. Pretty nice overall...can't say they are worth the price tag, but they held up pretty well and were warm. They did see some mid November fishing on BI, and it was freaking COLD!

-spence

Mike P
10-03-2005, 06:37 PM
Glacier gloves---or any neoprene gloves---are almost as bad as going bare handed unless you get the polypropelene liners for them.

I've never fished in cold weather with the Aquaskinz gloves, but I can tell you this---they're the only fishing gloves I've ever put on that you could thumb thru a magazine while wearing them. The dexterity they provide is amazing.

cheferson
10-03-2005, 06:48 PM
WHo carries polypropeline liners??

NIB
10-03-2005, 06:50 PM
[QUOTE=Mike P]Glacier gloves---or any neoprene gloves---are almost as bad as going bare handed unless you get the polypropelene liners for them.

This is true.they are like a refrigerator for ur hands.they are bulky with the liners but svaed my hands plenty when fishin thru january.My favorite gloves though are a pair of simms that i left in Tims boat last february.I gues they are like a fleece.they will wick water pretty good for a while.they are open fingered i like that.we fish here in NJ till the end of dec. for the most part.i remember last yr. the week before christmas it was a nice day like 37 degrees an was gettin em here an there.without gloves hooked up wit gary an we fished into the dark an it got cold.my hands where so wet an cold I didn't want to catch anymore.but i kept castin.we left there an got some coffe an poured it on ourselves.

spence
10-03-2005, 06:58 PM
Don't some of the Glacier gloves have a built in liner? I'm pretty sure mine arn't bare neoprene...

-spence

cheferson
10-03-2005, 07:10 PM
Says theyre lined with wool fleece

Raider Ronnie
10-03-2005, 08:05 PM
So who sells these glacier or aqua skins gloves anyway?
got a link ?
sounds like they could be helpful for cod fishing during the winter!

riverrat2
10-03-2005, 08:15 PM
The glacier gloves I have have a fleece lining that is very warm and comfortable. If you arent constantly getting wet than I would look at other gloves but if you are in the surf all night neoprene is the way to go.

*LB
10-03-2005, 09:04 PM
I've been using a pair of neoprene Chota's (https://www.chotaoutdoorgear.com/CyberMerchant/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=59) that are pretty good. I like the removable thumb and index finger feature. They are un-lined and need a liner in the cold. I bought some thin ski glove liners that work well under them - they sell them at any ski shop. Because of the removable finger option water will leak in if you dunk them, but I wouldn't want to give up the dexterity.

NIB
10-04-2005, 05:54 AM
The Glaciers I have are just neopreme no lining.I Imagine they make more than one type of glove.

Crafty Angler
10-04-2005, 07:40 AM
Chef - I've got the poly liners and yeah, they do make a difference with neoprene gloves.

I got my liners at the Army-Navy Surplus Store on Thames St and they were pretty inexpensive as I recall - they sell Grundens stuff there, too.

cheferson
10-04-2005, 09:01 AM
So the poly liners help when wet too??

Thanks

Mike P
10-04-2005, 10:30 AM
Polypro is hydrophobic---sheds water and dries very quickly.

Pete_G
10-04-2005, 11:24 AM
Sometimes I even just wear the poly gloves, they're a little slippery though. Even wet they still help a bit to keep you warm.

For dexterity, the Aquaskinz Gloves are REAL tough to beat especially if you fit one of the sizes perfectly. The add a touch of warmth but I'm not sure they're going to be enough a month from now. They grip eels well too. Just be careful with them the next day. Could well be the best glove on the market except in extreme cold.

There are literally dozens of styles of Glacier Gloves, from cheap (both in build and price) and bulky to expensive and very nice. The best Glacier Gloves have pre-curved fingers so they don't make your hands cramp up after holding a surf rod for hours in the cold. The neoprene is thin and flexible and they are lined with a perfect amount of fleece. I can fish for hours and easily work a manual bail in the dark with them. Some people feel that the neoprene makes them cold after a while, but to me they are still the warmest option that still offers good dexterity. Expensive, but another great glove, as long as you're talking about the models with pre-curved fingers.

Lastly, there is fleece. Fingerless, full finger, fold-over mitt, one way or the other personally I only like fleece in freshwater. I know a lot of people say fleece stays warm even when wet and to some degree it's true, but if you keep getting splashed repetetively, it will quickly suck the heat out of your hands. For dexterity I always have to have fingerless fleece which of course means with time your fingertips get cold. Full fleece gloves have always been too bulky for me and it is VERY rare to find a fleece glove that is form fitting or has some stretch so it stays tight to your hand. Usually there is stitching somewhere along each finger making them bunch up on me. I used to wear them a lot but I almost always wear my Glaciers if I need that sort of warmth. If you can find a stretchy, form fitting glove and you don't get splashed a lot, fleece is a great option.

As in almost all products we use for surf fishing, whether they were intended for surf fishing or not, there are trade offs. It's tough to be thin and warm or thick yet offer dexterity.

pops
10-04-2005, 11:39 AM
sealskinz breathable/wicky and sticky gauntlet version too.
http://www.danalco.com/Store/index.html