View Full Version : New to board and Striper Fishing

Jamie K
11-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Hello folks,

Just thought I would say hi. I hope to learn more about striper fishing from the board. Our company held a tournament this past weekend and I have caught the surf casting bug. Something about watching the sunrise up to my waist in the Atlantic is very relaxing for me.

I did not have any luck in the tourney, it seems water temps haven't gotten cold enough for the bass to get to South Jersey yet. Out of 30+ fisherman only 3 fish were cought, the largest being 17lbs.

I am heading up to Mass. for thanksgiving at the in-laws and I wanted to get a clue as where I might be able to surf cast with some results. I will be in Boston area mostly but I do plan to take a trip up to the North Shore, mother in law just got a place in gloucester (spelling?) on east drive...right on the harbor.

Anyway. Thanks for having me on the board. All tips appreciated.

The Iceman 6
11-07-2005, 11:07 AM
Welcome to the board Jamie. Hit or miss this time of year but when ya hit.......

:drool:

Rappin Mikey
11-07-2005, 11:13 AM
Welcome aboard. There is a wealth of info on this board. Thanksgiving is a little late for MA. You'd have better luck in CT or RI.

Jamie K
11-07-2005, 11:36 AM
Thanks for welcome and info.

I'll look into RI, plenty of beaches there :)

Clammer
11-07-2005, 11:50 AM
Welcome /Better late than never // ya making it pretty close on your timing /But then again /ya can holdover fish >><><>< :wiggle:

Fish On
11-07-2005, 11:54 AM
Welcome to the board! Tight lines!

5/0
11-07-2005, 11:58 AM
Welcome to da board,I dunno about fish being around in Gloucester that late in the year,IMO R.I.might be your best shot.
BTW best of luck w/ you're new found addiction :wiggle:

5/0

Squibby17
11-07-2005, 01:48 PM
welcome aboard

Yes Too late this time of year just like the guys said

Saltheart
11-07-2005, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the board.

MoroneSaxatilis
11-07-2005, 02:45 PM
Welcome and good fishing to ya there, JK. Funny thing, though. I was thinking about a trip down YOUR way!

:wall: :laughs: :drool:

striprman
11-07-2005, 03:19 PM
Hi,
Not to discourage you or anything, but by the time Thanksgiving rolls around, the bass have pretty much gone south for the winter from Glouster/Cape Anne.
Try taking a head boat (Yankee fleet) for cod and haddock, that can be fun.

reelecstasy
11-07-2005, 03:31 PM
Welcome aboard...... not too many fish up this way right now.. Can always pluck 1 or 2 here and there but it is slow pickens right now...

Bernzy
11-07-2005, 04:22 PM
:wavey:
Welcome!!

Bernzy

Jamie K
11-08-2005, 12:24 AM
Sounds like I should just plan another trip to Jersey before I go up north.

That way I can focus on eating and drinking while on vacation. heh

Might do a little scoping for spots while up north for next spring maybe?

lurch
11-08-2005, 02:25 AM
Sounds like I should just plan another trip to Jersey before I go up north.

That way I can focus on eating and drinking while on vacation. heh

Might do a little scoping for spots while up north for next spring maybe?

Now that is the plan of attack I would take!!

Welcome to the insanity of striped bass fishing and the site!

eelskimmer
11-08-2005, 01:56 PM
Welcome and buy yourself a hard hat. To do what is needed to catch
SB you have to be soft in the head.

Agree with Lurch on your plan B.

If company tourney then you got it made getting sick slips from boss when
the fever hits.

Slipknot
11-08-2005, 02:12 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction.

Slingah
11-08-2005, 09:41 PM
Welcome to the site and the addiction.
what slip said :wave:

Jamie K
11-09-2005, 12:56 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

Looks like a bunch of guys from work are heading to Brigantine, nj this saturday, they are veterans so hope to learn a thing or two.

Let you know what happens.

dickmont
11-11-2005, 02:59 PM
welcome, there's a great knowledge base here. you should alert your banker that there'll be continuous withdrawls from your accounts. it takes at least a year before you can stop by a b&t without compulsively needing to spend $100-$200 on very necessary items or maybe necessary or maybe just in case items that you might could use........when you have 3 or 4 color varients of every plug known to man or jhabs and have started to seriously look at lathes so you can make your own and you need help putting on your plug bag because it's hard to lift up, you'll know you've really got the surfcasting bug. enjoy!!!!!! :jump:

fishingdadsi
11-11-2005, 08:59 PM
just wanted to say hello all, i,m a new member hope to pick up some new tips ,thanks all