View Full Version : Tim leaving the fisherman

eelman
08-17-2000, 12:47 PM
I just got off the phone with tim coleman editor of the new england edition of the fisherman magazine.
I was shocked when he told me that he was to retire and december will be his last hurah.For those of you who dont know tim,he was one of the best bass fisherman on the east coast and one of the nicest guys you ever want to meet.He will be missed greatly.Tim always held a special place in his heart for surfcasting,I fear the magazine may take a different turn.Tim has been the editor of the new england edition since the magazines inception in 1973,I just cant picture reading that magazine without his input and style.Tim also took a special likeing to me and kind of took me under his wing with advice and a wealth of info on block island,Not only has he helped me become a better fisherman he has also been a great friend and still will be.Im just sad to see the end of an era.We all owe alot to that publication over the years and those guys started it the hard way.I dont know to many people who are into bass fishing that dont peak at its contents once a week,it has become some what of a religion.It has gone down hill some but still,it is a must read!

I have a ton of respect for tim and wish him well in his retiermant years!! Hopefully they will find someone to replace him that is half as good as he.He related to me that he plans to spend his time wintering in florida chasing tarpon and grouper in the winter and summering here in rhode island chasing the bass as he has alwayes done!!

That magazine will never be the same.

I wish tim the best in his later years and im sure he will still be spotted in the suds from time to time!!

JohnR
08-17-2000, 01:02 PM
That's sad to hear for our sake but good for Tim. The Fisherman has been successful because of Tim and they will be hard pressed to duplicate that success without him, but it can be done. He's a good man, not just in his efforts regarding the fish, but all in all a very good man, and a hell of a fisherman. But this way, he'll be able to spend some more time doing what he likes best, fishing!!!

Good luck Tim!!!

John

Slipknot
08-17-2000, 06:17 PM
Maybe now he will have time to get his name in the world record books. I'll miss his articles.

fisherwoman
08-19-2000, 11:09 AM
I also will be sad to see him go, he has been a great supporter and fighter for the recreational fisherman, he has put alot of his efforts into keeping the stripers from becoming non exsistent. It is very sad to be loosing someone who cares so much for this resource, hopefully on the shoreline he will continue his fight, but best wishes to him as he moves on to a new beginning!!!!!

slipknot
08-30-2000, 11:26 AM
#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&, I don't think he is leaving untill next june or later. I got that from the field editor. Nothing lasts forever. He is one of the best. With all the talk of a lack of big fish lately I've decided to release all stripers the rest of this year. I kept 2 so far 31" & 38" . We released a 40" on Sat. it feels better than killing them, anyway keep your line wet.

JohnR
08-30-2000, 11:54 AM
Slipnot, I believe it to be true and happening fairly soon. I recently spoke to a very senior contributor last week that confirmed it and #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& talked to the man himself. Now this may have changed in the past week but I haven't heard anything new as of yet.

He is a helluva guy and will be sorely missed. We all wish him the best. We all kid around whether #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& is the best or not and its usually alot of fun but Tim Coleman is one of the few fisherman that Bill idolizes... I really hope that with more time available that Tim gets another chance to dance with the 70 pound lady!!!

slipknot
08-30-2000, 04:43 PM
Let's hope so he deserves it. If I knew half as much about stripers as Tim forgot I'd be pretty good. Boards like this help us to learn more all the time but there is nothing like experience.