View Full Version : Colors

JHABS
10-31-2005, 08:45 PM
Whats your Favorite Needlefish and Pencil Popper Colors for Night and DAY.......

basswipe
10-31-2005, 08:47 PM
Blurple for needles and olive over white for pencils.

Slipknot
10-31-2005, 08:49 PM
Needle = black/gold/silver :btu:

pencil = green mackeral color or plain white with glitter

Pt.JudeJoe
10-31-2005, 08:54 PM
Nickle, I use tins... :jump:

tattoobob
10-31-2005, 08:58 PM
Needle- Day white, Blue- white, & pink-white Night black-purple, black, white, & eel

Pencle- Day, pink-white, white, yellow white, Night, never use them

Springtides
10-31-2005, 08:59 PM
needle: night black w/red eye
day pink or flo green or yellow
pencil: white w/red eye

libassboy
10-31-2005, 09:19 PM
For needles at night i like blpurple, black/oj, black/ red eyes
During the day i like blue but i almost never use them during the day.
Pencils i like white and yellow/white for daytime
i dont use pencils at night often at all but i did have one night years ago when i killed some bass on a bright orange pencil.

riverrat2
10-31-2005, 09:53 PM
Black/gold for needles at night. Never fish them during the day. Pencils solid ovlive.

Codfather4
10-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Pencils-Yellow over white :humpty:

dickmont
10-31-2005, 10:20 PM
pencils- white, pink-white, yellow-white eyes at the back of the plug.
needles- black, black-purple, olive, baby baby blue.
they all work.

Clammer
10-31-2005, 11:34 PM
Poppers --yellow & then yellow :sick:

Bernzy
11-01-2005, 07:03 AM
Poppers --yellow & then yellow :sick:

"Clammer Yellow" :humpty: :laughs:

Bernzy

Clogston29
11-01-2005, 07:35 AM
Needles - Blk/Purple on dark nights, Yellow/White on lighter nights
Pencils - Yellow/White or White w/ pink stripe

RIROCKHOUND
11-01-2005, 07:58 AM
Nickle, I use tins... :jump:
Yeah, tins shaped like pogie chunks :hidin:
Hi Joe :D

John;
Blurple needles
Black Needles
Yellow needles

Pink/white, Yellow/red or white/blue (atom colored) pencils..

Nebe
11-01-2005, 08:56 AM
Yeah, tins shaped like pogie chunks :hidin:
Hi Joe :D

:gorez: I hear they call him pogie joe over there on the other side of the bridge :D

For me, i only use 3 colors when i use needles... white, copper, and black.

darters- white, yellow, black, copper/silver/black(scup)

dannies- white/silver/gold/olive (herring) black, white.

i keep hearing good things about orange bellies and balck backs.. im gonna make some darters this winter like that.

snake slinger
11-01-2005, 09:20 AM
i fish at nite and like black or eel needles

luds
11-01-2005, 09:58 AM
solid purple at night.

chartreuse/ white anytime.

Arne P
11-01-2005, 10:32 AM
Needles: blurple ; black over either off-white or gold ; olive over gold

Pencils: white with a hint of pink on the sides ; yellow/red head ; blue over silver

reelecstasy
11-01-2005, 10:54 AM
i keep hearing good things about orange bellies and black backs.. im gonna make some darters this winter like that.
:hihi: I heard something like that :rollem:

needles-olive/white, blue/white
blurple, black and I likey the cooper
pencil- blue/pink/white, pink/white, green

Mr. Sandman
11-01-2005, 11:17 AM
Interesting so many like purple. It turns out that purple light travels the furthest in salt water. (factoid of the day)

In my veiw, color is not that important (I think profile and swimming action/presentation and contrast will be picked up and trigger a strike before the color differences, since at night, bass can not see color (physically impossible), during the day, they can see color but their day vision is so poor that I doubt it matters much. (the sets of rods and cones in their eyes actually change over at dusk and dawn) I read someplace that their night vision is something like 90X better then their day vision ), that said, here are my preference for color picks, (I feel most confident fishing (1))

Needles:
1) Olive/white
2) Black/purple
3) Green

Poppers
1) yellow
2) white
3) Olive

Finlander
11-01-2005, 12:05 PM
As for needles black/purple or solid black with red eye at night, eel in brighter conditions. Pencil popper all white or yellow over white has been best for me.

cow tamer
11-01-2005, 01:01 PM
Another color combo that I have heard as being in demand is parrot.

CANAL RAT
11-01-2005, 02:55 PM
pencils-yellow,white,white belly with blue back
needles-blurple,black

riverrat2
11-01-2005, 03:27 PM
I never really understood why people are picky about colors of poppers. The fish can only see the belly 99% of the time.

Christian
11-01-2005, 03:35 PM
olive/white
olive/gold/white
olive/pink/white

mimicks everything.

DZ
11-01-2005, 03:38 PM
Daytime its hard not to go with a "Chantilly Lace Pink" although "Sea Glass Green" just does something for me. Red Dusk fills the bill for me at sunset. When I go out in the evening Tuxedo Black over Friar Plum really tickles my fancy. Thanks for your interest John. :boots:

DZ

spence
11-01-2005, 03:44 PM
Tuxedo Black over Friar Plum really tickles my fancy.
Back in the corn and soybean field of Iowa, we'd call that blurple :hee:

-spence

The Iceman 6
11-01-2005, 04:24 PM
good one spence...

Vermonter
11-01-2005, 06:11 PM
Blurple at night and when I infrequently fish a needle during the day its usually yellow. Yellow/white for poppers.

TheRattBoy
11-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Needles : night , blk/gold
blk
parrot (full moon)

Day : , olv/wht
blu/wht
parrot

Poppers : night , blk

Day : , olv/gold/wht
yellow
blu/wht

Surfpirate
11-01-2005, 07:09 PM
Needle - Eel & burple at night

Pencil - white

winchmaster
11-01-2005, 11:23 PM
White pencil popper day or night
needle I will leave that to you good eastern folks as I think they are all painted invisible out west. :poke:

bloocrab
11-01-2005, 11:59 PM
...In my veiw, color is not that important (I think profile and swimming action/presentation and contrast will be picked up and trigger a strike before the color differences, since at night, bass can not see color (physically impossible), during the day, they can see color but their day vision is so poor that I doubt it matters much. ...

I agree 110%.....

Although I'm partial to BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO............. :jump1: :rotf3: :jump1:

RickBomba
11-02-2005, 12:19 AM
Day:
Yellow top, white bottom.

Nite:
Blurple, well, then again... Never do well at night. :buds:
Usually me and Mikey's out carousing then.
Later,
Rick

rphud
11-02-2005, 01:01 AM
needles: black, blurple, olive/white, parrot, pink/white,white, black/gold/white, black/gold/orange (later fall, late night killer)

pencils: redhead/white. redhead/yellow (both far and above the others, which seems to surprise just about everybody), white, yellow/white. pink/white

Canalman
11-02-2005, 02:21 PM
I like needles red/white candy cane stripes with orange flames coming from the front set of eyes. The rear eyes will be purple glass eyes and lie just behind the jointed portion of the tail. Black fog with gold glitter around the eyes and a long orange tail tied to the siwash.

Go ahead needleman make 'em up :lasso: :humpty:

winchmaster
11-02-2005, 03:28 PM
I never really understood why people are picky about colors of poppers. The fish can only see the belly 99% of the time.
Couple of reasons, one is contrast, stripers see in shades of black and white hence a color that is different shows a contrast. Black and purple are deadly not because of the two colors but because the contrast between each other.
As for a popper not showing, the top color 98% of the time. Well its more like 75% to 25%. The top color during the side to side motion you give does turn on its side a percentage of the time So the plug does indeed flash the top color underwater giving a contrast. And finally certain conditions make it harder for you to pick up your plug from the surroundings. A different color that sticks out from the surroundings, helps you keep an eye on your plug. Havinng eye contact with your popper allows you to make adjustments in how you work the popper.

Steve K
11-02-2005, 03:32 PM
yellow

JoeP
11-02-2005, 03:42 PM
My philosophy with Plugs & Slug-go’s is to use natural-type colors first (olive/white, olive/silver, eel, bunker colors), night or day (red/pink throats are nice too). The conditions & lighting may change but the baitfish don’t change their natural color all that much – and the bass still eat ‘em.

If those colors don’t work I’ll throw black or blurple at night and if very bright then yellows – but I try to avoid those full moon nights anyways :doh:.

riverrat2
11-02-2005, 05:55 PM
Winch, The way I feel is if you are catching fish on pencils or any other type of top water 99% the fish are not going to picky of color especially the top of the plug. I think a fish hits a popper due the action, comotion etc not the color. Have you ever been catching fish on topwater while everyone else who was throwing topwater wasnt getting a touch because they didint have the same color plug as you? Needlefish and swimmers are another story. Contrast plays mor of a role in those plugs because the fish get a better look at the plug, in my opinion

Tagger
11-02-2005, 06:17 PM
day,,,blue & white
night,,,blue & white

Bernzy
11-02-2005, 07:04 PM
day,,,blue & white
night,,,blue & white

That was the fishes color of choice during my 2 wks in RI :humpty: :drool:

Bernzy

redneck24
11-02-2005, 07:19 PM