View Full Version : line for rocks

jfisher
12-03-2005, 10:37 PM
hello all
What line and pound test do you guys throw when you are fishing rocky areas. I'm in RI and have done ok w/ 30# fireline but I haven't pushed its abrasion resistance to its limit yet.

Is there any braid that can handle this, or is mono a must?

on this particular rig I'll be throwing plugs 1.5oz and up.
I was thinking a thin mono (magnathin or AN-40) in 30# or another "regular" diameter mono in 20 or 25.

Thanx all

piemma
12-04-2005, 07:29 AM
Ande Back Country. They best mono around rocks

tlapinski
12-04-2005, 07:42 AM
Spinning or conventional? You will have more frustration with 30# mono on a spinner than you'll want. If you want to use mono, Yo-Zuri Hybrid is the most durable line I have found. I uses 20# on spinners and 30# on conventional.

basswipe
12-04-2005, 07:54 AM
Many I've spoken with really like the Sufix Elite and Siege mono.I've never used it so this is strictly heresay.I bought a spools of each along with some leader size spools of their Tritanium line.I'm using it on both 704/706 and Shimano spinners.Its kind of a risk trying something new but I really trust the judgement of the guys using it.

I've used the Yo-zuri also and can't say anything bad about it either.

eelman
12-04-2005, 08:44 AM
Ande Back Country. They best mono around rocks

Ditto!

jfisher
12-04-2005, 12:17 PM
thanx guys
spinning and convench
I was thinking 20 on a 704 and 20+ on a convench

CANAL RAT
12-04-2005, 01:00 PM
i've allways like 50lb braid like spiderwire stealth around rocks.

basswipe
12-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Was just at a local "discount" store where two close buds of mine work.On rare occasions they have some fishing stuff worth buying as I scored a good filet knife and some blurple bombers there in the past.

I asked about fishing stuff,we went in back and he let my rifle thru bins of junk and I come up with a 1/2# spool of 20lb Ande BackCountry without a price sticker!!!I almost s*@t myself.It was basically "Name that price!":bgi: Let's hope this isn't bad line.

leptar
12-04-2005, 01:36 PM
with many of the guys here on the site singing with the 20# back country i would have to say go for it for a #20 line that can take some abuse, as far as the Suffix line is concerned i tried 2 different styles the tri something and the seige both to me lacked what i needed to be on top of my game. the seige 17# really isn't that great as it's super elasticity, the 20# tri by suffix has real low memory and doesn't stretch as much it's a great sandy beach line but it can't take the abuse of heavy rocks.

Yozuri Hybrid, I tried this line in it's 25# size years ago and loved it since then i have played with it in different sizes from 10# - #60. I think it's one of the most durable lines on the market with #30 being my favorite and spooled on both my 6500 baitrunner and on my 7001abu it can handle the abuse of rocks and still drag fish.

With braided lines, well in a rock pile from a boat it's a different story... but on shore i wont' throw eels or herring with it in the rocks, not only is it expensive but it just doesn't hold up. I've thrown gorrila, spider, powerpro, stren, and a couple of others and i will only use them for plugging or for straight up and down jigging or bait fishing from a boat. There used to be a jet black braided line i forgot who made it but cant find it anymore, that stuff was like steel.

hope that helps.

basswipe
12-04-2005, 02:08 PM
with many of the guys here on the site singing with the 20# back country i would have to say go for it for a #20 line that can take some abuse, as far as the Suffix line is concerned i tried 2 different styles the tri something and the seige both to me lacked what i needed to be on top of my game. the seige 17# really isn't that great as it's super elasticity, the 20# tri by suffix has real low memory and doesn't stretch as much it's a great sandy beach line but it can't take the abuse of heavy rocks.

I never did get to the leaders I tied with the Tritanium.Maybe that's a good thing.Really don't like to take chances with leaders.

I'll give the Elite and Siege lines a try with schoolies in the spring.If I don't like it I won't use it again and go back to the Hybrid and BackCountry.

I've found line to be one those components you gotta try for yourself.Sometimes the results are great other times not so great.

dickmont
12-04-2005, 07:48 PM
ande back country 20# conventional-best yet for me

Nebe
12-04-2005, 07:50 PM
50 lb Cortland master braid :liquify:

jfisher
12-06-2005, 10:16 AM
thx every one
anyone know a source for backcountry in RI?

dickmont
12-06-2005, 11:00 AM
anyone know a source for backcountry in RI?

i used to get mine at quaker lane b&t. try pete at the edge in newport

jfisher
12-06-2005, 03:31 PM
will do
thx

Pete F.
12-13-2005, 04:13 PM
I was going to buy some of the "new, latest and greatest" Ande backcountry. I can find clear and pink in Vt but no backcountry. So I looked on their website and it says that backcountry is one of the colors that Premium is made in. The following is pasted from their site:

"The abrasion resistance of Ande has always been one of our major selling points. We sell two lines: Premium and Tournament. Tournament is available in Green and High Visibility Fluorescent Yellow.
Our Premium is our production monofilament for the vast majority of anglers. It is the same quality as our Tournament line. It is a medium soft monofilament with excellent tensile and knot strength and is very abrasion resistant. Premium comes in Clear, Pink, Dark Green, Gun Metal, Hi-Vis, Green Envy and Back Country Slate Blue, in tests from 2 to 400 lbs. Also available in both 50 yd. and 100 yd. leader coils in heavy tests from 30 to 400. Also available are 400 yd. coils of Black mono."

So is there really a difference?:think:

basswipe
12-13-2005, 05:02 PM
I was going to buy some of the "new, latest and greatest" Ande backcountry. I can find clear and pink in Vt but no backcountry. So I looked on their website and it says that backcountry is one of the colors that Premium is made in. The following is pasted from their site:

"The abrasion resistance of Ande has always been one of our major selling points. We sell two lines: Premium and Tournament. Tournament is available in Green and High Visibility Fluorescent Yellow.
Our Premium is our production monofilament for the vast majority of anglers. It is the same quality as our Tournament line. It is a medium soft monofilament with excellent tensile and knot strength and is very abrasion resistant. Premium comes in Clear, Pink, Dark Green, Gun Metal, Hi-Vis, Green Envy and Back Country Slate Blue, in tests from 2 to 400 lbs. Also available in both 50 yd. and 100 yd. leader coils in heavy tests from 30 to 400. Also available are 400 yd. coils of Black mono."

So is there really a difference?:think:

You kinda selected only certain parts to quote from the page?Were you viewing an old page?I found this:

www.andemonofilament.com/premium.htm

I have a 1/2 spool of BackCountry and a 1/4 spool of Premium in front of me.One spool says BackCountry on it the other doesn't.

Pete F.
12-13-2005, 08:22 PM
I either totaly missed it or found a old page somehow, when I looked this time it was listed as a new product.:think:
Just another thing on my wish list.:wall:

chris L
12-14-2005, 08:37 AM
its a newer product thats been out for at least 5 years . I have used it for freshwater (4#) mostly for at least that long . In the salt I have used ande premium forever .