View Full Version : Scratches

tattoobob
11-29-2005, 09:19 PM
Sorry I never come here, I fall alot when rock climbing and got some sweet scratches on a nice rod and wanted to know how to go about fixing it. Is this something I can fix myself or do I need to send it out?

SBASS1
11-30-2005, 12:27 PM
Are the scratches in the finish over the windings or on the blank itself? If they're on the windings you can throw a skim coat of finish over them and it will look brand new. However if they're on the blank, you can do the same thing but it will look like chit w/in a year! Putting a skim coat over ther entire rod is better left to professionals. The reason it'll look like chit in a year, is the next time you fall you'll crack the skim coat and it will start to peal off when the moisture gets under the finish. Scratches build character as long as they're not to deep in the blank. I'd recommend skimming the windings and leaving the rest alone. Make sure you wipe the windings down with acetone or lacquer thinner to remove all oils before you start.

Roger
11-30-2005, 01:52 PM
I agree with SBASS, but add that if there is an issue of structural integrity, thread wraps will help a bit. If that's not the issue, paste wax will generally help hide the scratch.

tattoobob
11-30-2005, 06:30 PM
These are more like gouges and it is down to the black graphite, I wouldn't care but I just bought it and it is a Ron Arra 10 foot 1203-2 so I kinda want to have it fixed. It is on the blank I will bring it to Surfland and have there builder fix it.

Thanks guys

togue
12-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Wow TattooBob!

When last I saw you, that rod was brand new. If you have that much wear & tear on it, you must have been busy this fall.

Hope the fishing has been good for you.

Tight lines.....

CANAL RAT
12-04-2005, 06:10 PM
clear nail polish maybe:think: