View Full Version : Where to buy Snow Blowers

Striperhound
11-27-2005, 04:33 PM
That time of year again and my back wont allow me to shovel anymore. Went to Home Cheapo and Loews today and didnt like the quality I saw. They did have some high end stuff over a grand but I dont need all that. Is there any small yard equiptment retailers anyone could recommend. Somewhere where someones knows what they are selling? Any brands I should stay away from.

Thanks in advance

Goose
11-27-2005, 05:49 PM
True Value hardware has a good selection of turo's snow blowers.

UserRemoved1
11-27-2005, 08:57 PM
Do a back search on snowthrowers, there was a good thread last year. Something to remember about hd and lowes stuff....Ariens will only give them the cheapy versions of their machines...plastic gears etc. JUNK.

The good stuff can be found at the distributors like Boston Lawnmower etc, they have the "professional" series which has cast gears, iron blocks etc like the good stuff from years ago. Toro makes a decent blower, as does Honda, Ariens pro is good too. I personally don't like the Sears stuff, not impressed with them bringing them in from offshore.

MTD is same as Troybilt but is sold in stores. They have some good stuff too.

How big depends on how wide and long your driveway is. The more hosre you got the better it throws...and if your driveway is wide you want something with enough "ummph" to put it across the driveway otherwise it tends to pack together and is harder to get through later when you get to that point.

Small driveway prob 5hp min, medium 7-8 hp, and large I'd stick around the 9-12 hp size. Course price goes up too.

Raider Ronnie
11-27-2005, 09:05 PM
Do liked a lot of others do.
Get one from Home Depot,
use it for the winter,
and return it in the spring saying there is a problem with it!!!
not that I would do that !

capecodder
11-28-2005, 11:14 AM
Honda is high quality, but you pay for it. Mine was $1800 but I have a big driveway. It has treads not tires and throws a long way... If you don't like the Home Depot selection, you may be headed in that direction.

Check with your local hardware shops and look for a chainsaw/power equipment dealer.

Or visit the Honda, Toro web sites and look for dealers near you.

Striperhound
11-28-2005, 07:14 PM
Thanks for the info everyone, much appreciated!

Mike P
11-28-2005, 07:51 PM
If you have a long, hilly driveway, the tracked Honda is the way to go.

Swimmer
11-28-2005, 08:41 PM
I waited when I needed one to get an Ariens. I know they are a couple of dollars more, but I gotta tell you I love mine.

basswipe
11-28-2005, 08:44 PM
NEVER overlook yard/garage sales.My next neighbor had an original SnowKing for $75 last week.The 1st guy who recognized it for it was snapped it up.

Striperhound
11-29-2005, 06:33 PM
Another question, I have a small driveway plus walkway 30 x 20 at most. I saw the small toro's with the hard rubber auger blades. That is probably all I need do they hold up or should I spend the extra 50 to 100 to get the bigger model and metal auger blade? Questions, Questions?

sok
11-29-2005, 08:05 PM
A little late in the season to look for a machine?
Once they are gone, they are gone.
Mastranzi Bros. Beverly(?)
I don't know if they cover the south shore/Cape
Pick up & return at your door just for periodic maintenance.
Never heard much about Tecumsah motors.
Hondas run great but more expensive. And I hear the parts are a bitch to get if you need them.
Ariens with a Briggs.
My old man just bought a new one over the summer. $1500
I'm hoping to take the old one off his hands. Just to help him free up some room in the garage.
He bought it 1972
Still runs.
What he said EXACTLY as far as yard/garage sales go; I used work with someone that found an Ariens/Briggs out with the trash. Short money on carb parts and a couple of hours work and he offered to sell it to me for $500.
Even a couple of hundred to get an old machine running again is still a lot cheaper than a new one.
Worth it when they run forever.
You don't need to throw the snow to the next town just out of YOUR driveway.

missing link
12-02-2005, 09:09 PM
On the corner of west st. & vine during a snow storm
Link

missing link
12-02-2005, 09:10 PM
Ya I know I'm F'd

missing link
12-02-2005, 09:11 PM
Trying to build my posts up NEBE has us all beat