View Full Version : White perch as "live bait"

striprman
12-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Theres a lake near me that has white perch (along with other "panfish"). Has anyone ever used live freshwater white perch as live bait for bass ?
I'm thinking of catching a bunch and using as a substitute for the alewifes.
Comments ?

fishaholic18
12-02-2005, 09:03 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Caught this monster the other day, felt over 2#'s. RI record is 2#'s, may have beat it but I threw it back without an official weight.:wall:

Rappin Mikey
12-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Going pan fishing tomorrow for some of those babies. Yum.

striprman
12-02-2005, 09:45 AM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Caught this monster the other day, felt over 2#'s. RI record is 2#'s, may have beat it but I threw it back without an official weight.:wall:

Whoa, thats a BIG white perch

Mike P
12-02-2005, 10:08 AM
I don't see why not. Stripers eat anything they can get down their throats.

And, white perch are anadromous, like stripers, so they will stay live in the salt.

bart
12-02-2005, 04:03 PM
yeah what Mike P said. theres a lot of white perch in the pawcatuck(sp) in the early spring. i would think that the bigger holdovers chow down on them...

bart
12-02-2005, 05:15 PM
*edit* i've been informed that there NOT a lot of white perch in the pawcutuck. sorry for the misinformation :huh:

RoyL
12-02-2005, 05:45 PM
White perch make a great fresh water bait, for many species, but yellow perch are even better.

striprman
12-03-2005, 08:43 AM
*edit* i've been informed that there NOT a lot of white perch in the pawcutuck. sorry for the misinformation :huh:

there's no fish....anywhere:bgi:

Bernzy
12-03-2005, 11:02 AM
Back in the Mid 60's My father and I tried to use lake caught white perch for striper bait during the late spring Herring runs. It seemed like a good idea. The problem was that the perch would live only a couple of minutes at most in the salt water.

Bernzy

striprman
12-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Back in the Mid 60's My father and I tried to use lake caught white perch for striper bait during the late spring Herring runs. It seemed like a good idea. The problem was that the perch would live only a couple of minutes at most in the salt water.

Bernzy

thats what I thought...thanks

Canalratt1
12-04-2005, 07:53 PM
Surprised the white perch didn't live longer in the salt, I have caught many in tidal waters. Oh I know guys that use horse shiners for bait

Mike P
12-04-2005, 08:26 PM
Surprised the white perch didn't live longer in the salt, I have caught many in tidal waters. Oh I know guys that use horse shiners for bait

Years ago, when they used to let you dip your own, I netted a few in the lower pools of the Bournedale run.

Lots of them in the tidal creeks of LI. In places where you couldn't even call the water "brackish"--pure salt.

kennebecstriper
12-05-2005, 09:15 AM
They work great but they won't live in salt water unless they got there on they're own...I think that they're bodies need to adjust naturally to brakish conditions...sunfish also work great on river stripers!!!!!

hq2
12-07-2005, 11:11 AM
Tried it once when I netted one by accident at the herring run. Hooked it in the top of the back. It swam around for a while, but didn't catch anything. However, don't see any reason why stripers wouldn't hit 'em, unless they're only hitting herring.

RoyL
12-07-2005, 08:18 PM
What you have to do with perch caught in fresh water. Is add saltwater to the tank over a couple of days until the water is all salt. They do work for Stripers. I found a spot this year on the Cape that the striper were actully wating for the white perch at night as they came out.