View Full Version : Dead Computer, HELP!!

macojoe
11-29-2005, 10:25 AM
Ok I have a Dell 4400 its about 4 to 5 years old.

Its a 1.6 ghz, P4 Windows XP Home,

160gig HD that I put in about 2 years ago.

It has 512 ram, one stick is oringal and the oter is a kingston I added about 2 years ago.

Has a Acer CD rom, and a Sony CD/RW DVD Rom That I also have installed at different times.

Ok heres the problem, I have been getting some what seemed like slow memory?? I would open something and it would come up quick but in like stages, sort of like layers?

So I thought I had a bad stick of memory? Its happened before. So I ordered a 1 gig stick as I have two 256 right now and decided I would max it out if I was going to do it.

I installed the new stick and removed the old, I turned the computer on and all I got was 3 beeps?
Ok maybe it did not seat right?? I took it out reinstalled and the same thing?
Ok maybe it belongs in the other slot ( I Have two) and still 3 beeps and nothing??

Ok so I think maybe I got a bad stick I will have to return it for another. I reinstalled the two 256 sticks from before. turn on the computer and BEEP BEEP BEEP!!:af:
Take them out look at them and reinstall again. BEEP BEEP BEEP!! :wall:

So Igo on the net and look up the Beep thing, it says that 3 short beeps means that the computer is not seeing the first 65K of mermory and that the stick may be bad?

So Now I have no computer and it sits dead :rocketem:

I wonder if anyone has any ideas?? I have a friend that says he things the motherboard has craped out??
But why?? All I did was change the memory and I have done this many times!!

Ok I have vented anough. Does anyone have any other ideas?? I am down to a little 233 mhz laptop!!

Thanks all!!

Swimmer
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
XP does need about 65k of memory just to open up, and I agree thats where the three beeps are coming from. Its strange though with what you have done the problem is not fixed.

JohnR
11-29-2005, 12:01 PM
Install one of the original sticks into each slot until the system boots. Once you have gotten that far, be sure to put the next stick in and verify that it boots. That machine is new enough that you should not need to go into the bios and "recognize" the memory.

What kind of memory is it? DDR? Rambus? SDRAM?

You also may have knocked something else lose so verify everything else is tight.

macojoe
11-29-2005, 12:07 PM
Thanks to both of you!!

I have done all that you have said!! I reinstalled one stick of the oringal 256 ram, one at a time. when it did not work I installed the stick in the other slot, then tryed with the oter 256 stick and still nothing??

John, it is pc 2100 DDR

Thanks again

macojoe
11-29-2005, 12:18 PM
is it a possibility that if the mother board was week, that by pluging in the new memory in backwards or by being bad could have caused the mother board to fail completely??:crying: :crying: :crying:

JohnR
11-29-2005, 02:10 PM
is it a possibility that if the mother board was week, that by pluging in the new memory in backwards or by being bad could have caused the mother board to fail completely??:crying: :crying: :crying:

You can't plug the memory in backwards as it is asymetrical in the pin layout - and if you did, you used more than a little force to do it :hihi:

Pull the memory out and verfy that you are lining up the notch in the mem stick with the notch on the mem slot. When you push it in, if installed properly, the catches on each end of the memory slot should click and lock into the side notches ont the memory sticks. You probably have 4 memory slots, in which case try each stick individually in each slot. If still no go, use both 256 sticks and plug into the first two and see if it works, if it does not, try the next two slots, if it still does not work, put one in the first slot and one in the third slot. I don't believe that your memory needs to be installed in pairs

macojoe
11-29-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks John, I have 2 slots and have done all that many times so far?? And nothing??
I have checked all connections to make sure I did not pull anything off or lose and still nothing??

I have done memory many times in the past including this computer and never had a problem before.

Ok lets say I have done all and still nothing, what do think the next step should be??

JohnR
11-29-2005, 03:46 PM
2 things - verify that the 3 beeps in fact means a memory issue by checking Dell's site specifically for the 4400. Different BIOS manufactures have different beep codes for different things

2 - see if there is a set of 4 lights on the back of the computer and see what the pattern is green / green /yellow /green or whatever - and check that against dell's site for the 4400.

OK, one more thing, the P4 comps, especially the early ones, often had a second power connector (4pins) to plug into the motherboard in addition to the 12 pin (or 16 pin) main ATX connector - verify that both plugs are in - one may be over by the memory. Double check all other connectors and especially your video card. And a further test is to unplug all cards and drives other than memory, video, keyboard, power, and monitor - this helps to narrow it down. Beyond these checks, I really could not add more without seeing it (and you are not exactly next door)...

Swimmer
11-29-2005, 07:48 PM
are you sure the new memory is absolutely compatable with your machine?

macojoe
11-29-2005, 08:26 PM
Ok to make a long story short, I spent about 2 hours online with a Dell tec. and after all was said and done he said it is eaither the power supply or the Mother board :lossinit:
So I am no better off then I was before:wall:

Swimmer, I called and they ashore me that it is. But it no matters anyway cause it don't work with the old memory now any way.

I am so confused??

John I have done all that you said and I am at a stand still??

Is there away to test the power supply?? The lights come on, the fan comes on, the cd drive light blinks?? But no monitor comes on?

Redsoxticket
11-30-2005, 09:41 AM
Does the motherboard except 1g memory module ?
If not then it is possible that an IC (intergrated circuit) such as a driver or memory controller chip may have failed when you installed the memory. The memory may of had 5 volts or 12 volts on a contact pin or ground pin which fried the IC that connects to that pin due to the incompatible memory.
If the 1g memory is compatible then you may have installed incorrectly for just a moment thus creating what was stated above.

It is also possible that you have a cold solder joint or desoldered joint on the memory connector. Try applying pressing down on the memory module when the pc starts up.

macojoe
11-30-2005, 12:44 PM
Thanks Red!!
I looked at my Dell spec, and it says that it will go 1 gig, also did a system check at powerlead.com, it also said the same.
I called the kingston memory place and they say that they stick I got from them is the right one.

I spoke with the Dell tec, and at the end he says power supply or MB?? I have put the old memory in and still nothing?? I changed the jumper on the MB as told by dell and it would not go into maintance mode??

Looks real bad :crying: Guess I am going to have to take it somewere to get the power supply check, I don't have a meter.

Thanks all!! If you think anything elese let me know please!!

macojoe
12-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Well I took the power supply to be tested and they say it is just fine.
So it looks like the motherboard is shot.

I have a new set up all picked out and I will be ordering it all soon.

It is going to be a Asus Board, AMD 3000+ 1.8ghz, 1 gig of 2 - 512 heat sinked ram, and a Sound Blaster Live card.
I have a NiviaGforce video card with TV out I will reuse in the new set up.

I will be using my Dell case and all the drives that I have now as I have bought all new stuff making it the way I wanted.
I have a Sony Dual Layer DVD-R+ , I have a Acer CD Rom, Floppy, 160 gig WD HD and a second 40 gig WD HD

Should be all I need for what I do. Was thinking of going with a larger processor?? but I think this is the way I am going.

Does anyone have any other sugestions at this time?? this will be the time to let me know!!

Thanks

JohnR
12-06-2005, 10:30 AM
Does anyone have any other sugestions at this time?? this will be the time to let me know!!

Thanks

Sounds like a decent rig - once you have it all done - part out what's left on Ebay..

Redsoxticket
12-06-2005, 12:47 PM
I would bring the pc to a shop. There they will identify the problem at a minimal price and give you an estimate on the repair if you chose that route. It may be something as simple as a wire the failed at the crimp, etc.

likwid
12-07-2005, 11:47 AM
I will be using my Dell case

Dell uses a strange form factor motherboard most of the time, its likely you won't be able to put the new mobo in the old case.

Not that cases are expensive (mid tower at compusa is like $40)

JohnR
12-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Dell uses a strange form factor motherboard most of the time, its likely you won't be able to put the new mobo in the old case.

Not that cases are expensive (mid tower at compusa is like $40)

That is right (though an older 4400 might be ATX) but one other thing to consider is that the start & rest buttons, LED lights, and PC speaker all use a non standard connector that will not fit the typical ATX motherboard. Sure you can cut and splice but also not worth the $50 for a decent case - probably best to get the case from whoever is putting the system together for you so that you know you have compatible components, like a smart powersupply that supports the proper power connector on the MB (also something that recently changed)

macojoe
12-07-2005, 06:09 PM
well we shall see what we shall see??

I got the ram today and the motherboard will be here I say about 1 week.
They are putting the procceser, heat sink, and fan toghter, and testing the board. I will be putting all toghter when it gets here.
The Dell case is ATX, but I did not know about all the power wires??

This was going to be easy I thought?? I should have known!! :splat:

I will let you know what happens when I get it.

Thanks Guy's!!

crash
12-16-2005, 08:55 AM
How did you make out with the board?

macojoe
12-16-2005, 10:25 AM
Thanks for asking!!

The board will be here today from FedX and I will start the install tomorrow.

I have a old 500 mhz in thre basement that I have added my Hard Drive to and I have backing up all my data to CD's.

This way when I install the new board I will format the drive and start fresh with a new OS.

This will be my first build and I hope all goes well!!

I will post sccuess or failure or questions as I go along.

Thanks all!!

macojoe
12-16-2005, 08:55 PM
well the good news is that the MB came today!!

The Bad news is that it will not fit my case :bsod:

So now I have to find a case, I really wanted to use my case cause i like that it opens as a suit case and there are no screws to anything! Makes it so easy to work on!

Back to the drawing board!

crash
12-20-2005, 09:44 PM
PM me if you want some specialized cases (side hobby) but tigerdirect.com, newegg.com, and http://www.xoxide.com/ have some pretty cool stuff. I also have the worlds ugliest computer case stuffed in a closet if you want it. It's new and will fit your board but its a cheapie. Price -free

macojoe
12-20-2005, 11:38 PM
Thanks for the offer!! I have ordered a case from TigerDirect and it will be here thursday.
Nothing special, just a black case with a 425 W PS