View Full Version : Metal Lip Swimmers

Sea Dangles
11-26-2005, 07:31 PM
I usually do most of my damage with needles(Habs) but there is something about hanging a good fish on a metal lip swimmer.What are some of your favorites?Please include color,size and why you chose that model.I have to say Tattoo's new diver has impressed me because it casts good,swims great and catches.The beachmaster cowboy rocks too!!!

pops
11-26-2005, 08:13 PM
I like the tat's diving swimmer [so much i bought 5 !]
I also love the R.M.Smith peanut /bunker/herring

titan
11-26-2005, 08:35 PM
I like the 2.0 ounce Tattoo swimmer. On my first cast with one this summer I caught a 41" fish. I was fishing in total darkness and was using black. Since then I have caught about 5 or 6 more decent keepers on them. I find that I am hooking and landing a good percentage of fish that strike. I think the 2 belly hooks help. The finish is holding up great and the plug swims great at even the slowest of retrieves.

stripercrazy
11-26-2005, 11:45 PM
those r m smith peanuts rock :wiggle: :rotf2:oh yellow

basswipe
11-27-2005, 08:39 AM
The 2oz Tattoo Jr swimmer in gold/yellow did well for me in the spring.

Slipknot
11-27-2005, 08:54 AM
Atom 40
Beachmaster danny
my medium pikie
bassmaster danny
Jigman sloped head swimmer in yellow flash
all work well for me

bart
11-27-2005, 08:59 AM
i like MAC's dannys the best. white with pink stripe was good to me this year.

second would have to be a 2.5 chart. Tattoo swimmer. i also like the diving swimmer but have yet to catch on it. nasty action on that thang...

tlapinski
11-27-2005, 09:10 AM
To limit it to one metal lip is almost impossible for me. I can list my favorites though.

Solid black or yellow/white large Tattoo swimmer - Took a TON of fish on these two plugs this year.
Smaller Tattoo swimmer in black - My first night fshing this plug was in the mullet run. The bass and blues were attacking the plug like it was the end of the world.
Original 6" Goo Goo Eyes in any color - This is the metal lip that I have caught the most fish over 40" on.
Original Atom 40, any color - While I have not caught as many fish on this plug as I would like, I continue to throw it and love the way it swims!

I'm not too caught up having a major variety of colors, so most of my plugs fall into one of a few categories, dark (black, purple, dark green), light (white), or what I call "stand out colors" (yellow, chartreuse, pink, etc...)

CANAL RAT
11-27-2005, 09:35 AM
1 1/2oz psyhco swimmer in blurple. fishaholic18 makes the surf asylum plug series. it digs right into the current of the canal and can hold its own. also the atom 40 in whiteblue and solid black.and the bigest gibbs danny made i use this for spring herring color or blue and in fall in yellow and soild black.
in mid summer when sandeels are here in great numbers you can beat a BIG bomber plastic swimmer in black or olive crawled on the surface to make a nice big V wake.

riverrat2
11-27-2005, 09:52 AM
The metal lipped plug that has cought more fish for me than anything else, by far is the 2 oz black/gold mac pikie. I have had it for 2 seasons and it has cought a ton of fish. This year though I was all about the black bomber :uhuh:

afterhours
11-27-2005, 10:28 AM
i caught real well on these this past season...

tattoobob
11-27-2005, 10:34 AM
Salty's round nose swimmer is the one that I have my biggest fish on
I also like the habs that came out last year Pink and white and it has
the eye in the back. I also use the Tattoo swimmer the one that matches
a lobster works great.

NIB
11-27-2005, 11:27 AM
My own.
A few yrs ago I came up with a swimmer A blend of a big Lefty and a musso danny wit a sloped head.I made some different configurations of the the plug.I think I have it the way i like it,.One I manged to keep in yellow has caught alot of fish for me this yr.I gave Our Leader John R one an asked him to post a pic but I guess he has been busy.The one he has is nasty.3.oz's of fish killer.
I like BM danny's.Not sure why I have copied em to a T but his catch better.They have special mojo.

shadow
11-27-2005, 11:38 AM
i love my beachmaster dannys and atom 40's most years thes are top dog at lest for swimmers(i love redfins too)this year it was the 2oz. tattoo in gold and yellow good color for day or night.

riverrat2
11-27-2005, 11:46 AM
OMG Afterhours I can't belief you revealed those to the world! Now I gotta have a black one.

libassboy
11-27-2005, 01:06 PM
Beachmaster Danny's black/gold, white
Gary2 Sidekick Bunker :humpty:
A40 blue/white
Tattoos 2oz swimmer herring color(this color on this plug rocks im telling you!)
Side note: Redfins rock! altho there not metal lips they are swimmers.... :boots:

Tattoo
11-27-2005, 04:07 PM
Glad you guys like the metal lips. The 2oz Jrs were very popular, more so than expected.

Although they were released in the early fall, the diving swimmer became top dog pretty quick with the heavy seas we had in October.

Here's some proof in the pudding 35+ lbs. You can read the whole testimonial and veiw the entrie plug lineup at www.tattoostackle.com

rhodyflyguy
11-27-2005, 06:25 PM
i had a tatoo deep diver once. only had it for a day, before it went to that magical rock in the sky :crying:

Peter Lajoie
11-27-2005, 11:31 PM
Beachmaster black and gold danny..
Beachmaster Jr Atom--all white and yellow
Atom 40 ---all black

Zeno
11-28-2005, 06:04 AM
I use ton of stuff from a lot of different guys.In fact I think my bag is starting to get ridiculous with all the gear.I have also become somewhat of a metal lip junkie last few year , particularly a beachmaster junkie.I don't know why that is ,there are ton of good ,solid plugs on the market from different builders but I keep reverting to these.Must be a confidence thing?:musc:
You asked for "favorite"
Beachmaster Medium Danny in herring pattern ,will outfish any plug in my bag ,on any given day
Beachmaster Atom Jr. in mullet pattern ,deadly around the jetties ,bridges ,back bays and around any rocks.All around deadly plug.Add a eel skin over it and you have a deadliest plug ever made
Troublemaker medium Surfster in blue over white ,when conditions are right the fish will fight each other over the plug
Beachmaster Conrad's and Cowboy Junior when you want to burry you plug 10 feet deep of the jetty tip but you want to keep the presentation "small"
Musso Troller or Beachmaster Cowboy .When you want to go really deep and really big in fast current.
MAC jointed small pike or Beachmaster jointed eely ,when you want to broken back action on a small plug
Beachmaster giant pike when you are looking for cows in the rip with a conventional gear.You are talking a foot long plug weighing around 5 ounces.Not made for spinning rods.
Metal lips that I used in the past and liked : MAC pikes,Labrador Big Eye swimmers,#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^&#^& Dastardly Danny,

EricM
02-08-2007, 11:35 PM
Too many metal-lip swimmers not enough time...

Krispy
02-08-2007, 11:44 PM
Old Atom Jr.
The pink/yellow one
I dont think theres a more fish catching metal lip ever made :skulz:

bassmaster
02-09-2007, 01:04 AM
my needles and dannys

jimmy z
02-09-2007, 04:42 AM
This past Fall, I caught more large bass on A 40 and Conrad types, in the 7 to 8" range.
I also do well with Danny's and Surfsters.

Bigcat
02-09-2007, 06:56 AM
I don't fish swimmers very often, but one day I found a pod of 20# fish that were all over a pink and white 2 1/2 Salty dannie:bl:

Rappin Mikey
02-09-2007, 07:58 AM
I thought you were kicked off of this board. GET LOST!!!!!:bshake:

Flaptail
02-09-2007, 08:17 AM
my needles and dannys

uh oh........:vamp:

baldwin
02-09-2007, 09:51 AM
Old medium-sized white Danny is a killer for me. Also, yellow-over-white Beachmaster Junior for specific times. I recently acquired a couple of Tattoos that I'm really looking forward to swimming.
...and, I also have had some great nights with the original Atom 40s.

Flaptail
02-09-2007, 10:03 AM
The best metal lip swimmer out there today is a Beachmaster Medium Danny. Pick your poison on color as they all have worked for me at one time or another.

Older Pond made Plastic P-40 Atoms in blue swirl would be a close second. I have caught many a bass on them from boat and beach.

If I had to pick colors it would be all white, Wihte belly yellow back and Black/gold sides. For any wooden plug.

JohnR
02-09-2007, 10:14 AM
I thought you were kicked off of this board. GET LOST!!!!!:bshake:

RM - Old thread (but good thread) brought back up, that's all...

Rappin Mikey
02-09-2007, 10:53 AM
I was just kidding anyway. I kind of like the guy. KIND OF.

EricM
02-09-2007, 09:12 PM
Blue and white Atom jr.

Terence
02-09-2007, 10:17 PM
Tattoo black n silver swimmer. A real producer on calm nights in the rock fields. Makes a wake for yards!

gadabout
02-11-2007, 11:08 PM
Even though it looks like a cheap plastic piece of junk, the floating Atom Junior is still one of the best metal-lipped swimmers. I've been making my own wood plugs for the past year or so, but there is always an Atom Junior in my bag.

wheresmy50
02-12-2007, 08:37 AM
Tattoo's large swimmer in brown back, white belly. There's one river mouth in particular where I just let it drum in the current and hold on. Great plug.

Tattoo
02-12-2007, 11:09 AM
It's great to hear everyone is having success with the metal lips!

Sign up for the newsletter (http://www.tattoostackle.com/newsletter.php) to find out when the metal lip video along with others to be hitting the website.

Here's a link to the diving swimmer (http://www.tattoostackle.com/videos/TattoosTackleDarters.wmv) video which was just feature in this months Salt Water Sportsman (page 92).

Enjoy the video and we will see you all at the RISSA show next month.

striperondafly
02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
best lures for me the past two years have been Tattoo's 2.5 diving swimmer in white/pink and RM Smith 2 ounce in bronze bunker.

http://brianmullaney.com/fishing/albums/Tattoo/tattoodeepdiver.jpg

http://brianmullaney.com/fishing/albums/rmsmith/RMsmithbronzebunkertwo.jpg

Krispy
02-12-2007, 12:35 PM
It's great to hear everyone is having success with the metal lips!

Sign up for the newsletter (http://www.tattoostackle.com/newsletter.php) to find out when the metal lip video along with others to be hitting the website.

Here's a link to the diving swimmer (http://www.tattoostackle.com/videos/TattoosTackleDarters.wmv) video which was just feature in this months Salt Water Sportsman (page 92).

Enjoy the video and we will see you all at the RISSA show next month.

Nice stuff Mike :kewl:

JHABS
02-12-2007, 02:36 PM
Swimmers Coming to the RISSA SHOW...................