View Full Version : Rhody Fall Run

kippy
11-06-2005, 07:40 AM
What's the consensus on the fall run in Rhody so far? I hit 4 spots on Friday for a schoolie. Talked to other guys that said it has been slow. How is everyone else doing?

basswipe
11-06-2005, 10:58 AM
Numbers this fall have been good.Not much in the way of large for me anyways.
Halloween night was by far my best fall fishing so far for quantity.

Went this morning and got 3 right around "keeper" size with the largest being around 32" though it was missing the bottom portion of its tailfin.

fish4striper
11-06-2005, 02:35 PM
I can't find much....

lower bay to soc friday...couple small

cruised all over Newport Sat, 1 dink

today saw no stripes but got a bunch of tautog

jimmyCT
11-06-2005, 02:44 PM
getting some but alot slower

stripercrazy
11-06-2005, 09:42 PM
doing better with bait. fish are around but not hitting plugs that great. why who knows

Clammer
11-06-2005, 11:38 PM
sucks /getting worse every year //quickly :nailem:

Back Beach
11-07-2005, 08:50 AM
Last good bunch of bass in the 20# class was on 10/30 in soco for me. This weekend was gorilla blues, micro bass and tog. Fat lady coming soon, I think...

The Iceman 6
11-07-2005, 09:35 AM
Fished SoCo November 3 - 6. Fished it hard, fished the breachways, took the looong walk, the lighthouse, certain beaches, fished eeels, swimmers, poppers, jigs, storms, got so desperate even fished chunk bait for 6 hours. Very small schoolies (like 8 inches), some some blues, biggest being around 8lbs. Fierce winds at night, beautiful weather though and good times with friends. On a scale from 1 - 10 (highest), I rate this trip a 1. Ohh well, great watching those sunrises and sunsets, on Saturday actually saw people swimming. Because I'm not smart, I'll hit RI again in 2 weeks for the hell of it then prob. hang them up....

Ice

RIJIMMY
11-07-2005, 09:45 AM
I've seen some decent fish caught the last few weeks, not by me, but the fish are there. Just few and far between

ThrowingTimber
11-07-2005, 10:01 AM
take up golf. :angel:

piemma
11-07-2005, 11:10 AM
Worst fall run in 15 years.

Rob Rockcrawler
11-07-2005, 12:55 PM
This has by far been the worst fall i have fished. Not so much as a sniff this weekend. And didnt see any bait either. Im sure i was in the wrong place but this time last year i was hooking up really well. Next day off im in the woods.

JFigliuolo
11-07-2005, 01:04 PM
it's been real slow for me.

Squibby17
11-07-2005, 01:21 PM
Sat-night I hit four spots on the upper cape. No hits, No Bumps no-nothing

JoeP
11-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Im sure i was in the wrong place but this time last year i was hooking up really well.

I don't think you were in the wrong place, there just really have not been consistent amounts of fish anywhere to be caught in the "usual places". Sure at any given time there are fish somewhere & someone will catch some & we'll hear someone say the fishing is good - but in a general sense this Fall has lacked the consistency & amounts of fish pushing through as past years - at least that's been my experience this fall and is what I've heard from lots of knowledgeable guys.

I still think a combination of the warm September & the giant storm we called October, 2005 kept the bait and the bass offshore as they headed south.

chris L
11-07-2005, 01:40 PM
I fished multiple places in south county and a couple in Ct . 1 small hit is all I could muster . Im not done yet still a month left on the calender .

Mr. Sandman
11-07-2005, 02:17 PM
I don't care what the "scientists say" there may be (according to them) 14X as many SB around now then in 1982 but all I know is that I caught a load of bass back then, it was outragous, both in quanity and quality, nothing has compared to that since then. (I released most back then as well) Until that kind of fishing returns, in my view there has been no recovery. Looking at the results from your BI weekend are so sad. When there were 14X fewer fish around, you could catch several 30s' before dark on a regular basis. Fishing after dark yielded some monsters and just not one or two fish either. And it was not just BI and montauk, it was MV, Nantucket, and the cape had these fish.

IMO the counting method is so stone-age it is not known how many fish are actualy killed. But regardless who is killing what, both comm and bycatch kills should be the first thing to stop. The rec kill can be controlled too thru limits but lets stop all comm and bycatch killing and see where that gets us. These make no contribution to the fishery or economy.

I don't belong to sf but support the gamefish status bigtime. I think that you guys that don't support it are paranoid that it will lead to some Nazi like fishing contols and prevent you from wetting a line. I doubt this as SB is the most economically important fish on the east coast.

I think that you guys that support comm bass fishing then complain that the fall run sucks need to re-think your position a bit more. If I take a million # of fish from your hood in August...will it hurt the Sept/Oct run...ans: YES indeed.

RIROCKHOUND
11-07-2005, 02:44 PM
Jim;
Regardless, and I do think the stripers, at least large ones aren't around like they used to be. I think the stock may be 'healthy' but the dynamics of the population have changed dramatically (more small fish)

As far as the run goes this year it sucks the big one...
I dont keep detailed logs, but ~25 nights in Oct, had one decent night, and several OK nights with small keeper sized fish... not what it should be...
So far Nov isn't any better....

JoeP
11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I don't care what the "scientists say" there may be (according to them) 14X as many SB around now then in 1982 but all I know is that I caught a load of bass back then, it was outragous, both in quanity and quality, nothing has compared to that since then. (I released most back then as well) Until that kind of fishing returns, in my view there has been no recovery. Looking at the results from your BI weekend are so sad. When there were 14X fewer fish around, you could catch several 30s' before dark on a regular basis. Fishing after dark yielded some monsters and just not one or two fish either. And it was not just BI and montauk, it was MV, Nantucket, and the cape had these fish.

IMO the counting method is so stone-age it is not known how many fish are actualy killed. But regardless who is killing what, both comm and bycatch kills should be the first thing to stop. The rec kill can be controlled too thru limits but lets stop all comm and bycatch killing and see where that gets us. These make no contribution to the fishery or economy.

I don't belong to sf but support the gamefish status bigtime. I think that you guys that don't support it are paranoid that it will lead to some Nazi like fishing contols and prevent you from wetting a line. I doubt this as SB is the most economically important fish on the east coast.

I think that you guys that support comm bass fishing then complain that the fall run sucks need to re-think your position a bit more. If I take a million # of fish from your hood in August...will it hurt the Sept/Oct run...ans: YES indeed.

:kewl: Fully agree.

Bill L
11-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Worst fall run in 15 years.

That pretty much sums it up

eelman
11-07-2005, 08:19 PM
its overrrrrrrrrrrr, I hear from a good source that there is a decent daytime bite in westerly but its all school bass and shuts down at dark. I am finished either way...totally burnt out. Paul is right it is the worst fall run in years. A few people hit some fish in isolated pockets but thats it. I say who cares, overall the season was tremendous, it was the best spring I have ever had.

Bill L
11-07-2005, 08:28 PM
it aint over until I say its over!

tlapinski
11-07-2005, 09:35 PM
its overrrrrrrrrrrr
I don't know. I remember what happened a few years back when you made that call and things opened right up in a centrally located SoCo spot... :hidin:

Nebe
11-07-2005, 09:50 PM
I have a hunch #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s wife is telling him its over. :lasso:

There will be bass in RI until its too cold to fish, and then they will still be here

tattoobob
11-07-2005, 09:58 PM
With the water temp at 58* it isn't over yet and I will not stop till
at least the weekend after Thanksgiving. I am headed back to Block
Island this weekend John from Twin Maples told me @ the ferry on the
way home, That there were fish around and where to find them.

fishaholic18
11-07-2005, 10:38 PM
I have a hunch #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&'s wife is telling him its over. :lasso:

:humpty: I agree.

It's far from over. :hee:

Clammer
11-07-2005, 11:43 PM
I agree with sandman 1000 % the 80,s compared to now // no F $%^&* doubt about it /// & now we have more & better equipment : fishing ,boat ,& electronic // if this was available back then / there would have been many 1000 # days //even for the ya-hoo,s :usd:

eelman
11-08-2005, 06:03 AM

Nope, I am going back to the Island friday night......

What are you guys saying? that the migration hasnt got here yet??? When is it going to happen, in december??

eelman
11-08-2005, 06:08 AM
I don't know. I remember what happened a few years back when you made that call and things opened right up in a centrally located SoCo spot... :hidin:

I always make that call when things are very slow :bl: You have another 2 months easy , migration hasnt even started yet!!!
Its funny, because my wife loves when I am not home!!!!

For me it just gets to be burnout, and when you have a great season there is no need to be desperate and catch the last one that swims!

The season is acually never over, you can catch bass year round now, especially in nebe's favorite spot :rotfl:

eelman
11-08-2005, 06:21 AM

Its far from over?? Were you fishing 15 years ago? remember those fall runs? well if you were you would know what I am saying. Fishing was extremely consistant for big bass right until december, not this 25lb fish here and there stuff, The Island had cows in december, those are the falls I remember and if you compare them with the last few they dont come close, I would like tyo know everyones opinion on where the bass are now, its november 8th-they have not moved yet? Thats good news, when do you estimate the migration hitting south county?? The bass that are there now and being caught are fish that have been there all summer and are now coming in from the depths to feed.

If its far from over, I would just like to know why you think that and where the bass are in your opinion that are coming in soon........

Boat guys are killing the fish in 60 foot of water off the south side of block, I call that bad news, they are streaming by. The ponds have winterover over fish but when will the migration start please fill me in, I dont want to miss it.

I will say this, its closer to over than being far from it :rotfl:

kippy
11-08-2005, 06:23 AM
From your post Bill, I have some confidence for this weekend. Just have to keep my :eyes: open for birds and bait!

eelman
11-08-2005, 06:36 AM
Acually I am going tonight :jump:

I had my night off :beat:

Pete_G
11-08-2005, 08:16 AM
I'm concerned it's mostly over, it's just so quiet everywhere to the North, at least by what I hear thru the grapevine in the shop.

Then again, one of the bigger fish I saw landed last year in November was caught the day before Turkey Day some where in SoCo.

But that was last year, and this is this year. Where's the bait? Maybe the herring haven't arrived yet.

JoeP
11-08-2005, 08:19 AM
Boat guys are killing the fish in 60 foot of water off the south side of block, I call that bad news, they are streaming by.

I will say this, its closer to over than being far from it :rotfl:

I think this is what is happening --- the Fall Run is running by in deeper water because that is where the bait is...

Clammer
11-08-2005, 08:36 AM
I think this is what is happening --- the Fall Run is running by in deeper water because that is where the bait is...

yup

ThrowingTimber
11-08-2005, 08:55 AM
When the water hits 35 degrees its over :wave: Its a long way from over. The water hasnt even hit cow temperature yet :rotfl: But all you anxious folks go ahead and pack it in, go by water temps, not by months fish cant read calendars :whackin:

fishaholic18
11-08-2005, 09:01 AM
But all you anxious folks go ahead and pack it in, go by water temps, not by months fish cant read calendars :whackin:

Yup, your correct Vic. Still gettin nice bass.
All you rookies..Pack it in!!! :usd: :scream: :rotfl:

Nebe
11-08-2005, 09:09 AM
:rotfl: But all you anxious folks go ahead and pack it in, go by water temps, not by months fish cant read calendars :whackin:

no, but they can tell by the angle of the sun that winter is aproaching.

Heres my synapsis of the 'fall run' There is no Fall Run. there is a migration going on, but there is so little bait around that the bass dont bunch up on the bait. They arent schooling on top, there are no birds working... its absolutely dead here in RI...

Its not over, its just not here. Its out there.

i havnet even seen any gannetts yet.

RIJIMMY
11-08-2005, 09:25 AM
I agree Nebe.

:jump:

eelman
11-08-2005, 09:28 AM
no, but they can tell by the angle of the sun that winter is aproaching.

Heres my synapsis of the 'fall run' There is no Fall Run. there is a migration going on, but there is so little bait around that the bass dont bunch up on the bait. They arent schooling on top, there are no birds working... its absolutely dead here in RI...

Its not over, its just not here. Its out there.

i havnet even seen any gannetts yet.

Very good eben, You hit the nail on the head..its out there

Rappin Mikey
11-08-2005, 09:34 AM
They went East this year instead

Clogston29
11-08-2005, 09:47 AM
Judging by the few skinny fish I caught over the weekend and what I saw, there is definately very little in the way of baitfish near shore (I did not see one bird dive or even look interested in what was going on in the water - with the exception of a few who showed interest in my danny or surf howdy - the whole time I was on the block). This, as stated before, keeps the majority of the fish away from shore. The fish that I caught were both right in the shallow rocks and, I'm assuming, grubbing around for whatever could be found. The one I kept had a lobster and two small cusk in its stomach - not pogies, sandeels, macks, etc. that I would hope to see this time of year.

Up on the north shore of MA, we had alot of baitfish near shore this fall, pogies and macks, and subsequently alot of bass. I did not get to take full advantage because of a death in the family and getting married this fall but when I was out there were lots of fish around, especially in september.

Rockport24
11-08-2005, 09:55 AM
Agreed Clogston, there were are lot of fish around on the North Shore, although a lot of guys complained that they thought September was better than October. I got married in September, so I missed most of it, but I did manage some fish in late august and saw multiple keepers landed in early October. So maybe those fish just dissapeared off shore this year? Maybe that northeast blow we got just screwed it all up.

rwilhelm
11-08-2005, 10:02 AM
This past Sunday I hit 3 spots for one schoolie. I am not throwing in the towel yet I will probably fish till Turkey Day.

keeperreaper
11-08-2005, 10:07 AM
the fish are going to be found where the bait is. Right now the bait is offshore and there is a lot of it at that. This fall has been slower than past seasons but the season overall had a great quantity of good fish that were caught. The fish will be in SoCo until the water gets too cold 50 the low end.

ThrowingTimber
11-08-2005, 10:17 AM
:faga: 27 ' Hydrasport :hee:

piemma
11-08-2005, 10:29 AM
Look, we are not saying that there are not fish around. Of Course there are fish around. Nebe knows where to find 15 lb fish in January. I am saying the following.

1. The 14 or 15 days of NE wind and rain pushed the main migration off shore.
2. The bait was also pushed off shore.

3. The fish that are being caught now, for the most part, are not migratory fish but fish that are resident.

4. IMO, there will not be a big push of BIG fish this year. It already happended about 3 weeks ago when some of the guys were at Cutty and got into a lot of mid to high 30# fish.

5. There will be pulses of small fish with an occasional good fish among them.

6. These fish will continue until the water temp gets to 49 degrees at which point you will be catching holdovers.

No rocket science just 30 odd years of Fall runs. Seen it before and I will see it again.

Pete_G
11-08-2005, 10:50 AM
When the water hits 35 degrees its over :wave: Its a long way from over. The water hasnt even hit cow temperature yet :rotfl: But all you anxious folks go ahead and pack it in, go by water temps, not by months fish cant read calendars :whackin:

I've changed my thinking over the years, somewhat. Something to eat IMO is BY FAR the single most important motivation to a fish of almost any species. I've really let go of water temps and the calander. The X-mas Eve blitz a few years back in town here was not resident fish, it was bass in cold water that had something to eat.

Looking South from Newport this morning there are no birds anywhere, whether they are working bait or just hanging out waiting. That to me is a bad sign. The most important thing to a bird is food. If there are fish coming my way there is no indication that there will be anything to eat when they arrive.

JFigliuolo
11-08-2005, 11:06 AM

The bait was also pushed off shore.

This jives real well with what I've seen before, during, and after the big Nor'easter. I also agree, that this time of year, the migrating bass are keyed in on bait. No bait=No fish sticking around.

*LB
11-08-2005, 11:20 AM
The Fall run is over? When did it start? A few decent fish moved into SoCo during the last week of September and the first week of October - chasing big schools of mullet. That stretch of rain and storms blew out all the bait and fishing has been extremely spotty since then. I don't think all this N/NW we've seen over the past few weeks has helped either. Fish over 20lbs are around, but there aren't a lot of them and the window of opportunity is quick. Even the bluefish numbers are way down. No bait = no bass. If the fishing on Block sucks that spells trouble for SoCo. :hs:

fishaholic18
11-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Look, we are not saying that there are not fish around. Of Course there are fish around. Nebe knows where to find 15 lb fish in January. I am saying the following.

1. The 14 or 15 days of NE wind and rain pushed the main migration off shore.
2. The bait was also pushed off shore.

3. The fish that are being caught now, for the most part, are not migratory fish but fish that are resident.

4. IMO, there will not be a big push of BIG fish this year. It already happended about 3 weeks ago when some of the guys were at Cutty and got into a lot of mid to high 30# fish.

5. There will be pulses of small fish with an occasional good fish among them.

6. These fish will continue until the water temp gets to 49 degrees at which point you will be catching holdovers.

No rocket science just 30 odd years of Fall runs. Seen it before and I will see it again.

Yup, UHHU, Keep thinking that.... :bl:

ThrowingTimber
11-08-2005, 12:02 PM
Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain :wave: :jump: :rotfl: :devil:

eelman
11-08-2005, 12:04 PM

Dave and I dont mean to be critical, you guys bang a few fish over on the east bay and think that it is the end of the world, huge migration, yippie...that is nothing compared to what used to happen. The main push of fish has left, one pocket of fish does not a fall migration make, most likely the fish you are catching are also fish that summered offshore and are poking around looking for food, heck there is loads of fish in barrington right now!! Its no secret, there is more of a holdover population than people think, when they think they hit the migrating bass what they really hit are fish that are winter overs heading up the westport, seekonk, barrington, providence etc... I think most here should have witnessed a real fall that last happend in the early 90s.. You cant judge a migration with tunnel vision, just because there are a few on the east side .

The run is all but over, its chasing dreams and yesterdays news, paul is right the reality is that even if there are fish it wont last but maybe another week tops.

Beside many stories everyone hears about these huge fish runs are in fact blown way out of proportion and embelished to the tenth degree, the reality is most of the fish are schoolies with an occasional decent fish in the mix.

Can it happen? sure someone will be at a breachway and luck into a few fish and say here they are? that will last for the moment only. To do that you need to spend eveywaking moment at the spot and hope to luck into a few.

It used be that the fall fishing was very consitant, you would have fish and count on fish being there nightly....not anymore....I think most of this post however is stirring the pot and being a sharpie dave you know its nearing a fast end :bl:

eelman
11-08-2005, 12:16 PM
Ask johnR What consitancy is, he will tell you about at least two solid weeks of very large fish in a certain spot from the last week of october thru the full first week of november and that was as recent as 1997-98! There was also a beach spot that had consitant cows all of october into mid november ( CB) John to refresh your memory, You could count on a large there every single night for years..........Those were some good fall runs, in fact 98 was the last of that from what I have heard......

Then Charlestown, the breach had cows after that...It was awesome.....

RIJIMMY
11-08-2005, 12:29 PM
Soooooooooooo Kippy, I guess the answer is No, it has not been a good fall run.

The Iceman 6
11-08-2005, 01:11 PM
I was with John R on a breachway around Thanksgiving, John landed a nice fishy. Like I said previously, I'll head out one or two more times up to end of November. One thing I do know is "you gotta be in it to win it"

Ice

kippy
11-08-2005, 01:34 PM
Soooooooooooo Kippy, I guess the answer is No, it has not been a good fall run.

Wow, I didn't realize the thread was going to blow up like this. I guess you're right.

choggieman
11-08-2005, 01:49 PM
This has been a very odd year for me. I fish the boat and the surf and in neither fashion am I seeing bait like I hope to. Fishing is spotty at best and the only concentration of fish I found were on mullett back in september. I never saw the massive schools of blues I usually see in narragansett bay, nor anywhere else. I am buying into the theory that lots of bait has been pushed off shore and the fish are following, or so I keep telling myself.
I fished in the boat Saturday and we never marked a bit of bait in an area that always has fish and bait. Two trips on 2 consecutive weekends to this spot have come up empty handed, which is outrageous considering the history of this area over my fishing career. Frustrating to say the least. But this seems to be a trend, as the falls are seemingly worse and worse the last few years. No consistency at all in the fishing from the boat or beach.
In the summer I spent some time in back bays and saw incredible amounts of mullet and peanut bunker, numbers like I have never seen. The mullet came through, but where are the peanuts? They are not in those bays, thats for sure. I am guessing that they dumped just in time to get washed out with all that wind and all those storms.
I have had more skunks in the surf this year than I ever have so I am hoping it is due to the lack of bait where I fish, and not my ineptitude. I can relate to that theory that there are less fish, but is that due to less bait? As a kid I remeber huge shoals of adult bunker every fall, so many we took it for granted they'd be there. Now the word of a few menhaden is very few and far between.
Nothing is like it used to be, but with all the conservation and research shouldn't things be getting better not worse? I think some of the methods used and ideas in place that are behind the research that tell us the condition of a fishery are beyond archaic.
If this is a trend that many of us are noticing, aren't we the people who should bring it to light that something is wrong? All around us fisheries are collapsing, cod, herring, eels etc...are stripers on their way out too?

piemma
11-08-2005, 02:00 PM
i don't need to keep thinking anything. I know what I know and as I said you may run into a big fish or 2 but if you think there is going to be a huge run of 30s and 40s, you are delusional. :confused:

fishaholic18
11-08-2005, 02:37 PM
its chasing dreams
Yup, and YOU, like ME will continue chasing dreams till our hands fall off. :bl:
I told you, it's in our blood unfortunately, so lets keep doing what we do and have fun doing it and maybe we'll get lucky... :eek5:

fishaholic18
11-08-2005, 02:39 PM
you are delusional. :confused:

Hey, that's what my wife says!
How'd you know that? :eek5: :confused:

Squibby17
11-08-2005, 02:52 PM
I'm only 24 so I barely had my drivers licence when the last "big run happened"

In my experience this "fall run" you guys speak of I have yet to see. THe past five years I have caught more fish in May and June than September and October. Although I generally get larger fish in the Fall.

The few times I did get offshore this year I saw a tremendous amount of bait. The Tuna we caught had hundreds upon hundreds of Sand Eels in their stomach. And the best Blue Fishing I have seen in years was 35 miles off shore, with every blue approaching 15 lbs (its too bad we weren't targeting them)

I guess I'm confused?

Canalman
11-08-2005, 03:37 PM
This is the same argument you guys have every year. I can set my clock by this stuff :laughs:... just so you know... you guys will be arguing about the arrival of herring Feb 22nd and the arrival of the Bass march 19th. We all know what's going to happen and it's going to be the same as every year.

Yes some people will catch some nice fish between now and 12/1. Yes we will all be out there hoping that the run has been held up, but it hasn't. on 10/31 there was a big pod of big fish working the elizabeths and the southeast shore of mass, I know of 6 fish caught that night ranging from 27 up to 40 pounds. Those are the fish you guys are talking about and I was all set to be begin chasing them. Then came this, I think it blew the pod of fish apart and now they are likely roaming the rim of the ledges making their way south and that's why the boat guys are taking fish right now. We just might see a curtain call In Newport or Narragansett or SoCo. I am not by any means an expert on the fall run, when #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and Piemma and all you other guys were slaying fish in the 80's I was making macaroni necklaces in grade school but I do fish hard and I do pay attention and I can recognize patterns. High winds can ruin the fall run and this year has seen nothing but. Boy I hope I'm wrong about this but....

anyway... I'll be out there at 4:00am tomorrow praying. :eyes:

eelman
11-08-2005, 03:56 PM
This is the same argument you guys have every year. I can set my clock by this stuff :laughs:... just so you know... you guys will be arguing about the arrival of herring Feb 22nd and the arrival of the Bass march 19th. We all know what's going to happen and it's going to be the same as every year.

Yes some people will catch some nice fish between now and 12/1. Yes we will all be out there hoping that the run has been held up, but it hasn't. on 10/31 there was a big pod of big fish working the elizabeths and the southeast shore of mass, I know of 6 fish caught that night ranging from 27 up to 40 pounds. Those are the fish you guys are talking about and I was all set to be begin chasing them. Then came this, I think it blew the pod of fish apart and now they are likely roaming the rim of the ledges making their way south and that's why the boat guys are taking fish right now. We just might see a curtain call In Newport or Narragansett or SoCo. I am not by any means an expert on the fall run, when #^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& and Piemma and all you other guys were slaying fish in the 80's I was making macaroni necklaces in grade school but I do fish hard and I do pay attention and I can recognize patterns. High winds can ruin the fall run and this year has seen nothing but. Boy I hope I'm wrong about this but....

The boat guys that are still out there are slaying them of blocks southwest side in 60ft of water. The winds killed us and the line storms...... I can say this with certainty..the fish will be back in may :jump:

Rockport24
11-08-2005, 04:08 PM
So who wants to give me a ride on their boat? :jump:

bloocrab
11-08-2005, 04:28 PM
I didn't fish much this season at all...so I won't give my opinion on this seasons' take....

However :usd: ...

Someone stated "food" being an important factor.....

I agree, but not in the way it was posted on this thread.
I've been fishing for a LONG time....what DON'T I see now that I remember seeing eons ago?....UNBELIEVABLE amounts of bait. Pogies were EVERYWHERE!!....Squid were so far up the bay, the bridge didn't need lights. Does that still happen?...Why did their pattern change? Are they still as abundant? Will it ever be like it was....
NEVER!!...get that into your thick skulls.
We all have our own opinions on why things changed. Let's look at some of the variables.
Weather = We always had it and always will
Water Quality = It's been better, but also been worse
Baitfish = (I'm no bait-erologist, but we definately don't have as much as we used to)
Over-Fishing = Forgive me, but the commercial fisheries take a heavy hit on this one. They're technology is slightly better. The demand is always increasing. They will never be regulated enough to turn things around...only slow things down.
The ecology has changed...learn to deal with it.

Human GREED has impacted the oceans. You have to settle for whatever the particular season brings you for whatever reason. You want to catch more fish, FISH MORE!!...You want to catch BIGGER fish, ..say BIGGER prayers :spin:
You want to see a BIG rebound with some recreational bag limits?? YOUR NUTZ!
If EVERYONE <recs/comms> stopped fishing, it would still take numerous years for fish to return to their HEALTHY stocks.

Is the Fall Run over?...if you stopped fishing, yes...it is.
If you don't want to spend the time to find out for yourself and your just waiting for someone to tell you.....yes, it's over.

....what was the question again?....sorry :topic:

Pete_G
11-08-2005, 04:29 PM
Something to think about:

A few new reports have come in.

A good number of 25 to 50# fish caught over the past 2 days in 40+ feet of water within a mile of the mainland in RI in several spots. Way more then just a few random fish. Imagine if we had bait close to shore.

Regardless, I know where I'll be the next few days and it's not on a boat.

tattoobob
11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
The "Fall Run" is a myth made up by tackle shops and magazines
to sell sell sell

piemma
11-08-2005, 04:36 PM
You are right. That's what makes us surf fishermen. It's in our blood. There is no tougher thing to do in November or for that matter in July. You climb the rocks. You loose sleep. You freeze till your hands are numb and you are wet most of the time. And for what? A big fish with 7 stripes on her
God I love it so.

piemma
11-08-2005, 04:38 PM
Interesting. We got the same report while on the island except we heard 55 feet of water.

Something to think about:

A few new reports have come in.

A good number of 25 to 50# fish caught over the past 2 days in 40+ feet of water within a mile of the mainland in RI in several spots. Way more then just a few random fish. Imagine if we had bait close to shore.

Regardless, I know where I'll be the next few days and it's not on a boat.

Pete_G
11-08-2005, 04:43 PM
The "Fall Run" is a myth made up by tackle shops and magazines
to sell sell sell

Heh, you should have heard the disappointment in the voices of the people I talked to this morning (before I heard the big fish report, although the locations are not going to be disclosed).

You want 12" bass and some blues? Come on down!

bloocrab
11-08-2005, 04:52 PM
Imagine if we had bait close to shore

I've been imagining ALL season...that was about all I could do...

Look for a mackerel pattern to work in November...silver-side patterns should also produce/blackChrOme. .., ...dunkn' chunkn' is also killA at the end of the season, aLwWays bring 2R oddS...hit the skinnies in the weewee hours....and most importantly, ask the "Sharpies" on this site where to go. They always know where the fish were.... :hf1:

...back to the 60 grit

Nebe
11-08-2005, 05:08 PM
IMO, we never even had a fall run. just small pulses of fish. sad huh.

piemma
11-08-2005, 05:16 PM
Great summary of what we all are saying. The g d wind killed this Fall run. I remember it happening in 91 or 92 when "they went by on the outside".
As Canalman said "you guys will be arguing about the arrival of herring Feb 22nd and the arrival of the Bass march 19th." They will be back. In 90 days we will be counting the days till the first school fish.
I gotta tell ya, Bryan and I are up around 120 to 130 nights for this season and I am tired. My gear is tired. My truck is tired. My Korkers have had every stud replaced 5 times. I have gone thru 2 bags of 60 studs so far. 7000 yards of line and probably 500 eels and lost 100+ plugs. Almost time to head for the "bat cave" and spin a bunch of AYC.

tattoobob
11-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Heh, you should have heard the disappointment in the voices of the people I talked to this morning (before I heard the big fish report, although the locations are not going to be disclosed).

You want 12" bass and some blues? Come on down!

I am sure you knew I was just kidding,
:jump:

fishaholic18
11-08-2005, 09:07 PM
in the 80's I was making macaroni necklaces in grade school
And he still can make a mean one... :bl: