View Full Version : Hydaulic Steering & Tiller

beamie
12-02-2005, 06:16 PM
Do any of you guys have an inboard boat with a Hydraulic Wheel forward and a tiller at the stern.

I'd love to put a short tiller in the transom. I wouldn't even bother running controls back, just a tiller for steering while trolling.

Just not totally sure how to go about it.....I am thinking you'd have to overcome the hydraulic force already in the system. To do this I believe adding some tees and a ball valve and hose to quickly bypass the steering pump this would allow movement at the tiller with no hydraulic lock.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Van
12-02-2005, 10:49 PM
Can you add a second helm, maybe with a small wheel mounted near the stern. Ya know like the dual stations...

Raider Ronnie
12-02-2005, 11:02 PM
Can you add a second helm, maybe with a small wheel mounted near the stern. Ya know like the dual stations...

Those things are cool!!!:laugha:

MTC
12-02-2005, 11:29 PM
How about an autopilot with a remote?

thefishingfreak
12-03-2005, 08:37 AM
autopilot's a good idea.:think:

i was thinking about doing the same thing when i had my 22' walkarround.
if i was bye myself i could just walk from side to side to steer, and the boat would trac to whatever side i was on.

i think you'd have to put another helm like a second station back there.

beamie
12-03-2005, 09:05 AM
I did think about the autopilot with wireless remote. Trying to keep it real simple without involving more electronics. Plus the boat is only just under 25' and I really can't justify that.

Thought about a second station but a wheel would take up allot more room than a tiller. I was thinking if it were a second steering pump geared to a tiller quadrant with 90 movement but this sounds like it gets to be a real project, but maybe possible.

So I guess I'm hard headed about having a tiller, which is simplest and takes minimal space. The torque of the tiller arm just has to be greater than that of the pump and cylinder.

You see the Fortiers with tillers in the back all the time and I'm sure the nice ones have a hydraulic wheel. Wonder what they do?

wjm
12-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Beamie, Have you tried asking THT?

Rip Runner
12-09-2005, 08:19 AM
Put Joystick built into the transom that works off the existing pump. It will take a-lot less room than a tiller and you won't have to switch a valve everytime you want to use it. It is by far the best system I have ever used.

zacs
12-09-2005, 10:50 AM
lets see a pic, rip.

Rip Runner
12-09-2005, 10:54 AM
look at the top of the transom13017

beamie
12-10-2005, 08:35 AM
No I haven't tried THT, I'm kind of a one site guy lately here.:D

Rip, I am not quite following you with the joystick thang. When I say I have a pump, I am talking about the hydraulic pump at the bezel attached to the wheel. No kind of electric or engine driven pump. Is it that little bronn thing that looks like a hawse pipe?

Rip Runner
12-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Beamie,

The little broom looking thing is just a de-hooker I made and it's just convienent having it there.

Look at the top of the transom and you will see I piece of teak surrounding the joystick. the joystick is built into the top of the transom. It has it's own hydraulic pump, pushing the joystick hard port is just like turning the wheel all they way to port.

If you want send me a PM, I can explain the advantanges of this system over a traditional tiller in further detail.