View Full Version : tires :af:

MAC
10-16-2005, 12:40 PM
Well on my wat to the canal yesterday in the rain (heavy rain) I feel my steering getting sluggish. (I am in the highspeed lane) I figure out rather quickly that I am getting a flat tire. Well by the time I get over to the breakdown lane it is starting that whack-whack noise as it is riding on the rim. Well with the heavy rain I need to drive down the guard rail 300 yds till I can pull the truck totally off the road so as not to get hit by oncoming traffic while changing a tire. I get out the mickey mouse jack and handle and drop the spare. I use my jack board and get it in position to lift the front end. Well the tire is partially off the rim so decide to try to pop it the rest of the way off. BAD MOVE.... the lug wrench snaps right where the square hole is that allows the lug wrench to act as a handle with the other 2 pieces. The reason I wanted to get the whole tire off of the rim was because I couldn't get at the lugnuts. Well tire wouldn't come the rest of the way off and rim spins as I try to loosen the lug nuts. 10 minutes later and a lot of cuss words I have the lugs loose. Then it starts to rain even harder. I start to jack up the the truck and the broken lug wrench only catches every other turn. (what a piece of crap that wrench is) All the while I am looking and hoping a state trooper comes by but no such luck. I get the tire changed and proceed to Mikes (M&D's) to get 2 reels respooled> I get to the canal and get the old adage { you should have been here 2 hours ago}. Still manage to jig up some bass and a couple of blues. Get the truck home today and go out pricing tires. OUCH 2 1/2 hours later and over 900 bux the truck has new sneakers and a fresh wheel alignment. ( one of the other tires was getting worn so replacing 2 was out of the question) Here is the lug wrench; what a joke

seabass
10-16-2005, 07:51 PM
those things always seem to happen at the worst possible times. $900? them must be some fine wheels! ouch.

MAC
10-16-2005, 08:39 PM
those things always seem to happen at the worst possible times. $900? them must be some fine wheels! ouch.

179 per tire and 129 for wheel alignment. (good for 3 years) tires are BFGs LT 285/75R16. probably going to beat me up with gas mileage. I figured it would shock my wife but it didn't faze her. She was thinking 800 and I was thinking 600

basswipe
10-17-2005, 04:55 AM
1st thing I ever bought when I began driving was a floor jack and 4-way lug.T
Those mickeymouse stock wrenches and jacks are a joke.

justplugit
10-17-2005, 12:31 PM
oh man Mac, bummer.:( Those single lug wrenches might as well be made of aluminum foil.:hihi: You didn't say the fudge word did ya.:huh: :D

BigBo
10-17-2005, 01:50 PM
Must be a Dodge. I recognize that wrench. :uhoh: I put those same tires on mine. The gas mileage was already bad with the 5.9L. The tires didn't make it too much worse. Maybe a bit.

MAC
10-17-2005, 02:52 PM
Must be a Dodge. I recognize that wrench. :uhoh: I put those same tires on mine. The gas mileage was already bad with the 5.9L. The tires didn't make it too much worse. Maybe a bit.

Yes it is a Dodge. Only thing I am finding is that on an extremely hard left hand turn the tire rubs on the control arm ( I think that is what that part is)

Raven
10-17-2005, 03:14 PM
i once had to have my lugs cut off with a torch because they were rusted solid....even heat ...liquid wrench , and the huge 4 -way wouldnt turn -em....

thats too bad Mac...at least you'll have traction this winter...

BigBo
10-18-2005, 02:51 AM
Yeah, they'll rub a little bit MAC. But like you said, only on hard over turns. No worries. :btu: