View Full Version : Electrical Problem

Got Stripers
10-23-2005, 07:49 AM
Ok, so I'm out a week back and go to turn on my bildge and notice I've lost all power to the electrical panel. It was late in the day, so I blew it off. When I get home I popped the battery compartment cover and noticed the lead to the battery for the bildge pump has corroded and broken. The fuse holder for that looked iffy so I put an new one in and fixed that broken wire connection, pop and new fuse in and the pump works. The problem is it works 24/7, even with the switch on the console turned to off. The other problem is that the power switch on the panel still doesn't work, and the only way to get power to the panel and read other gauges, is if that fuse is inline (can't shut if off now without it removed) and the bildge switch is turned to off.

I'm electrically as dense as they come, shocking isn't it:). I think the next boat I buy I'd like to wire it myself, otherwise how does one know how the damn boat is wired. In my business, equipment comes out with as built wiring diagrams, not so on any boat I've ever owned. I guess that way the dealers are insured it comes back in for service.

MakoMike
10-23-2005, 08:53 AM
GS, Does that bilge pump have a float switch? The pump is supposed to work 24/7 on most boats and its on/off cycle is controlled by a float switch. Make sure that your is working properly. As far as you other problem goes, assuming you replaced the wiring exactly how it was (there wasn't a splice in there was there?) I don't have a clue without looking at the boat. Where does the wire leading from the power switch on the console run?

zacs
10-23-2005, 10:43 AM
electrical is probably the easiest thing the boat for the do-it-yourselfer to fix. It is just a lot of trobuleshooting and follwing the wires around. A basic guide to electrical "theory" on a boat is called "the 12-volt bible" and you can get it on any of the book sites for pretty cheap. It won't tell you how to fix your problem, or how to wire your boat, but it will give you the knowledge you need to fix any problem, install anything, or do anything with your boats electrial systems.

That being said, the problem with your bilge pump can be solved like this.

This is how I would troubleshoot it.

assuming that your pump has a float switch built in... it should have three wires coming off of it. One is the hot for the manual on, one is the hot for the float switch on, and one is the ground. Run a lead off the + and - batt back to the pump. touch the manual hot to the + lead and the ground to the - lead. Pump should run. Touch the float switch hot to the + lead and the ground to the - lead. Pump should not run assuming bilge is dry. If it is running, you have a bad float switch. It could be stuck or just broken. If it only runs with the switch is raised, then the problem is probably with the switch on your pannel. Repeat same sort of process with leads coming to the back of the switch on the pannel.

I hope that makes sense.

GOOD LUCK

ZAC

Got Stripers
10-23-2005, 04:20 PM
Used to have an external float, but like a lot of things, when the float died I snipped the wires and pulled it. One advantage to trailering, but I do need it occassionally to pump some water. Odd thing is I didn't change anything, but reconnect that one broken lead to the pump. It's probably morphed into a couple of electrical problems, just so I can really have some fun:(.

fishaholic18
10-23-2005, 05:09 PM
Bob, I assume you use a switch to turn the pump on/off. If it's running all the time, the switch isn't doing it's job or you hooked up the wrong wire to the pump. The lead to the pump must be hot all the time causing the pump to run all the time.

Roger
10-24-2005, 07:23 AM
From your description it sounds like that broken wire was purposly disconnected. If you fixed what broke, it would work as before. Since it doesn't you need to review what you've done. I assume fixing an inline fuse is not the problem [btw, inline fuses are very weak links. You really need a fuse block]. I'd guess that the "broken" corroded lead that you think goes to the bilge pump is creating the problem.

Try disconnecting it and see what happens. Check all other fuses. If that brings things back to normal, you've found it.

Things like bilge pumps are not important unless you need them, then they are the most important thing you have and you'll wish you had two.