View Full Version : full moon plug colors

Vogt
11-21-2005, 06:38 PM
On a full moon at night will you guys go to lighter colors of stick with the traditional draker ones.? Or does that also deppend on bottom type.(sand or rock)???

BigFish
11-21-2005, 06:54 PM
Powder blue over white on a needlefish plug slays! Also just white and orange over white! :btu:

Pt.JudeJoe
11-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Tins 'n' teasers :wiggle: they're not just for daytime anymore.

afterhours
11-21-2005, 07:02 PM
on a full moon anything goes imo.

Young Salt
11-21-2005, 07:10 PM
i call it mellllllowww - yelllllowww......

quite rightly

Mike P
11-21-2005, 07:51 PM
The theory behind "bright night/white plug" is that a white plug will be silhouetted better when a fish is looking up at it.

The flaw in the theory is whille it may hold true with surface runners like metal lips, it doesn't necessarily apply to lures like Bombers, darters, bottle plugs, sinking needles and anything else that the fish will be looking at laterally.

I use natural colors (blue or dark green over silver) and yellow under the full range of lighting conditions. Fish see natural baits when it's too dark for you to see your hand a foot in front of your face ;) They see plugs of any color, but may not bite every color, so it does pay to carry an assortment. One of the year in, year out producers on LI is the so-called "chicken scratch" Bomber, which is the pale yellow/cream one with broken stripes (chicken scratches) along the flanks. It's usually the first plug I throw no matter what the lighting conditions are.

I tend to use the darker colors (black, black/purple) only on darker nights.

RIROCKHOUND
11-22-2005, 08:59 AM
Yellow w/ a red head;
JoeP saw it work last week :D
although so did his Fin's fish :D

Krispy
11-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Black, on everything, all the time :vamp: :skulz:

shadow
11-22-2005, 10:10 AM
imo at night color isnt as importent as action or sometimes castabilty. as long as the fish can see the silhouetted. I keep it simple black on dark nights . yellow or white when its bright, its hard to beat bone white in the light.I'll buy all kinds of colors and patterns to collect. but mostly only fish the basics.(most of the time) :rotf2:

JoeP
11-22-2005, 02:41 PM
Yellow w/ a red head;
JoeP saw it work last week :D
although so did his Fin's fish :D

Yup, I witnessed Brian's yellow/redhead catch with that big bright thing shining in the sky.

Of course the custom wooden black/silver darter I had just bought would have worked in the future too if it hadn't snapped off & flew into the ocean on my last cast. :uhoh:

libassboy
11-22-2005, 03:02 PM
To be honest black isnt my fav at night. On some plugs yeah but the stuff i throw the most, i like white and yellow and chartruse. Full moon/no moon it doesnt matter. Not only that but topwater works really well at nite too, esp spooks/howdys.
The biggest bass ive ever seen caught was on a yellow needle on a new moon. Now i know many people including myself whove nailed fish on black swimmers but my confidence colors are mentioned above. :bo:

Skitterpop
11-22-2005, 03:13 PM
Of what I`m not sure....2004 November I was using a wide array of colors in A-Salt Bombers....from white, black, blurple, gold, chicken scratch... all caught.................