any brand name should work well
a good regulator will be your best friend
small tank will come on alot more than a larger tank
drain when done..always
water "thingie" helps in damp muggy weather

head for sears and check some out.

nine-1-sickness
11-13-2005, 07:26 PM
Joe, if your gonna go balls out on making plugs. I wouldn't buy anything else but top of the line stuff. This is what i use to have until some low-lifes burglarized my house 4-6months ago.

http://airbrush-depot.com/images/480-1.jpg
Badger MILLION-AIR MODEL 480-1

Additional Specifications:
Max Pressure: in excess of 100 PSI
Motor: 115 Volts / 60Hz AC 1.72 amps
Dimensions: 17 ¼” L X 8 ½” W 13 ½” H X (44.5cm X 21cm X 34cm)
Shipping Weight: 37 lbs (16.8 kg).

The 480-1 is powered by a 1/5 HP motor and has a .45 gallon (1.70ltr.) tank which develops 19.8L/min .70 CFM at 126 PSI (8 bar). Will operate up to two air brushes.

EricW
11-13-2005, 10:10 PM
I have had terrible experiences with my Sears Air compressor. It is a non Oiled type. It is forever eating the connecting rod. After about 2 hours worth of use, when it was new it chewed up the connecting rod, and about 6 other pieces. Unfortunately I had already had it for a year and it was out of warranty. (long story there). I fixed it two more times and it just keeps breaking. Once when I was under my car and one other time when I was on my roof using my nail gun with about 1/2 the roof to go. When I pulled the motor and pump apart I could see why, real cheap construction. The pump assy is held together with 1 small screw into real cheap conneting rod assy. Holding a new connecting rod, It feels like you could snap it in half with your hands.
One other thing the non oiled types are very very noisy.

I just bought a 1 year old speedaire oiled pump type from a cabinet maker.
Amazingly quiet and runs my impact wrenches and drills etc. very nicely.

I think sears does make some oiled type. I would only look at them if you look in sears. Northern tool has some good ones. Grainger sells the Speedaire. The oiled ones will last forever if taken care of. My father in law has one as big as small car in his shop that has to be 40 years old and still runs like a top.
It's too bad about the sears ones. They have some good sized ones with enough cfm to run tools at reasonable prices, but the quality just doesn't seem to be there. Plus the Noise!

Anyway enough ranting. Good luck in your search.

Eric.

EricW
11-13-2005, 10:12 PM
I had another thought.

I haven't tried it but I have been told you can run an Airbrush off of a tire.
If you don't have a compressor, It is cheaper than buying canned air.

I would think you would need a nice clean on inside.

Eric

sportyguy33
11-22-2005, 03:19 PM
Would one of those Hitachi or Senco Nail gun compressors work?

MAC
11-22-2005, 03:50 PM
yes

nine-1-sickness
11-22-2005, 11:52 PM
Would one of those Hitachi or Senco Nail gun compressors work?

YES, but make sure you can regulate your output pressure and install a Moisture trap. It's not necessary but i also like to run an in-line moisture trap on the hose.

sportyguy33
11-23-2005, 12:03 AM
I figure heck if I'm going to shell out 3 bills for a air compressors my not get
oneof those dual cylinder ones I can also use for the Honey do List. :hihi:

nightfighter
11-26-2006, 10:53 AM
Check with the tool coral guy at Home Cheapo or Lowes to see if they have any rebuilts in stock or scheduled for return to store. Better than new in box and cheaper.....

ProfessorM
11-26-2006, 12:14 PM
IMO the larger the tank the better. Min. size 15 gallons. I can just turn mine on and let it fill up. I then shut the thing off and can paint 30 or 40 plugs until the air is low and then turn on to fill up again. I very rarely have to turn on more than once per session. The little compressors work but drain down quick and then you have to listen to them. Larger tanks are a little more expensive but worth it to me. As mentioned above I would also go with an oil filled one too. Longer life. Drain from bottom when done too to avoid rusting out your tank.

crash
11-26-2006, 02:37 PM
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001Q2VK0/ref=pd_kar_gw_2/102-0237864-4495315

I use this one, NOT maintenence free, so it will last. Its also really quiet, runs at a lower RPM. Perfect for my use, I only use one brush at a time, and will use it for trim guns. Its a decent deal also, I really only bought it because I hate loud compressors, and hate maintence free compressors.