View Full Version : sorta-surfsters

Young Salt
10-16-2005, 10:30 AM
that i made with the smaller surfster lips......you may be asking yourself 'why dont the have the slanted head?' while i would like to be able to say it was all part of some well thoughtout plug engineering, i got them all the way to primed before i realized my screwup.

CapeDawg
10-16-2005, 10:36 AM
Nice plugs YS, I really like the middle one :btu:

NIB
10-16-2005, 11:23 AM
So how do they swim not sure the head cut matters much with that lip..The middle one looks cool some kinda ailienjungle cock feather design.sorta.ur paint is awesome.did u do the gills wit a stencil.or by hand.looks neat.

zacs
10-16-2005, 12:05 PM
i like the windows on the schoolbus. I think they will swim good. nice siwashes. overall you're the man. please give me one.

ProfessorM
10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Very nice job as usual. P.

Tagger
10-16-2005, 05:19 PM
like mistakes

justplugit
10-16-2005, 07:43 PM
[QUOTE=Young i got them all the way to primed before i realized my screwup.[/QUOTE]

yup, been there done that.:D

Real nice YS. :hihi: :kewl:

thefishingfreak
10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
nice nice nice!!! :heybaby:

Jigman
10-17-2005, 11:30 AM
Look good :btu: Hopefully the mistake will pay off for you :gf: Never know where your next inspiration will come from :hihi:

Jigman

Young Salt
10-23-2005, 07:19 AM
thx for the kind words....nib the jungle cock effect does look cool, but thats just an effect from the scanner against the dark back.
i did the gills with some frisket paper, on the top one i didn't clean or let the stencil dry off before doing the last side, giving me that slight smudge.

the plugs have some wiggle to them, but ride high and tend to hydroplane on the surface in any kind of current. all they have is a small amount of belly weight in the thick part. i have one of the large C.C. surfster that seems to not have any weight at all. Do you guys add weight to yours?

I know the bottom one could be called schoolbus or chicken scratch, but i was think of it as yellow submarine :bl: if the plugs dosnt work the way i want it to i may have to toss these to the blue meanies :eek:

Jigman
10-23-2005, 10:04 AM
I don't add weight to my surfsters. The lip adds plenty of weight. You want the nose to be down in the water. Part of the reason for the slope, is that it helps the lip grab in current. At least that is how I've viewed it. You could always add the slope and repaint if they are not working the way that you intended.

The first thing I would do though is remove the weight. If the weight is in the belly, it will cause the nose to come up some rather than dig. This may be one reason that they are rolling out in current.

Jigman

NIB
10-23-2005, 12:51 PM
Try removin the rear belly hook.Make the front hook bigger.
An bend the lip up.an the line tie up.

NIB
10-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Try removin the rear belly hook.Or Make the front hook bigger.
An bend the lip up if u can..an the line tie up.This should bring the nose down an bendin the lip up should allow more water to pass over the top of the plug instead of being blocked by the lip.which is what cause's it to pop out.should work.now its probably gonna roll some as i find the flat top reduces some of that.Instead of just feedin em to bluefish take one an mess wit it to see if u can get what u want out of it so u know the next time.before u paint.
Not much of a fan of surfsters really.I have a few from a highly touted guy who used to post here.I have a 3 oz one I'm gonna cut the lip out of it replace it wit a moores pikie lip.after i add a slug o lead to the belly.its real big an it casts. like a wet rag.for 3 oz's

Zeno
10-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Unlike NIB I am a huge fan of sursters especially when tossing them in the yummy rough white water or wiggling them on the back of a wave .I would suggest taking a back hook out completely.I fish all my surfers without the back hook with just a little teaser instead.I want that tail up as high as possible and I want it slapping the water almost like a pencil popper in slow motion.Rear hook will weigh the plug down and take away from the action its designed to do.imho ,of course

NIB
10-23-2005, 10:39 PM
I remeber u losin a good fish on one.I just prefer a Z lip.Thats what I'm used to.Although lefty an his son wade make a small version of a surfster that kills on the flat water.

Zeno
10-24-2005, 02:30 PM
I remeber u losin a good fish on one.

Yup ,but it wasn't the plugs fault that vmc straitened out.If anything its a compliment to it

NIB
10-24-2005, 05:29 PM
Yup ,but it wasn't the plugs fault that vmc straitened out.If anything its a compliment to it

I did not mean to imply that i just remember u using an losing it.I figured u where a fan.Someone hooks a good fish on a plug an they become a fan.