View Full Version : Captain Don's B & T

BasicPatrick
11-01-2005, 11:45 PM
Absolutely true story that I just have to share,

After coming hiome from the derby each year I fish a pattern of many weekends in south county RI and nightly jaunts here around Hull.

A few years ago I started frequenting Captain Con's in Charletown, RI. I know alot of people in the fishing community and usually have connections to someone. I met john who works in the shop just by going in to get stuff. I am not aregular by any means but go in the sho[ once or twice a weekend fgor about six weeks a year.

Last year we were all goo goo over Bernzy surf howdy's and Captain don's got an order of "big howdy's in over a weekend I was there. It was late at night and I asked John to throw two aside for me and I would pick them up on sunday....

Needless to say, the weather got snotty and after drying off Sunday Am I just left town....not to return for the rest of last Fall.

I had been down RI for two weekends but john was off or not working when I was in. so last weekend I was down again and walked in and there was John. After normal greetings and hjow ya been, John tells me he has something for me....

John comes out of the back room with a brown paper bag and tells me he has held this bag for a year with my name on it. Inside is the two "Big Howdy's". We both start laughing and he tells me that they have not had that size in a long time.

I do not know about you but this was quite and impressive thing to do for a customer that is only around for a part of the season and is not connected to the shop in any way. Even though I was pretty broke I bought the Yellow Pearl and let ReelExtacy buy the Purple over pearl.

I just am so impressed that I wanted to give a big THANK YOU to John and the shop as that is somehting not expected and I like to recognize outstanding service when I see it.

:claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps: :claps:

kippy
11-02-2005, 06:27 AM
Captain Don's is a first class shop. Last year I was doing a night trip to SoCo and called to see if I could pick up some eels around 7pm. He said they would be closed but he would put some eels around the side for me and just to leave the money in an envelope under the door. I had never been to the shop but this goes to show the great customer service they provide.

Thumbs up for Captain Don's! :btu: :claps:

stripercrazy
11-02-2005, 07:31 AM
cap't dons first class, and his wife bonnys too :claps:

Joe
11-02-2005, 08:04 AM
I used to always go to his shop all the time when it was at Dunn's Corners - it was a very well run shop - great selection, friendly. His shop is what all the shops who failed should have been.

Johnny C
11-02-2005, 08:20 AM
Don and John are great guys. I spend all my fishing dollars there.

reelecstasy
11-02-2005, 08:25 AM
I was pretty broke I bought the Yellow Pearl and let ReelEcstasy buy the Purple over pearl.
:humpty:

Bernzy
11-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Great story :claps: but it does not surprise me. The crew at Capt. Don's are the best.

Good luck with the plugs.

Bernzy

MakoMike
11-02-2005, 08:40 AM
John is a great guys and has been very helpful to me with my weekly reports. Its amazing to me that he remembers the names, etc. of all the customers that caught a memeorable fish all week long.

reelecstasy
11-02-2005, 08:40 AM
It's gettin wet this weekend....

Beautiful plug Bernzy :drool:

ThrowingTimber
11-02-2005, 08:44 AM
Those guys are top notch. And have excellent customer service skills. beyond that its like stopping in and visiting with a good friend for a bit here and there. And if you have a fish to weigh they dont give you the *&$^ probe to find out where and when... :buds:

BasicPatrick
11-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Reel EX

Is it time for a midnight run to the South

It's gettin wet this weekend....

Beautiful plug Bernzy :drool:

reelecstasy
11-02-2005, 08:47 AM
I know :devil:

got my face paint on......... :ss:

Springtides
11-02-2005, 09:01 AM
I was in Don's yesterday and he and I had a great discussion about the commercial fishery in general. A very wise and entertaining guy. The conversation could have gone on for hours. He also had exactly what I was looking for. Don is cool.

eelman
11-02-2005, 09:08 AM
I used to always go to his shop all the time when it was at Dunn's Corners - it was a very well run shop - great selection, friendly. His shop is what all the shops who failed should have been.

I loved the shop when it was there, In the early 90s he would be open around the clock in the fall and always had a pot of stew or chilli for the customers on those chilly fall nights. And of course the stories! Don had some good ones and was a master of telling them. I love that shop!!! Great people, always helpfull and they go out of there way for a customer regardless of whats spent!! Capt. Dons.......What all tackle atores should be! I have always considered a stop at his place mandatory before a night of fishing, especially in the fall.....A legend in westerly :claps: :claps: :claps:

Squibby17
11-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I 'm not sure about this "customer sevice" I prefer Walmart and Cabela's :yak6:

Just kidding, I think I may check out that shop when I'm down there this weekend, It seems well respected on this board.

JeffH
11-02-2005, 09:33 AM
I can still see one of the walls in the Dunns Corner store covered in Bob Hahn plugs with prices of $8-12. I would stop there every trip and buy at least one plug. I wish I had bought more...............

reelecstasy
11-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Awesome stew that's for sure.... all sorts of animals in it :drool:

eelskimmer
11-02-2005, 01:27 PM
Yeah, all kinds of animals in Capt. Don's stew. Last weekend it included
moose, or so Don said. No one has mentioned the great music Don plays
in background. Most of it big band and torch singers from the 40s and 50s.
For those of you who are too young the music from then has't yet been
matched. Great shop, great stew, and great music.

reelecstasy
11-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Yeah, all kinds of animals in Capt. Don's stew. Last weekend it included
moose, or so Don said. pheasant too, it was great around 1 in the morning, great guy to stay open all night.. purposely went in and drop a little $$. You gotta support the good guys out there.