View Full Version : compressor/nail gun/stapler questions

Diggin Jiggin
11-10-2005, 09:11 AM
I have a couple of questions for you carpentry guys.

I need to re-shingle the south side of my house, and I would like to buy a compressor and nail gun to use to re-side the house. The house has cedar shingles.

I was at HD's looking at compressors and they have a 6 gallon porter cable pancake that goes to 135 psi. the compressor is 179. I know it will be loud but it fits the budget.

I can also get it packaged with 3 nail guns, one of which is a 1" narrow crown stapler for 279. Is the 1" narrow crown stapler what I need to hang shingles ? If not what gun/stapler do I need and what are its psi requirements ?

Thanks, and once I get the compressor, you know the airbrush questions will be right around the corner.. :drool:

spence
11-10-2005, 09:34 AM
While I'm not a professional, I've always used a coil gun and 2" stainless ring-shank siding nails.

Got the PC Pancake compressor as well, works like a champ.

-spence

ProfessorM
11-10-2005, 10:42 AM
Make sure the pressure is not to high or you will blow the nails, staples thru the shingles and they will be loose like the moron that did my addition. I had to rip off a crap load and replace. I prefer a hammer and galv.nail. Paul

capesams
11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
any compressor that goes to 65 lbs will work,,,but stay away from any that are oilless,,they seem to die an early death....1/2 crown staple's// sst staples,,1 1/4" long,,I say stainless because the galv. ones Will bleed and leave black streaks down your shingle's , plus these to will die[rust away] before your shingles are ready to give up.....check e-bay for stapler's[gun] if your only going to do your house or a small job. save yourself some $$.

MAC
11-10-2005, 05:48 PM
you want a medium crown stapler. Paslode makes a good one as does bostich. I'd go with the bostich as the staples are easier to find. 1/2" as opposed to 7/16" . My opinion is that stainless are great but expensive and harder to find. The galvy staples should last 20 years or more. I've pulled thousands and thousands of them and never saw them get bad unless your house is right on the water. The black streaking will occur eventually though. Some customers liked it some despised it.

Diggin Jiggin
11-10-2005, 05:55 PM
thanks guys, as always your a lot of help.

A shopping I will go... :jump: