View Full Version : Mini or Midi ?

Diggin Jiggin
11-08-2005, 07:02 PM
I wore out the pin that rotates in the tailstock collar on my old craftsmen lathe and I can't get the part. So it looks like its time to do a little shopping.

I know I've heard a lot of you mention the jet mini and the Delta Midi. Is one better than the other ? The mini seems a little cheaper but I plan on keeping this a long time so if its worth the extra $$ for the midi I'll go that route..
thanks...
-Dave

jomlt9@AOL.COM
11-08-2005, 07:15 PM
Midi i have the delta great lathe go for it and down the road if you want a vega dup it fits :jump:

capesams
11-08-2005, 07:22 PM
delta here..no problem's to date.

MAC
11-08-2005, 08:14 PM
If you ever want to mount a vega on the back side of the lathe you need the delta. (this way you can turn on the front without removing the duplicator)
It won't fit on the back of the jet mini.

Diggin Jiggin
11-08-2005, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys, that's good info about the duplicator. I'm probably a few years away from taking that plunge but its good to know as eventually I think I will end up getting one.

eastendlu
11-09-2005, 08:49 AM
If you want i could make you a new pin.Just send me a rough sketch with some dimensions and i'll turn one out for you , i have accces to all sorts of machine tools.

reelecstasy
11-09-2005, 10:08 AM
anyone sell delta's around this neck of the woods, or is it a Amazon thing :confused:

Diggin Jiggin
11-09-2005, 10:15 AM
EastEndLu, thanks for the offer.
I'll take a picture of the pin and collar and post it when I get home and if it's something you think you can do I'll just mail you the pin.

Reelecstasy, I did some searching online. amazon had it 269 with a 50$ rebate to bring it down to 219.

HD has it online at 250, but no mention of a rebate but I printed out the rebate form from another site. I'm not sure if I can use it if I buy at HD's or not but I am going to try it if I go that route. The rebates from Delta so I don;t see why that would not work. Atleast that way if somethings wrong with it I can just bring it back to the nearest HD rather than having to ship it somewhere....

reelecstasy
11-09-2005, 10:30 AM
I saw the same things too....maybe i will try and print out the rebate and see where I get....

eastendlu
11-09-2005, 11:15 AM
I used to work at HD and they should honor it,if they try to get out of it ask for a manager and break their chops.I've seen crybabies get anything they want at HD because they don't want to deal with them.I also used this after i left HD and have gotten lots of stuff you would not believe last thing i got was a brand new 5000 watt generator listed for 1,289.00 for 500.00 .

Remember that" The squeky wheel gets the oil".

The Dad Fisherman
11-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Someone that I know who works at HD told me that after Xmas people come back in to return their Xmas Trees.....because they aren't holding up...So I think the Rebate will be no problem

Diggin Jiggin
11-09-2005, 12:17 PM
The rebate form gets mailed to delta not HD, but the HD site did not mention the rebate or have a link to it. That xmas tree story is a good one. :bl:

eastendlu
11-09-2005, 12:48 PM
Funny but true about the trees i've seen it.HD policy is if you bring proof of a lower price they will sell it to you for 10% less than that price.Call them ask for customer service and they will tell you their policy.Lowes is the same btw.

Charleston
11-09-2005, 02:10 PM
Out of sheer curiosity, Why won't the Vega duplicator fit on the back of the Jet mini? Is it the gib locks for the tailstock that are in the way?

It really sucks that I missed the Super Swap :o Oh well maybe next year!

Diggin Jiggin
11-09-2005, 02:19 PM
Charleston, theres a mini swap if you want to hop on that one...

Jigman
11-09-2005, 07:53 PM
Out of sheer curiosity, Why won't the Vega duplicator fit on the back of the Jet mini? Is it the gib locks for the tailstock that are in the way?

Something like that. The lever/lock thingie that holds the tail stock in place while you turn. Yeah, I'm great with technical terms :o :rotfl: I'm sure if someone knew what they were doing they could redo the lever on the other side so the dup could be mounted on the back.

Jigman

Charleston
11-09-2005, 10:15 PM
Thanks Andrew..the lever lock thingie it is :bl:
I'm batting 1000 I missed both the swaps. I'm going in my shop and make 4 I'll give 2 to me and keep 2 :eek5:

ProfessorM
11-10-2005, 10:50 AM
I know someone else offered but I will offer too. I see you live in Ply. I'm right down the street. I work nites in Pocasset. Come on over some nite and bring part you need. I might be able to make while you wait if simple. Don't want to step on anyones toes but I am real close to you. Paul

eastendlu
11-10-2005, 12:58 PM
No problem with me Paul just trying to help out as are you ,whatever is convinient .

Diggin Jiggin
11-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Thanks guys, I really appreciate the offers. :btu:

I forgot to take the picture of the pin last night, I'll do it tonight... I don't think it would be hard for either of you to do.

Since Paul is closer if it looks like something he can do then that would be easier for me as I can just drive down to his shop. Plus that way I can bring the whole collar assembly with me in case he needs to see how it fits.
-Dave

ProfessorM
11-10-2005, 01:23 PM
What ever works for you. I am here. Seems to me there are way too many Daves on this site. P.

The Dad Fisherman
11-10-2005, 01:59 PM
What ever works for you. I am here. Seems to me there are way too many Daves on this site. P.

Dave's not Here, Man.

ProfessorM
11-10-2005, 03:06 PM
Dave's not Here, Man.

Good one. :scream: "It's a cloudburst Man"

Diggin Jiggin
11-10-2005, 07:15 PM
Paul, here's the collar and the pin.

Diggin Jiggin
11-10-2005, 07:16 PM
a better shot of the pin...