View Full Version : Hey redcrbbr...how do I get em?

Fish_Eye
03-04-2002, 08:09 PM
Hey redcrbbr,

I just read your bio info and I've got a question for ya. I love red crab. The fact is, I found a few while diving near Point Judith over the years...I know they must have fallen or gotten tossed off the commercial boats...but man are they great. If I remember right March is one of the best times to find them fresh...but where? Can you tell me where I can get some of those luscious red devils?

What little I remember about the industry was that it came into being when they invented a centrifuge type device to separate the meat from the shell…and they deliver a better meat to waste ratio then even lobster. I also understand that they are very prone to spoilage and are pretty tender critters. Inquiring minds want to know more...what can you tell me about when, where and how to get em? I think they are as good as any Alaskan King crab.

Mike

redcrbbr
03-04-2002, 10:46 PM
well... i haven't been down to the docks in quite a while, maybe now i have an excuse. last i heard some of the big boys(ocean processor ships) had come to the east coast from alaska and started fishing offshore. this caused quite a stir and steps were taken to get this fishery under gov. control in order to stop the big guys. From what i have heard redcrabbing is now on a limited days fishing schedule.

your best bet for getting a few crabs would be to try and hook up with one of the offshore lobster boats because they occasionally may have a few come up in their traps. i know there were a few smaller boats going out for them and trying to keep them alive using rsw, but i have been out of the game so long i couldn't even get you the names.

but i will try and work a little mojo and see if i can connect. and yes you are right the meat was pretty darn tasty, i'd say even more flavor than lobster. been about 8 years since i have had some. back in the day an average trip when we hit the dock would be about 70,000 lbs. of semi processed crab. shoulda kept some in the freezer:smash: not that it woulda lasted

bloocrab
03-04-2002, 10:54 PM
....keep eatin those "red" crabs.......:D

.....leave us "Bloos" outta da picture.....;)

JohnR
03-05-2002, 08:38 AM
Ya know, I used to do "Bloo" crabbin' when I was a youngster in MD... Run a 1500' trott line with refrozen 4 inch long eel chunks tied every 18 inches with a piece of rag. Run the line through the hook on the side of the boat and those "Chesapeke Bay Blue Channel Crabs" would stay on that line all the way up to the surface, scoop 'em up with a net and toss them back in the barrells... Get afew bushels, sell them, party like any particuarly evil 14-15 year old kid and be broke again the next day...

Nothing like putting 5-6 dozen live Blue Channer's in a huge boiling crab pot, a couple cans of PBR (hey - we were near the Mason Dixon line) and a box of Old Bay Seasoning - Crab Feast - Maryland style....

Then there was method #2, go down at night (I believe full moon but it's been 20 years (damn, I'm getting old :( )) to the side of the pier and shoot a BB gun at the bottom of the pilons. The crabs were sluffin' there shells to grow into bigger ones. The new shell would eventually harden but this is how they grow. Well, we would shoot below them, get them to scurry up the pilon where someone else would scoop them up with a net. From the net, right into the frying pan, eyes and all, and then in between to toast buttered pieces of weat bread... Soft Shell Crab Sandwhiches - Awesome....

And then there was the "Chicken Neckers..."

(Sorry Bloocrab)

Plug_Mugger
03-05-2002, 10:22 AM
I fish for tog with blue crabs that I catch on the beach.

Am I evil Bloo? :eek:

Krispy
03-05-2002, 10:46 AM
Uh-oh, there goes the neighborhood... Who let this guy in:rolleyes: :D

JohnR
03-05-2002, 10:59 AM

Am I evil Bloo?

hehehehe....

Fish_Eye
03-05-2002, 11:12 AM
Plug Mugger,

Be nice or I'll reveal your true identity to the world. Remember your early distance casting pictures? Back in the days when you couldn't dump all the line on the spool.

Mike

STEVE IN MASS
03-05-2002, 11:25 AM
John - you're making me hungry......about two months till the softshells show up in the area's "better" seafood markets.....yum!

bloocrab
03-05-2002, 12:32 PM
:af: :af: ....ENOUGH ALREADY!!!...:af: :af:

...wiggle your toes next to me this summer, see what happens..;)..

bloocrab
03-05-2002, 12:39 PM
Originally posted by Plug_Mugger

Am I evil Bloo? :eek:

..I'm beginning to wonder about you...:confused: :hf1: :jump1: :hf1: :jump1:

.....I got a remedy for people like you, just ask BM!!!...

Plug_Mugger
03-05-2002, 01:12 PM
:smash:

Ouch! Okay okay stop pinchin' me Bloo I'll stick to fiddlers and greenies. :laughs: :D

fishweewee
03-05-2002, 01:16 PM
Give 'm heck Bloo! :D

STEVE IN MASS
03-05-2002, 01:25 PM
Hey, FWW.....:)

JohnR
03-05-2002, 01:29 PM
LMAO!!!

Scotch Bonnet
03-05-2002, 04:58 PM
I went to a cookout last summer and they had about 100 lbs of these puppies steaming on the grill. They came from a dragger out of Pt. Judith. I took home about 20 lbs but had such a hard time getting the meat out of the shell, most ended up in the compost heap. :smash: :smash: :smash: These should be available at the point. I'll ask around.

Scotch Bonnet
03-06-2002, 07:14 PM
Mike, I can order red crabs from our lobster wholesaler(Labore wholesale in Narr.). He can only get 100lbs. or less at a time and needs about a weeks notice. Let me know if your interested cause I 'll get some too.The only downside is you'll have to come pick them up at the Westerly Stop&Shop.

Fish_Eye
03-06-2002, 08:40 PM
Hey Scoth,

Thanks for your efforts. I just want to make sure these are the New England Deep Sea Red Crabs:

http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/images/march/redcrab.jpg

They are sometimes confused with Rock crabs or Jonah crabs...they all look red when I get done with them.

I did a little research and it looks like although there are only as few as 6 boats going after these, they may be in trouble.

NMFS states:
SUMMARY: NMFS announces that, effective 0001 hours (l.t.), January 18, 2002, through May 14, 2002, notwithstanding any other regulations
SUMMARY: NMFS announces that, effective 0001 hours (l.t.), January 18, 2002, through May 14, 2002, notwithstanding any other regulations implemented for the Atlantic deep-sea red crab fishery, vessels may not fish for, possess, or land red crab in or from the U.S. exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in waters of the western Atlantic Ocean from 35 deg.15.3' N. lat., the latitude of Cape Hatteras Light, NC, northward to the U.S.-Canada border, in excess of 100 lb (45.4 kg) per trip. This action is based on a determination that the red crab total allowable catch (TAC) is projected to be reached as of January 18, 2002, and is necessary to prevent the fishery from exceeding the TAC established by the emergency rule that was published November 13, 2001.

Vessels may not fish for, possess, or land red crab in or from the U.S. exclusive economic zone (EEZ) in waters of the western Atlantic Ocean from 35 deg.15.3' N. lat., the latitude of Cape Hatteras Light, NC, northward to the U.S.-Canada border, in excess of 100 lb (45.4 kg) per trip.

Let me know what you find out before I plan the next Alliance Crab Party.

Looks like redcrbbr got out of the business at the right time.

Mike

redcrbbr
03-06-2002, 09:00 PM
i wonder what the the limit(TAC) is, that they are projecting will be reached????

by the way ..thats a picture of a very small one. the average size of the ones we used to harvest had head shells any where from 6-8 inches across, with legs atleast that or a little longer. when we have another alliance meeting, i'll bring some pics.

Scotch Bonnet
03-06-2002, 09:56 PM
He told me one of his offshore lobster boats would bring in up to 100lbs. of red crabs anytime I need em. This sounds like its within the regs and I have to assume he knows what he's talking about. Who's got the hot sauce?

Fish_Eye
03-06-2002, 10:02 PM
Hey Red,

NMFS posted this in November:

2.16 million pounds with 65,000 pounds per vessel, per fishing trip.

The first ones I found on the bottom looked like mini-Alaskan King Crabs -- they just tasted better.

The only crabs I ever enjoyed more were the ones we caught off the coast of Siberia. Here's a look at a small one:

http://fisheye.striped-bass.com/images/march/rucrab.jpg

Mike