View Full Version : Beyond bass, a few more reasons I love fall....

Mr. Sandman
11-01-2005, 11:43 AM
The tastes of fall, you gota love them...
Less then an hour to get a heaping bushel with a dip net (first pic) and a second hour+ (and a couple of cocktails) to produce 8# of tasty nuggets

RIJIMMY
11-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm drooling

Mr. Sandman
11-01-2005, 11:46 AM
took the discard of the sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g and stuffed them into my crab traps, placed them in the pond, the next morning had 1/2 bucket of lively green crabs.

Followed the wise advice of a master fishermen on this board and loaded the boat with these

Bernzy
11-01-2005, 11:54 AM
:drool: :drool: That's not fair :crying: :laugha:

Bernzy

RIROCKHOUND
11-01-2005, 11:56 AM
Yup; Nov is my favorite month for fishing!

Youngmoon74
11-01-2005, 12:18 PM
Man those look so good :drool:

Squibby17
11-01-2005, 12:19 PM
not to spot burn burn but where did you get em,

Shearpen Pond, Sengekontacket?

One of my most beautiful moment on the Vineyard was a late october day at Shearpen pond scalloping.

kippy
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Great job Jim. Were the scallops in fairly shallow water? I always thought you could only get them deep.

Diggin Jiggin
11-01-2005, 12:21 PM
Those look like nice eyes :kewl:

At a bushel an hour your opening at a pretty good clip. Brings back a lot of memories... I used to open for my parents when they went commercially.

striprman
11-01-2005, 01:32 PM
Grease up the fry pan and I'll be right over.

Saltheart
11-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Nice catch!! YUMMMMMM scallops....... I love them things.

tynan19
11-01-2005, 01:49 PM
Ohhhh. my!

fish4striper
11-01-2005, 02:00 PM
man oh man...ya gotta love that island!

mdrew9
11-01-2005, 02:00 PM
Nice man, I got about 60lbs + sitting in my fridge at home.

Clammer
11-01-2005, 02:08 PM
GEEZ / we use to dredge those in 3' to 7' of water /talk about F #$%^&* up the eelgrass // 6 dredges froma skiff by 7am we had our 10 bushel,s [HEAPED] plus bycatch /awesome Blue Crabs & a few Lobsters

1979 Fall /MEMORIES

vineyardblues
11-01-2005, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the pic Sandman :drool:

And Mike is that you :claps:

u stud vetteman

JHABS
11-01-2005, 02:41 PM
Mr.Sandman,You BassTurd. Trade for Plugs .

JohnR
11-01-2005, 02:44 PM
And Mike is that you :claps:

u stud vetteman

The one that looks like Gabe Kaplan :hihi:

Clammer
11-01-2005, 03:24 PM
Always Smilin :kewl:

MoroneSaxatilis
11-01-2005, 03:48 PM
Great job Jim. Were the scallops in fairly shallow water? I always thought you could only get them deep.
When Wareham and Marion had enough resource to support a commerical season in the early to mid-eighties, I used to get a kick out of the fact that I could be towing along in my boat, and some guy would go walking by me with a dip net! That sure doesn't happen in offshore commercial scalloping.

:biglaugh:

MoroneSaxatilis
11-01-2005, 03:54 PM
At a bushel an hour your opening at a pretty good clip.
I remember bay scallops being quite a bit harder than sea scallops to open, at least for someone who's never done it. Back when they were commercially viable all along SE Mass, I remember the men & women in the sh#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&g houses bangin' 'em out with a OUICKNESS. Offshore we open about 4 bushel in anywhere from 30 to 50 minutes depending on the size (count).

Those look like nice eyes :kewl:
Just think... the last thing the scallop sees before before he's dismantled and his life is over...

Mr. Sandman
11-01-2005, 04:58 PM
salt ponds and lagoons are having a great year. I just dip net (in waders) (waist deep) with the wife (simple pleasures with friends and family).. It is fun to poke around with a peeper and see them all.

I am not that serious about it anymore. (I use to be a comm digger on LI (GSBay) and did scalloping in the winter with a dredge. I just do it for good eats and the fun of being around the water now. (And I like to look at my wife in her waders...it is a bizzare turn-on for me. :laughs: )

I heard the comm guys pulled 600 bushel out of the lagoon last weekend

Scallops are a weird critter...beyond all those eyeballs looking at you, they only live about 1.5 years breed and die (unlike hardshell clams). If we don't take the adults after they have reproduced they will just die anyway and feed the greencrabs. May as well enjoy the harvest. The key to a good harvest is high water quality and eelgrass ponds. I think BeachWalkers Island has the primo environment for scallops, MV is a distant second. I know MV boosts the harvest and grows them in cages Nantucket is all natural harvest.

Squid kids Dad
11-01-2005, 05:52 PM
Sandman..When we were over there one of the guys we were staying with got some..They were awesome for sure... :drool:

ScottM
11-01-2005, 07:45 PM
Sandman..When we were over there one of the guys we were staying with got some..They were awesome for sure... :drool:

I'm pretty bummed that I missed Louie's scallops. :(

Squid kids Dad
11-01-2005, 08:19 PM
ScottM...They were soooooo good.... :humpty:

ScottM
11-02-2005, 08:36 PM
ScottM...They were soooooo good.... :humpty:

Tell me about it. One night a couple years ago, Louie sauteed some scallops and baked some sea bass, while Mark G cooked up some of the best calamari I've ever had. That was a feast to remeber. :D

Fish On
11-02-2005, 11:13 PM
My mouth is watering! Tell us how you prepared them. Fired, baked, casserole???

Mr. Sandman
11-03-2005, 07:08 AM
My mouth is watering! Tell us how you prepared them. Fired, baked, casserole???

http://new.wavlist.com/movies/002/fg-shrimp.wav

:hee:

Notaro
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
would i find the scallops around the upper cape and buzzards bay?

Vermonter
11-03-2005, 12:24 PM
Gotta love bay scallops. Plus with this weather we're having it would be downright balmy pulling an innertube thru Sengekontacket..... beats commercialing in 30 degree weather in Pogue anyday.

Fish On
11-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Nice!

Ante
11-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Mr. Sandman,

I have a Quick Question on How you got the Scallops was it using a Dragging net? I have a 20 Foot Whaler Outrage with a 13 Yamaha on it, was wondering if it was possible to pull a Scallop Net? :huh: Any help would be greatly appreciated, always wanted to do it!!!

Thanks,

Ante

MoroneSaxatilis
11-04-2005, 02:02 PM
I have a Quick Question on How you got the Scallops was it using a Dragging net? I have a 20 Foot Whaler Outrage with a 13 Yamaha on it, was wondering if it was possible to pull a Scallop Net? :huh: Any help would be greatly appreciated, always wanted to do it!!!

A scallop "net" as you put it, is actually a steel dredge with a "net" made out of steel rings attatched to it. To purchase a dredge all made up can be quite expensive. Very often more than one is required. You might be better off just buying bay scallops at the supermarket, although that is not nearly as much fun nor as satisfying as spending a day out on a bay running your boat and catching your own. Your boat should be able to tow at least one dredge. A major drawback of dredges is that they tend to destroy the fragile eelgrass in which the scallops live, and eelgrass is a very important part of that particular ecosystem. You might consider a dip net. Just like any other kind of fishing, there are things you have to know; where to fish, how much tow rope to use, how fast and how long to tow. Also, a licence is required for whatever municipality you plan to fish.
More info on dredges:
http://www.ribbrakes.com/scallop.htm

Ante
11-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Thanks for your info!! I know that they quite Costly to buy and maybe the the actual dredging isn't worth the scallops!! The damage to Eel Grass and the bottom surface is quite extravagent I have heard!! I was told my 130 Yamaha would be fine doing it, I just wonder if it is worth it!! Thanks again!! There realy is no other way to get them besides Diving, I assume!! Unless your Clamming spot is somehow filled up!!

Thanks again!

Ante