View Full Version : any machinests here?

crashfromamesbury
10-25-2005, 08:01 AM
i have a friend who is trying to find tungsten round stock.. but has no clue where to start looking.. ( the guy wants to start making darts on a metal lathe).. i looked on mcmaster carr for him but they had no real details on the composition of the rod stock.. (usually not 100% tungsten rod..)

any ideas..?

The Dad Fisherman
10-25-2005, 08:08 AM
Darts are usually a Tungsten/Nickle composite...usually like 90-10 or 80-20.

Mugz
10-25-2005, 08:11 AM
McMaster has 4 types.....Seems they are reasonably priced at about $17 for a 6" peice at .2" diameter. But if he's making darts I imagine he could go much smaller, which makes the price cheaper.
Never machined it though.

Material
Grade C-1/C-2 Tungsten Carbide: Balls are harder and more abrasion resistant than chrome steel or carbon steel balls. Hardness is Rockwell A 92, with Grade 25 tolerances.

Grade EMT210 Tungsten Carbide: Features good hardness and abrasion resistance.

Tungsten-Carbide: This material features an excellent combination of hardness and transverse rupture strength which eliminates edge breakdown and premature wear. This premium-quality micrograin carbide has a 10 cobalt content.

High-Density Tungsten Alloy: Also known as chatter-free tungsten, this high-strength material has a 90 percent tungsten, 6 percent nickel, and 4 percent copper content.

Good luck trying to turn darts from it though........

crashfromamesbury
10-25-2005, 08:20 AM
right, he was looking for the 80-20 and 90-10 tungsten nickle composites..

i believe he may have access to a cnc..

i actually throw a set thats made from 95% tungsten... very dense.. i can't imagine how difficult it was to cut..

sizes i think would have to be between 5/16 and 3/8 to start.. where the turned products would end up being 1/4" and slightly larger..

The Dad Fisherman
10-25-2005, 08:48 AM
Hey Crash, what bar did you used to shoot out of? I shot for about 11 years up on the North Shore. probably 10 different places over that time frame.

crashfromamesbury
10-25-2005, 08:57 AM
i have shot everywhere, old town tavern, giordanos, rg's in haverhill, campy's in plaistow nh, the barn in amesbury, the french club (can't think of the real name) in amesbury, electric wave, hampton beach..

chalet club, everett, beverly elks, chelsea french club.. k club in ipswich..

and probably a few others i have forgotten.. i think i have played in 5 or 6 different leagues over the years.. now where i am in somerville i am going to be shooting out of minuteman dart league as soon as the little one gets a bit bigger..

there is a good sunday night dart league that goes on in ipswich , real fun, a lot of beginner shooters up to super a shooters.. its a lot of fun, i ran the league for a few seasons a while back.. its a good time..

The Dad Fisherman
10-25-2005, 09:22 AM
I shot out of the Old Town Tavern for 4 seasons. Shot out of the G'Town VFW for 3 seasons.

also Shot out of the Venice in Lynn for 4 seasons, Brothers in Beverly for a couple, and a couple of 1 season here and there places too.

we should have a S-B dart tourney in the off season....a little luck of the draw action on one of those slow sundays after football season

crashfromamesbury
10-25-2005, 09:28 AM
i never shot out of the v.. but i sure have emptied my share of budweisers there.. small world..