View Full Version : Variable vs Set Speed lathes

EricW
10-08-2005, 10:17 AM
Hi,

What is everyone's opinion on using a lathe that has variable speeds vs say a 5 or 6 speed one. The jet lathes for example come in both forms. Would it be worth it for the extra $$ to go with a variable. I currently use a Dunlap from the 40's with a motor and pulley that I had laying around and it works great. I have no idea on what speed I currently use. Maybe it doesn't matter that much. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Eric

MAC
10-08-2005, 10:59 AM
for turning plugs with softwood I believe in Ron Popiels statement "Set it and forget it"

If turning hardwoods I turn the speed down a little otherwise it is 3000 RPM

Charleston
10-08-2005, 11:50 AM
I have the VS Jet Midi lathe. I bought this particular machine for one reason. I through drill my plugs with the chuck in the head stock. I also cup my poppers with a combination of a forstner bit and ball rasp. All done with my drill chuck in the headstock. The different tools require different spindle speeds. With the VS speed machine I make less belt/pulley changes.

SO, is the lathe worth the extra $$................yup!

Tip; watch the tool crib at Amazon. I got my VS lathe complete with bed extension for $100 less that the set speed machine....with free shipping. During the Christmas season last year.

gadabout
10-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Eric,

I'm also contemplating a lathe purchase and have been wondering the same thing. I expect I will probably going with the variable speed model. Keep in mind that with the Jet, you still have to move belts and pulleys. The speed adjustment will cover a certain range and you have to move the belt to go to the next range of speeds.

gone fishin
10-09-2005, 02:51 AM
I agree with Mac - set it and forget it. I have a Jet and asked the same questions before making the purchase. I went with the non - variable and have never reset the belts turning plugs. If you are going to do bowls and an assortment of stuff, the variable might be nice. If you are turning plugs, save the dough and buy a quality chisel.

I drill and do all the things you are doing and have not had to change speeds.

Just my opinion. :bl: :bl: :bl:

stripercrazy
10-09-2005, 08:20 AM
sea-5, what kind of chuck do you use? thanks for your help.I'm thinking to wait to x-mass too and see what sales happen. ed

Charleston
10-09-2005, 09:40 AM
I use the normal 1/2" drill chuck with the #2 Morse taper. It fits both the head and tail stocks on the Jet lathe.

I understand the opinions here about using a single speed for everything. In most cases while turning it is OK. When you plunge cut the end grain with a 1/2" forstner bit a slower spindle speed will give a better cut and prolong tool life. while cutting a popper cup with a ball rasp, 3000 RPMs will rip the plug blank right out of your hand!!

The jet VS machine does require a belt/pully change withing the speed ranges but I only use the high and low range. This results in 2 changes per entire run of plugs. A very small task when considering tool performance, tool life and plug quality!

I would be willing to bet that the Christmas pricing will be up on Amazon soon. Good luck with you new found hobby.