View Full Version : Help Needed!

texican
10-05-2005, 09:38 AM
I'm a beginner! Went out to the canal for second time ever this morning. I have not caught anything yet and I know I have to pay my dues. I know knowledge and experience is the key to catching fish unfortunately for me I lack in both departments. I will try again tommorrow mourning hopefully with better results. If anyone has any tips or advise PLEASE HELP! I WILL NEVER GIVE UP.... I use an 11ft. Lami XSRA 1322-2 with an Okuma spinning reel w/30# power pro. I've been trying poppers and will continue to use them (I hope I am using them correctly). I am open to any sugestions that improve my chances on catching stripers. This is compl :lossinit: etely new to me I have fished alot but only on the Texas coast. Thanks for any advise given.
-A Southern Angler :huh:

Flaptail
10-05-2005, 09:54 AM
Go to Red Top bait shop on Main Street in Buzzards Bay. Ask for Nelson or John and tell them Steve Shiraka sent you. Ask them to show you the proper jigs for the canal. Jigs are king right now and almost 24/7 using them. Good tides in the am now and plenty of opportunites. Each day is different but the fish are moving so get in on it while you can. Good luck

Rappin Mikey
10-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Listen to what Flap says, he knows his stuff. You can try using eels at night too. Eels produce LARGE fish. Go to the "How to, FAQ Forum" that will tell you everything you need to know about fishing with eels. Good luck!! My sister in-law is from Texas. I got her into a few linesiders last year, and now she's hooked and calls once a week for updates. I guess she's living vicariously through me. Anyway, goodluck.

striprman
10-05-2005, 10:40 AM
get some of those 4 and 5 ounce white bucktail jigs and a bottle of white pork rinds. Split the rind tail so there are 2 "flappers". Throw the jig into the canal,let it hit bottom, jig it in and hope for the best (watch out you don't get hung on the "drop #^&#^&#^&#^& ledge.)

bassmaster
10-05-2005, 11:18 AM
buy 500 bucks worth of jigs when thewre gone u will be good

tynan19
10-05-2005, 12:26 PM
http://www.striped-bass.com/Stripertalk/showthread.php?t=14919
Good luck and noting beats being there and putiing in your time. :boots:

JPowers
10-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Bassmaster :bl:

pogmobass
10-05-2005, 01:44 PM
I have been having luck with 4-6" Storm wildeye shads (Bunker pattern) at night, slow retrieve, but i am not telling you where in the canal i am catching them.

texican
10-05-2005, 02:40 PM
I think I'm gonna try jigging and poppers and maybe the storm shads(I heard of a good spot to use the shads at and when :jump: ) I will let you guys know how I made out. If you have anymore info I'd appreciate it. :bl:

lurch
10-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Tex,
sent you a PM!

Bass Babe
10-05-2005, 05:30 PM
A little birdie told me you like PMs...so I sent ya one.

texican
10-05-2005, 09:10 PM
P.S. I live in Wareham.