View Full Version : Chimney cap

RIJIMMY
10-18-2005, 11:34 AM
I think thats what its called. Well, mine belw off about 6 months ago.
I've been putting off getting it fixed. Truthfully, do you need this thing? Whats it for? I never had one on my chimney when I was a kid.

The Iceman 6
10-18-2005, 12:20 PM
RIJ -

Think it's mainly used to keep birds, squirells, etc., out of the ol' chimney, think it's a good to have but not 100% neccessary. Also, think they are not that expensive, $75 and under. Funny, I don't remember having one as a kid also....

Ice

MakoMike
10-18-2005, 02:53 PM
It also helps keep the rain out, and prevent the rain water from washing all that gunk back down your chimney.

chris L
10-18-2005, 02:59 PM
Possible Advantages:
1. Keeps Animals, especially Raccoons and Birds, from setting up home in your chimney or fireplace.
2. Keeps Rain and moisture from building up inside chimney. This can help reduce the chimney smell that often invades homes in the warmer weather.
3. Sheds ice and rain from the chimney crown, which is the cement cover on the top of the chimney structure. This will extend the life of the crown and eliminate some causes of cracking of the flue tile.
4. Increase draft of chimney, especially in areas with constant wind.
not totally necessary but it may save you on costs and aggravation later on

zacs
10-18-2005, 03:09 PM
I need help with numbers 2 and 4. Sometimes I get that "not so fresh" chimney smell in the summer , and sometimes I get a smokey house in the winter.

Where can I find one of these new fangled chimney caps? What do they look like? How do they work?

chris L
10-18-2005, 03:18 PM
here is a site that has pictures . I had mine installed by my chimney sweep ( with his top hat and black long coat ) .

jeffsod
10-18-2005, 03:59 PM
There is a lot of info on the web about them. I don't think they always help with back drafts. There are some specific models that are supposed to be better. Mine is not a standard top so buying off the shelf wouldn't work so a chimmney sweeper is the best bet. One of the things I remember when researching was keeping heavy rains out which can damage the masonry.

hooked
10-18-2005, 10:07 PM
Just another reason to strap on the korkers. Got mine at HD for about $25 and it does reduce the cabin smell in the humid weather. Just don't let your kids see you locking Santa out.

Raven
10-18-2005, 10:12 PM
Santa Claus has some magic raindeer dust just for that....

he lays his finger beside his nose and presto.... down the

chimney he goes ...chimney caps dont bother this dude. :kewl:

Swimmer
10-19-2005, 08:09 AM
Caps help keep the rain out which extends chumney flu life, no animals, birds, and also keeps down the smell caused by rain soaking into soot and creosote. I burn wood, 3 to 5 cords on average and since I put the cap on thier has been a noticable difference with the draft and smell.

Raven
10-19-2005, 08:36 AM
.. there has been a noticable difference with the draft

SWIMMER? that cap would have reduced YOUR draft A BIT.... yes?