View Full Version : Lot's o'Water, Why?

JFigliuolo
10-13-2005, 07:23 AM
Last night in SoCo there was a TON of water. Most I've seen this year. I can't figure out why. The wind was from the NE blowing hard. would have expected the blow to push water out. Someone educate me!

NIB
10-13-2005, 07:30 AM
Huge ocean swells.some of the biggest water i have seen since the halloween storm of 92.NE is a Mo Fo here jetty's are gonna get blown up never mind the sand structure.gust to 45 mph all day in the last 48 hrs 7 inches of rain.This will be the seventh straight day of rain.with 3 more to come.Thank god its not on the moon

RIROCKHOUND
10-13-2005, 07:33 AM
There is a significant low pressure system sitting just to the east of New England (moving around somewhat) This is blocked by a high pressure to the north creating the strong easterly flow. With these low pressure systems we usually get a pretty significant swell (more on east facing beaches; gansett is a white mess, at least SoCo was big clean swells). You also get elevated tide levels (storm surge).
The offshore winds wont do much against the swells, they might knock them down a bit, but expect big swells into the weekend...

In short just a good old fashioned Nor'Easter, odd for them to last 6 freakin days though. I wouldnt be expecting to drive the track at East Beach or Charlestown at anything but dead low for a few days...

RIROCKHOUND
10-13-2005, 07:37 AM
Not as significant as a hurricane storm surge, which usually only lasts one tidal cycle, this guy has been elevated 20-40cm for 3 high tides and couting, expect coastal flooding in low lying areas (some parking lots etc..) and possibly more damage to coastal structures (people who live in SoCo might no which one to keep an eye on)

JFigliuolo
10-13-2005, 07:39 AM
cool thanks. Makes landing fish in the rocks even more challenging. Crap next time I'm out may as well fish in shorts, between the wind/surf/getting in the water to lift fish, I'm more wet than dry.

spence
10-13-2005, 08:00 AM
Not as significant as a hurricane storm surge, which usually only lasts one tidal cycle, this guy has been elevated 20-40cm for 3 high tides and couting, expect coastal flooding in low lying areas (some parking lots etc..) and possibly more damage to coastal structures (people who live in SoCo might no which one to keep an eye on)
Additionally, I think thermal gradients could be energizing a lower potential circulation breaking point.

Physical restrictions in kinetic atmospheric fusion potential, in proper alignment with the Earth's axial retrograde motion could product spun eddies in the upper atmosphere and possibly generate enough flux to induce enhanced evaporation.

My Dad used to always say, "It's all about the Coriolis Force anyway..." but this time I'll just agree with the RockHound :buds:

-spence

NIB
10-13-2005, 08:03 AM
Additionally, I think thermal gradients could be energizing a lower potential circulation breaking point.

Physical restrictions in kinetic atmospheric fusion potential, in proper alignment with the Earth's axial retrograde motion could product spun eddies in the upper atmosphere and possibly generate enough flux to induce enhanced evaporation.

My Dad used to always say, "It's all about the Coriolis Force anyway..." but this time I'll just agree with the RockHound :buds:

-spence

My man what did ur dad do to u as a kid.
U gotta get out more.

RIROCKHOUND
10-13-2005, 08:04 AM
Tony; you dont know the half of it...

JFigliuolo
10-13-2005, 08:11 AM
Anyone who fishes w/Spence... you now have my deepest symapthy. Reminds me of fishing w/Cliff Claven...

"Sorry Mrs (spences wife/GF/Mother), He just fell in, we tried to help him but there was nothing we could do..."

Nebe
10-13-2005, 08:13 AM
My man what did ur dad do to u as a kid.
U gotta get out more.

His wife wont let him :devil:

piemma
10-13-2005, 09:42 AM
Fishing with Spence is like having a root canal done while getting hit by waves... (just kidding Jeff)

NIB
10-14-2005, 05:42 AM
My Dad used to always say, "It's all about the Coriolis Force anyway..."

-spence

My dad usta say "don't be stupid u moron"