View Full Version : Vineyard "2005"

Swimmer
10-11-2005, 11:41 AM
My brother (Squid Kids Dad) and I left Sunday after a great ten days of time off, fishing, and kibitzing with people who have the same thing in common. Caught numerous albies, just not every day. Caught a few stripers, blues, and from what I was told were small northern barracuda about ten inches long on a flie. Put 700 miles on my truck mostly on the beach. Gas was $3.52 a gallon where I bought it. Not as bad as I thought it would be.

Heard some great stories and was nearby when some funny things happened. One of them was two people that we fished next too on the neach were thrown off the chappy ferry. After driving on the ferry the captain approaches the truck and says eight dollars. Trucks driver replied he only paid $5.00 that morning. Boat captain supposedly went off on thetwo guys big time. Boat captian turns boat around in mid channel and after docking the ferry where it has just embarked threw trucks driver and passenger off the ferry telling them not use the ferry again. I myself was charged several different rates for travel to and from Chappy, so I can understand why the trucks driver question the eight dollar fee. These two guys were staying with a buddie of mine, so the story as I was told seemed pretty staright up.

Also the ferry has a habit of opening 1/2 hour early to those willing to pay $7.00 more for the round trip to chappy fort a total of $20.00 for the round trip. Boat captain walks up and down the street where all the people park waiting for the ferry service to start for the day asking who si willing to pay more for the earlier service. Some people are there an hour or more early waiting. Boat captain asks other vehicles to move, so that people willing to pay the extra $7.00 dollars can get by, and drive on the ferry. That really wrankles some of the waitees. Some of the waitees who shall remain nameless stood up for all the people in line who didn't have the extra money and refused to move their first in line vehicle. Cops were called to mitigate. What pisses me off is that the ferry service couldn't survive without use of public property adjacent to ferry for cars to wait in line. Its wrong that ferry captain can dictate what happens on public property, by getting cops to move vehicles, so the ferry service can start earlier.

The other story I will tell you about was my brother being attacked by a skunk in the yard of the house where we were staying. I was in the kitchen and I heard SKD screaming. Thought he was being mugged outside somewhere. Ran outside and I saw SKD scrambling to get into truck. I was making my way to the trucks door and yelled to him what was wrong. He said something about a skunk. Told him to finish getting in truck and I would get a flashlight. I came back and the skunk had departed. Evidently SKD was squaring away some gear standing next to open passenger door when the skunk walked right between his legs and the hair on the skunked tickled one of his ankles. Skunk not spraying, priceless. SKD not stinking, priceless.

Got into he usual shoulder to shoulder albie fishing at Wasque. Not many people got pissed off. Everyone pretty much behaved.

vineyardblues
10-11-2005, 12:15 PM
LOL

Never in all my years have I been told about the cost of the chappy ferry going up and down like that? SOmetimes they may make an error for the number of other people in the truck(3.00)each and 10.00 for the truck and driver. I think that's what it cost? ( buy the pass,next time) cheaper!

Also I have never been asked to pay extra to get over early ?? That just sounds crazy. But I was never in line that early this year.

Plus, how can he turn around 1/2 way across when it's being pulled by a cable ? lomfa :)

Glad you had fun

VB

Squibby17
10-11-2005, 12:59 PM
Interesting story. The chappy ferry is the biggest rip off on that island. They do have a borderline mobster dealings early morning. Thats why when I was down there a few weeks ago I insisted on driving over nortons point (now that its finally opened).

THe skunks on the island are more aggresive than the main land because the have no real natural predators. I have had more than one altercation with them before. The barracuda type thing you talked about i saw as well. We were fishing the gut and I snagged one by accident. It looked like a huge needle fish except with large teeth. I have fished the island for 20 years and I have never seen them untill this year.

Strange thing is I had to come back up to Boston and the south shore to get into the larger stripers. It was spotty at best when I was down there. I got a feeling its going to heat up this week into november :hidin:

cheferson
10-11-2005, 01:07 PM
The mini barracudas are northern sennet

reelecstasy
10-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Great fishing with you at Wasque, that place looked like PA on opening trout day, but it was fun. I liked looking down the line and seeing about 15 MSBA people casting and retrieving their arses off at the albies. This was my first trip to the Derby, and I had a blast. Nothing big bass wise but it was a good time and I loved getting to fish so many places I had read about. That and picking up a mystery prize for the bone I wieghed in, nice keepsake for my first derby...... We fished hard and had a blast doing it....

ScottM
10-11-2005, 06:48 PM
Swimmer,
You guys stayed with Paul & Louie right? I was there with my brother, his bro-in-law and our buddy. I didn't even realize you were on this board. Small world. :rolleyes:

Clammer
10-11-2005, 06:58 PM
Great for you guys //can,t kill memories... :conf:

Mr. Sandman
10-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Reel, you weighed in a Bone from the shore? if so that was great! Not too many weighed in this year from the beach.

Squid kids Dad
10-11-2005, 07:31 PM
scottm..it is a small world...we were there...lol..but not much...fishing.fishing...fishing...

Squid kids Dad
10-11-2005, 07:34 PM
ummm scottm which one was you??

Joe
10-11-2005, 08:05 PM
I had a local from Block Island really scream at me at the landfill one time because I did not separate my trash correctly - I've had a bunch of experiences with locals that were negative, on Block, in Naragansett, The Vineyard.
If you let it get to you - you won't go again - and that is just what they are hoping will happen. You just have to learn to compartmentalize the people who live near where you want to fish and not let it ruin your appreciation of a place. They are under the illusion that because they live there - they own it. Willa Cather wrote that, "We come and go but the land is always here, and the people who love it and understand it are the ones who own it - for a little while."

Surfpirate
10-11-2005, 08:54 PM
I was able to go to the Vineyard and was a guest at Casa Patrick (Basis Patrick) for a few days.

The reports I was getting were that it tool an hour in line to weigh a fish at derby headquarters, but as soon as I arrived the bite shut down!

It was a tough few days, originally I was looking to get a grand slam (catch a striper, blue fish, Bonito and False Albacore) but... in short order my priories changed and all I wanted was to catch a fish big enough to weigh!

Then on day 4, I got lucky and caught a large enough bluefish and bonito to get weighed.

the Bonito held on to place.

I will be back next year.

tynan19
10-12-2005, 05:09 PM
I am glad you guys had fun. It is a truely amazing and facinating place. I can't wait till next year.

ScottM
10-12-2005, 05:40 PM
ummm scottm which one was you??

The handsome one, of course! :hee: Glasses and a goattee. I was with these 3 rubes.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v133/SeabirdCC/Squibby1.jpg

Squid kids Dad
10-12-2005, 06:49 PM
:kewl: lol...