View Full Version : Refinish or retire?

steelhead
11-06-2005, 10:50 AM
A buddy of mine gave this spook back to me asking that I refinish it for him. This was a days worth of big Blues on Friday in Rhode Island. I'm thinking of retiring it and just making him a new one.

capesams
11-06-2005, 11:09 AM
it would take to long to renew....make new....improve.

riverrat2
11-06-2005, 11:34 AM
Give it back to him and tell him to keep fishing it. :humpty:

Charleston
11-06-2005, 12:36 PM
Tell him that you charge twice the price to renew!

steelhead
11-06-2005, 01:09 PM
That would mean I'd have to give him two free plugs!

I think I'll just give him a new one (or two). Maybe a bit more tail weight this time for heavier water. He said he could fish this one a number of different ways. Glide and slide, walk the dog, like a popper, yank it subsurface like a jerk bait or just a slow v wake.

Jigman
11-07-2005, 10:37 AM
Seems to me that if the plug worked so well (i.e., it could be worked in many different ways), you would want to do more just like it. As for refinishing or retiring the plug, I would hand it back to your friend and tell him to give it back once he has finished trashing it. Still plenty of wood left on that one and most of the paint is still there. Sounds like it worked well too :cool:

Jigman

winchmaster
11-07-2005, 03:03 PM
Me I'd repaint,
Heck painting is the funnest part of building plugs isn't it?? Okay catching fish on them is better but I mean in the construction end.
Getting the air brush in hand always gets me pumped and iff'n you get to repaint it again why not. Then again I started out refinishing plugs a long time ago way before I even thought of building them. I am always fond of giving the lady a new life with some new clothes. I have pikies I have fished for 30 years just repaint after a couple of years and she's ready to swim.