View Full Version : Saltwater Sportman Seminar

schoolie monster
03-04-2002, 12:40 PM
Hope everyone had a fine weekend.

I just wanted to post a brief report regarding the Seminar I attended saturday. I really enjoyed it but am sad to say that I didn't win the trip to the Bahamas. I think the drawing was fixed. But, I still have a chance to win the 17' mako grand prize. That would be a pain since I just bought a boat... I really hope I don't win...

They had alot of local guides from the North Shore of Boston down to RI. Mitch Chagnon from RI was a great presenter... very funny and imformative.

Rip Cunningham and George Poveromo did a nice job pulling info out of these guys. I know Poveromo is a bit of a geek, but he did a great job and I'm starting to like him.

However, alot like the magazine itself, it was totally directed towards boat fishing. There was alot of offshore stuff which was interesting, but not particularly useful for me.

There were 3 or 4 sections for stripers, one for fluke, one for cod, and a couple for tuna and sharks. They also had a section on electronics. There were some good tips, stories, door prizes and I had fun despite having a pretty bad headache the majority of the day.

I would recommend this seminar to anyone who focuses on fishing from the boat. Especially if you want tips on trolling, chunking and live-lining... not much on light tackle and flyfishing.

Mr. Kav
03-04-2002, 02:37 PM
I attended that seminar a few years ago and thought it to be fairly informative. Although i do remember talking with mark sosin ( a guest speaker, fishing show host) there and he told me that he landed a 240 lb yellowfin tuna on fly in bermuda. I have fished bermuda extensively and the all tackle record for yellowfin tuna in bermuda is 199 lbs. he told me what boat took him out fishing in bermuda and i happen to know the captain of the boat and asked the captain and he told me that just didn't happen. That goes to show that even professional fisherman tend to stretch the truth a bit.

Fish_Eye
03-04-2002, 04:15 PM
Hey Kav,

I was at that SWS seminar and a fishing buddy of mine won the trip to the Florida Keys...it cost him plenty...he now goes back every year and is looking at property down there.

Mike