View Full Version : taged striper

snake slinger
10-13-2005, 01:51 AM
i caugt a bass with a tag the tag reads return littorol soc new jersey.do i just mail it to them?

MAC
10-13-2005, 04:41 AM
i caugt a bass with a tag the tag reads return littorol soc new jersey.do i just mail it to them?

Yes, but just mail the tag not the bass.... :hee: (just messing with you) They will send you a letter with when it was tagged and a hat I believe. Good job. :kewl:

denis
10-13-2005, 08:30 AM
You can call it in they will tell you what to do.--908-291-0055

JFigliuolo
10-13-2005, 08:38 AM
didn't know what to do. didn't clip the tag.

MoroneSaxatilis
10-13-2005, 09:33 AM
Here is their website. Follow the links to d/l a tag report.
http://www.littoralsociety.org/

Bass Babe
10-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Do you keep the fish and the tag, rip the tag off/out, or take down the number and let the fish go? Do they want to know length or girth or weight, or only location?

MoroneSaxatilis
10-13-2005, 10:18 AM
Do you keep the fish and the tag, rip the tag off/out, or take down the number and let the fish go? Do they want to know length or girth or weight, or only location?
http://www.littoralsociety.org/tag%20form.htm
IMO, they don't ask for enough info. I caught a Littoral tagged fish about a month ago and I had everything from xacxt L/L to length, weight, girth, water temp, etc etc. As you can see from the tag return form in the link, they don't need to know all that.

It's your choice whether or not to keep the fish. In either case they request that you cut the tag off and send it to them.

Water Treater
10-13-2005, 10:57 AM
Cut the yellow ALS tag at the knot to avoid cutting through the six digit ID number. Make a note where/when you caught the fish, it's fork length, and if the fish is of legal size and if you keep the fish and happen to weigh it, its weight. Weight is not critical info because the guy/gal who tagged and released that fish did not and could not accurately measure its weight at time of release.
Send info with tag to Pam Carlsen Director of the ALS fish tagging program in Sandy Hook, NJ. You will be a hero and will be rewarded. I've tagged more than 1,000 fish for the ALS (42 returns so far) but I've never caught a fish with a tag. Consider yourself lucky. Buy a lottery ticket with the same number. Who knows!

snake slinger
10-13-2005, 12:16 PM
thanks for the help.the fish was around 25 inches i saw the tag when i was unhooking it and i cut it out and released the fish

MotoXcowboy
11-20-2005, 05:43 PM
i caught one with a tag this friday :wave: was just searching and found this thread. glad i didnt make a new one..gotta go check out there site now, hope i can find out more about the fish over there. :bo:

quick decision
11-20-2005, 05:45 PM
Did you hear back from the people who tagged the bass?

snake slinger
11-21-2005, 06:57 AM
havent heard anything yet.

marky1
11-21-2005, 11:23 AM
I've caught 2 with those tags,....Never got a hat! What they send you is the history of the fish,
Where it was tagged,
How long in length at time of tag,
And who the tagger was. And more than likely ,you will get a tiny little patch.

MotoXcowboy
11-21-2005, 11:57 AM
I just mailed mine out this morning...how long did it take (estimate) to get the info on the fish back?

Mr. Sandman
11-21-2005, 01:53 PM
All these years of fishing and never caught a tagged fish. My dad caught a few and I think he got a hat.

I wish they would put those new pop-up tags on bass that pop up at different times, this way I could track a school of fish to see exactly where they hang out from week to week.

Windcheater John
11-21-2005, 03:05 PM
The belly tagged fish is a federal tagged fish most likely or a HRF fish. The federal tagged fish you will get a hat. the Yellow tags behind the Dorsil is a Littoral tagged fish and they are out of Sandy Hook, New Jersey with a Highlands address and you will receive a patch, and a breif discreption of location, size, weight, and individual who caught it the first time.

striprman
11-21-2005, 03:11 PM
I've caught 3 tagged fish. Got a nice letter from the U.S. Department of the Interior, fish and wildlife service. (Maryland Fisheries Resource Office) thanking me for "participating". "Form" letter said tagging takes place from Massachusetts to North Carolina.
The enclosed "certificate" is very nice. Yellow parchment paper with a pic of a bass and data about the tagged fish.
tag # 198299, date tagged 11/13/1991, hatchery fish, Patuxent river in MD, tagging agency MDHAT (Maryland hatchery)
tag# 334928, date tagged 4/13/98, wild, Rappahannock river in VA, tagging agency VAVINS (Virginia ???) that was a decent fish about 35 pounds, 45 inches.
tag#31533, date tagged 11/15/88, release site: Little Neck Bay (Long Island)
size at release:18.1 inches, wild, tagging agency NYDECCST

All caught in the canal

got a hat with a logo and printed "participant striped bass consevation" for each fish.

cow tamer
11-25-2005, 06:47 PM
I too caught a tagged bass in November. The tag is from the Hudson River Foundation. There tag is located in the lower, back belly area whereas the American Littoral Society tag is located up behind the dorsal fin area. The Hudson tag is 3 inches and straight wheras the Littoral tag is looped.

afterhours
11-25-2005, 07:06 PM
pic of hudson river certificates.

UserRemoved1
11-25-2005, 07:09 PM
My 10 year old caught one with a USFWS tag and we called right from the boat, he got a great pin and a nice wall hanging showing where the striper was tagged. He had been caught only 30 days before somewhere down south.

Swimmer
11-25-2005, 09:39 PM
Think how funny that would be to box up the striper with some dry ice and fedex or brown the fish, tag and all to whatever organization sponsered the tag.

MoroneSaxatilis
11-26-2005, 09:48 AM
The Littoral tagged fish I got this year was belly tagged. I can't remember where the tag was located on the Littoral tagged fish I caught several yeras ago.