View Full Version : Charlestown slip/launch places

Billybob
02-19-2002, 09:30 AM
Hey guys, looks like I got a house to rent for August 3rd right off Charlestown beach road.Any suggestions on where I can slip my boat for a week, or a good ramp. That breachway ramp isn't gonna cut it, and I did stop at a place called Lavins, but that looks like a trip to the ocean.The boat is a 23 Seacraft CC. Thanks.

JohnR
02-19-2002, 10:27 AM
Hey Billy - good to see you coming up to Rhody, we'll need to hook up...

I don't know what facilities http://Oceanhousemarina.com has but there is another closer marina in the pond that I'll get the name for you...

02-19-2002, 12:45 PM
Billy,
I live in Charlestown and you have a few options in regards to a boat ramp. The cheapest would be to use the free launch at the Charlestown Breachway, this ramp is ok at best, the currents come in and out rather strong and often it's pretty shallow. During the summer parking can be an issue also.

There is a small marina close bye called Shelter Harbor, on Beach Road, he allows launching for $10.00 I think, again there are some shallow areas within the Salt Pond.

In regards to renting a slip for the week, all I can say is good luck or you better bring the Plastic Card, slips are worth more than gold in this area.

A better alternative would be to use the Westerly, or Wakefield public ramps, both have great parking, and fantastic launching structures and depth. Nice docks to tie off while you move your vehicle. Both are about a 15-20min ride from Charlestown. Wakefield gives you Point Judith which is top notch in early season, and Westerly gives you Watch Hill.....another great area.

Hope this helps, e-mail me if you need any further info.