View Full Version : Veterans Day.

basswipe
11-08-2005, 05:10 PM
Just a reminder that this Friday is Vets day.Take the day off or don't just remember SOMEONE once died so that you can have what you now have.Never
forget.

USAF 86-90.

PS.Moderators please don't let this thread degenerate into some stupid political crap.
Thanks.

piemma
11-08-2005, 05:20 PM
AMEN!!!

USAF
66-72

chris L
11-08-2005, 05:26 PM
thanks to all that gave their lives so me and my family could live like Americans should .
4th Bn 69th Armor (speed and power)

Raider Ronnie
11-08-2005, 05:36 PM
Thanks guys!
I never served,
But have lots of relatives that have served going back as far as ww2,
a few uncles that even died in world war 2 and in vietnam
I have a nephew who is in the Marines and has been over in Iraq for close to 2 years!

Tburg
11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
YES
Thank you to ALL the Vets...

riverrat2
11-08-2005, 05:41 PM
:thanks: :claps: :claps:

basswipe
11-08-2005, 05:44 PM
Will your Nephew be coming home soon Ronnie?

2yrs as a Marine in a combat theatre is a long time.

basswipe
11-08-2005, 05:48 PM
All this talk about if the fall run is over or not just seems so damn minor.I take
every Vets day off and fish.Why?.Because I can.I'd love to catch a cow Friday but if I don't...it doesn't matter,I spent my day doing something my FREEDOM allows me to do.

Nebe
11-08-2005, 06:23 PM
my gramps was in Guadacanal, tarawa, and saipan.. Captian in the USMC. i thank him every time i see him :D

Squid kids Dad
11-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Thanks to all the Vets...My sons best friend got back from Iraq a couple of months ago...Safely...Thank you

basswipe
11-08-2005, 07:17 PM
My sons best friend got back from Iraq a couple of months ago...Safely...Thank you

Safely back is good.Obviously some haven't made it back.Take your son and his best friend fishing.

flapjack
11-08-2005, 08:02 PM
U.S.N. 74 / 76. One Nation surrounded by Ocean, that holds the reason we do what we do as "free"quently and peacefully as possible ! Many thanks to those that have served or succcumed to this senseless debacle in the sand.

justplugit
11-08-2005, 08:07 PM
THANK YOU to "The BEST of THE BEST".

:thanks:

Slipknot
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
Thank you Vets, all of you :thanks:

My brother was a Ranger.

basswipe, we will do our best :)

basswipe
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
No politics please flapjack.

Raven
11-08-2005, 08:24 PM
my dad was a navy radio man and had some nifty gadgets he showed me once.

i had three brothers who also served in the navy....one as an leutenent. (sp)

had i been a year older, i would've been drafted in the vietnam war....

my draft number was 356 the following year and so i wasnt called to serve in the military. I am not real good with authority figures... so i didnt join.

58,000 injured men and women have given there best to spread democracy to the world with over 2000 giving their lives in our latest military conflict.

i salute all of the people of the military for their sacrifice and dedication
and their for their contibution to make america free for all of us.

basswipe
11-08-2005, 08:36 PM
my dad was a navy radio man and had some nifty gadgets he showed me once.

i had three brothers who also served in the navy....one as an leutenent. (sp)

had i been a year older, i would've been drafted in the vietnam war....

my draft number was 356 the following year and so i wasnt called to serve in the military. I am not real good with authority figures... so i didnt join.

58,000 injured men and women have given there best to spread democracy to the world with over 2000 giving their lives in our latest military conflict.

i salute all of the people of the military for their sacrifice and dedication
and their for their contibution to make america free for all of us.

Agree or disagree.How Raven just put it is what this Friday is all about.
Thankyou Raven.

Again folks please no political feelings in this thread.

choggieman
11-08-2005, 08:55 PM
Usaf 93-97. Lived in d.c for a while and every veterans day I'd go to the vietnam memorial and pay my respects. Never forget those who gave their lives for us.

Bazza
11-08-2005, 09:42 PM
Thanks to vets who have served. We have alot be thankful for in our country.

Notaro
11-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks to my dad who brought his family and married my mom here from Vietnam. He fought in Vietnam war. He wasn't a Viet Cong.

riverrat55
11-08-2005, 09:44 PM
Thanks to all vets, past and present!!!
Serving your country is always appreciated!!!
US Army 1973-76

Squid kids Dad
11-08-2005, 10:32 PM
Brought them out for a nice dinner..They didnt have time enough to go fishing.The least I could do...God Bless all the others

Peter Lajoie
11-08-2005, 11:25 PM
Thanks to all the vets for what they did, I have a cousin(101st airborne) a freind mike who is a navy seal and a freind andrew who is a marine....I pray that they come home safe and we can all throw back a few once again...

Clammer
11-08-2005, 11:31 PM
Thanks to all the {VETS} because of them we have freedom //never forget /

kippy
11-09-2005, 06:04 AM
Thank you to all veterans for preserving our freedom. My grandfathers served in Korea and World War II. Thanks :claps:

Raider Ronnie
11-09-2005, 06:16 AM
Will your Nephew be coming home soon Ronnie?

2yrs as a Marine in a combat theatre is a long time.

He was here for a short time in June, then sent to school,
now working in an embassy over there!

The Dad Fisherman
11-09-2005, 08:36 AM
I have to share a proud moment...I'm always trying to remind my kids, especially these days, of what the Men and Women in uniform have done and are currently doing for us.

Well last summer my wife took my kids out to lunch at a local friendly's (I was at work, of course). A soldier comes in, wearing his uniform, to get some lunch. Without any prodding or reminders my son asks my wife if he can get up for a minute. She doesn't really know why, she just thinks he wants to hit the mens room. He gets up, walks right up to that Soldier and sticks his hand out to shake the soldier's hand and Says "Thank you for Serving our Country"

Turns out the kid just got back from Iraq and was on his way home. My wife said the soldier had the biggest smile on his face when my Son did that. Even the waitress at Friendly's was touched by it. I don't think I could have been more proud of him than when I heard that.

If you see a Soldier/Sailor don't forget to thank them.

USN 82-89

chris L
11-09-2005, 09:02 AM
you should be proud ! I am ! thats a stand up little ( big heart ) guy you got there .

fish4striper
11-09-2005, 09:08 AM
Thanks to all that have served to keep us all safe.

Skip N
11-09-2005, 10:37 AM
I think of both my grandfathers service everyday but especially on Veterans and Memerial day. They have since passed on but served thier country proudly during WWII. One served with the Armys 81st ID in Pelilui and during the occupation of Japan. My other grandfather served in the Armys 68th anti aircraft battalion in the North African Campaign, Sicily, Monte Cassino, Anzio, Southern France up to Germany to name a few. 7 battle stars and 4 D day invasions over that time. Its a blessing he made it out of Anzio, Not many men did after being pinned to the beaches and shelled for 3 months straight.

God bless em all they are better men than i will ever be.

MotoXcowboy
11-09-2005, 11:04 AM
:buds: Tommorrow is the Marine Corps 230th B-day! :buds:

SEMPER FI
1ST BN 6TH MAR DIV

Thanks to the veterans of all our branches,
before and after my time.

JohnR
11-09-2005, 12:35 PM
Veterans day, it is a tough day for some and proud day for most and a day of thank you from the rest of us.

Much like with memorial day, I often think of back in the 80s when I visited some of the cemetaries of American war dead in various places in Europe like France, Belguim, and Luxembourg. Thousands upon thousands of white tombstones arrayed across well clipped grass. People that gave their lives in service to allow us many things trivial but one thing surely not, our freedom. Guys that for years manned posts like Checkpoint Charlie, or the Inter-German border in the cold war. I've talked with some of you here that manned stations like that - thank you.

It is easy to have a disconnect from those veterans when your exposure - as a non veteran like myself - is a small maintenance collumn jamning up the highway at 40 miles per hour or perhaps a guard fighter streaming off your favorite beach in a training sortie, or the guard member flying through traffic from his weekly job to his weekend job.

I was fortunate to experience, like I did in the 85 and 86, go thru C.C. into what was then communist East Berlin and see what it was like to be in a place not free. Guys and gals gave up a few years or made a career of making what we have as freedom so we don't have to experience what many others across the world did and many still do - not being free.

I won't get into politics either - and hope everyone else on this thread stays away from it - becuase it is not about the politics. The guy on the ground, in the air, or on the seas just says yes sir and goes where ordered to go and does what ordered to do. Those are the people we thanks this week...

Thanks...

piemma
11-09-2005, 12:43 PM
Thanks John. We all appreciate the kind words..

mrmacey
11-09-2005, 01:30 PM
USS Blueback SS581 West Pac 78-79 :beat:

MAC
11-09-2005, 03:00 PM
A heartfelt thanks to all vets past and present. My nephew just re-enlisted and is going back this month. Lets hope they are all back home soon.

Army 79-82

fishsmith
11-09-2005, 03:07 PM
a salute to all Vets!!!!

Fly the Flag!!
USN
USS ARLEIGH BURKE(DDG-51)
QM2(SW) 90 - 94
ps - thats a good kid The Dad Fisherman

Mugz
11-09-2005, 03:15 PM
USN 1990-1996
USS Stein FF-1065
USS Ingersoll DD-990
STG2

eelskimmer
11-09-2005, 03:20 PM
Must be something about surfcasting that draws so many good men.
Good to see so many vets on this site. Thanks to all, got something
in my eye, so I'm off.

Ltjg., USNR
USS Randolph (CVS-15) '62-'65

JohnR
11-09-2005, 03:25 PM
USN 1990-1996
USS Stein FF-1065
USS Ingersoll DD-990
STG2

Ingersoll was decommissioned and stricken from the Navy list (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navy_list) on 24 July (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_24) 1998 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1998). She was sunk as a target on 29 July (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/July_29) 2003 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2003).

Sad how most of the Sprus lasted not 20 years before early retirement..

The Dad Fisherman
11-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Wow, My old ship was just Decommissioned this past august...Got 25 years out of her.

DD987 USS O'Bannon

I still get together w/ 3 other guys from the OB and their families every other year.

hunan
11-09-2005, 04:32 PM
all give some, some give all. for this i thank you.

PNG
11-09-2005, 05:03 PM
The Bronze Star was just awarded to the my church music directors son for actions in Afghanistan. All I can say is Thanks & I am humbled by all that have gone and continue to go...

They understand Sacrifice, Honor, Integrity and devotion to duty.

Goose
11-09-2005, 05:05 PM
Freedom is not free.
USMC 87-91

striperman36
11-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Jimmy
Dike
Marty
Mick
Juju
Leo
Cosmo
Mickey

RIP my friends, I will never, ever, ever forget 72-76
2 times around,

Bill

lurch
11-10-2005, 02:10 AM
I have to share a proud moment...I'm always trying to remind my kids, especially these days, of what the Men and Women in uniform have done and are currently doing for us.

Well last summer my wife took my kids out to lunch at a local friendly's (I was at work, of course). A soldier comes in, wearing his uniform, to get some lunch. Without any prodding or reminders my son asks my wife if he can get up for a minute. She doesn't really know why, she just thinks he wants to hit the mens room. He gets up, walks right up to that Soldier and sticks his hand out to shake the soldier's hand and Says "Thank you for Serving our Country"

Turns out the kid just got back from Iraq and was on his way home. My wife said the soldier had the biggest smile on his face when my Son did that. Even the waitress at Friendly's was touched by it. I don't think I could have been more proud of him than when I heard that.

If you see a Soldier/Sailor don't forget to thank them.

USN 82-89

Great moment for you and your family you must have been VERY proud!

I am waiting for the moment where I can say thanks in person at a resturaunt or other venue.

I was watching one night on C-SPAN about some of the soldiers who were injured and were being interviewed at Walter Reid hospital. The interviews of kids who were 18-21 were AMAZING!! I never knew an 18-21 year old kid could be so determined. These soldiers lost limbs, eyes and other body parts and they were so strong willed and determined that they made it look like a loss of body functionality was just a bump in the road of life. It made me think that if 10% of the kids are like these kids we will have a VERY strong future as a country! I had to whipe the tears from my eyes I was so proud and impressed with these kids!!

I have not served but want to say thanks to all the Vets out there as I am ALWAYS thinking of all who have and are currently serving!

Navy Chief
11-10-2005, 07:58 AM
Glad to see so many vets here. I always think about and try to honor those that have gone before me. I had an uncle that got killed on Omaha Beach.

USS Lasalle (AGF-3) 1983-1984
USS Meyerkord (FF-1058) 1985-1987
USS California (CGN-36) 1987-1989
NRD San Francisco 1989-1992
USS Mars (AFS-1) 1992-1993
USS Pyro (AE-24) 1993-1994
USS John A Moore (FFG-19) 1994-1996
Helantsubron Ten 1996-1999
USS Fitzgerald (DDG-62) 1999-2003
SWOS Newport 2003-Present

Next Halloween i get to retire after 24 years active duty.

Backbeach Jake
11-10-2005, 06:52 PM
Huge thanks to all you who served!

BobT
11-10-2005, 07:11 PM
USCG.....62-67 Supposed to go over for air sea rescue but got scratched at the last minute. Happy Vets day.

JoeP
11-10-2005, 08:20 PM
Dad Fisherman that is a great story -- I hope to teach my 3 boys the same lesson as they grow.

I am as guilty as anyone in not doing it enough, but each & every soldier who served our Great Nation in any capacity in the Armed Forces deserves a great deal of thanks. You all gave in some way to build what we have now.

When I read "We Were Soldiers Once...And Young", and every time I watch that movie, I get chills; not just because of what is on the movie screen but because of the realization that what is on the screen is actually what those men encountered in the Ia Drang Valley, and what thousands & thousands of others endured in all of our Nation's other involvements, including Iraq -- all for our sake.

Each one deserves great thanks. God bless you all...

RI Popper
11-10-2005, 10:20 PM
US Army 82-86 Sgt.
Life member D.A.V

Berlin Brigade
502nd Infantry
6th Infantry

Let's all pray for our boys and girls over there now. May the all find their way safely home!

"uffah!!"
11-11-2005, 08:37 AM
US Army 82-86 Sgt.
Life member D.A.V

Berlin Brigade
502nd Infantry
6th Infantry

Let's all pray for our boys and girls over there now. May the all find their way safely home!

What you said RI Popper.
US Army
Sgt.E-5
1962-1968

HESH2
11-11-2005, 10:47 AM
God bless all our vets and active military,freedom is'nt free.had an uncle who was a paratropper ww11,his brother a marine killed on saipan.After watching band of brothers on tv,had daughter buy me disc set.Amazing what our men in the military have done and continue to do. thanks

Jimbo
11-11-2005, 10:53 AM
My grandmother would always refer to today as Armistice Day (two minutes' silence at the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month because that was the time when the armistice became effective. Two minutes to recall WWI and WWII). But at 102 that's the world she truly grew up in. Today we pay tribute to all veterans in all wars. Thank you all for your sacrifice and bravery in protecting the American way of life. There was a poem written that is a legacy to a horrific World War I battle, but it speaks to many following and a tribute to all who gave or are giving so unselfishly.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below
We are the dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved, and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Col. John McCrea

Mugz
11-11-2005, 10:56 AM
"Ingersoll was decommissioned and stricken from the Navy list on 24 July 1998. She was sunk as a target on 29 July 2003.

Sad how most of the Sprus lasted not 20 years before early retirement.."

Wow.........I did not know the USS Ingersoll was used as trarget practice.
Thanks for the Info. When I got out she was going through the Decomissioning process.........
I still talk to many of my shipmates on a regular basis.

Pete
11-11-2005, 11:27 AM
One of my uncles landed with the 2nd Rangers on D-Day. Someone was watching out for him, he survived the landing and the war including the battle of the bulge. When he died at 70+ years his family counted about 30 ribbions and medals. Uncle hardly ever mentioned a single one.

This has been making the rounds on the net the last few days. Sure hope this is the greeting for all the heros that went to war.

Pete

THE FINAL INSPECTION
The soldier stood and faced God,

Which must always come to pass.

He hoped his shoes were shining,

Just as brightly as his brass.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

How shall I deal with you?

Have you always turned the other cheek?

To My Church have you been true?"

The soldier squared his shoulders and said,

"No, Lord, I guess I ain't.

Because those of us who carry guns,

Can't always be a saint.

I've had to work most Sundays,

And at times my talk was tough.

And sometimes I've been violent,

Because the world is awfully rough.

But, I never took a penny,

That wasn't mine to keep..

Though I worked a lot of overtime,

When the bills got just too steep.

And I never passed a cry for help,

Though at times I shook with fear.

And sometimes, God, forgive me,

I've wept unmanly tears.

I know I don't deserve a place,

Among the people here.

They never wanted me around,

Except to calm their fears.

If you've a place for me here, Lord,

It needn't be so grand.

I never expected or had too much,

But if you don't, I'll understand."

There was a silence all around the throne,

Where the saints had often trod.

As the soldier waited quietly,

For the judgment of his God.

"Step forward now, you soldier,

You've borne your burdens well.

Walk peacefully on Heaven's streets,

You've done your time in Hell."

~Author Unknown~

It's the Military, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the

press. It's the Military, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of

speech. It's the Military, not the politicians that ensures our right to

Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness. It's the Military who salutes

the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag.

If you care to offer the smallest token of recognition and appreciation

for the Military, please pass this on and pray for our men and women who

have served and are currently serving our country and pray for those who

have given the ultimate sacrifice for freedom

rivsie11
11-11-2005, 11:29 AM
As a Baptist minister, I am grateful for the freedom to proclaim my beliefs without fear of torture, car-bombings, and kidnapping.

Thank you to all who have earned this freedom for me. I have not earned it; I do not deserve it, and I can never pay you back. But, I will always be grateful and I will cherish the freedom God has given to me through your sacrifices. You have my deepest gratitude.

May God's grace be with you all on this Veteran's Day.

wax4144ep
11-11-2005, 12:27 PM
USAF 1975-1980

My son served in Iraq with the A-10 tank killers. He's now back safe and sound and still serving.

Way to go Nick, I'm so proud.

Hugs, Dad

dickmont
11-11-2005, 02:10 PM
US Army 68 -71
N Company 75th Rangers
LZ English RVN

Knowing everything I know now, I'd still do it again in a heartbeat.
I feel bad that I'm too f..kedup to be helping out in Irac.
A lot of us older guys would rather we be over there than the youngsters there today. Keep the troops in your thoughts and prayers. They need it.
Oh, and thank all of you!!!!!!!!!! for remembering

TSPS
11-11-2005, 02:30 PM
Thanks to all our Vets in all the armed services , and a special thanks to the guys who keep them supplied .

In Peace and War , U.S. Merchant Marines

Basstime
11-11-2005, 07:27 PM
There is a saying that goes something like :

If you can read, write or speak ...thank a Teacher!
If you can read, write or speak English... thank a Soldier!

Not sure if thats how it goes. But I think we get the message. My sincere thanks to those that made the ultimate sacrifice, to all the Vets and to all those currently servicing, God Bless You All.