View Full Version : Grundens Petrus 762?

Clogston29
12-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Anyone have this jacket and have any comments? Thinking about picking one up for those nights that I won't be wading deep enough to wear a dry top (figure the less I wear it the better with all the gasket issues :(). I'm thinking this one will be better than the Brigg for the majority of the season since its lighter and cooler. Also because it doesn't have regular cuffs over the gaskets.

Also, does anyone have any info on the sizing or know of somewhere on the north shore of MA where I can try one on? I've only tried on the briggs and it seams to run really large.

Thanks

1tym
12-04-2005, 10:25 PM
I check out google for images of the jacket. I have one, I did not know mine was called Grundens Petrus 762 but now I do. I got it this past summer when I was up in the northern frontier working for the feds.

I like it because it is light weight, much more breathable and comfortable than a full heavy rubber jacket. The material is comfortable since it stretches. I have the bids too of the same material love'em. Only set backs are the material is not as durable as heavy plastic if your going throw brush or siding up against some mussells or barnacles. Or a fishing hook. But aqua seal does the trick! I have repaired the jacket and bids a bunch of times, but I was using it for working out in the field, US tongass national forest. It held up very well never ripped when I thought it would just some small holes that needed patching since it rains a lot out there

Some other set backs are the bottom of the back of the jacket the water drips down and will soak up a tiny bit. I wore hip waders and could feel a bit a water wetting my back but with my bibs I was golden. Another is the at cuffs are great but they are not water proof. When I mean by that they are not like a drive suit material. Water will get up in there and the cuff will soak. Water wil not run up your sleeve but if you wear a long sleeve shirt and it touches the cuff it will get wet and the water will move up a bit. one more set back is the zipper linning, the stitching is great that the water does not leak through the jacket but if you get enouch water on the zipper the canvas material of the zipper will eventually soak and it will run down to the bottom of the zipper and onto water your wearing inside. The amount of water is not much, just a small wet spot but enough to be annoying and unpleasant [if working 12 hours a day out in middle of the woods with water constantly hitting your head] But I took a little aqua seal and put it on the inside of the zipper[not the actually teeth and zipper but the canvas material attached to it to the coat] and it fixed that problem. One last problem, the hood is big, it comes down and does not have a back adjuster like other jackets I have [wading coats] But if you wear a baseball cap it fits like a charm. Jacket will smell funny if you do not wash, [stretchy material is like a sponage on the inside]

Now I know I said a lot of disadvantages of the jacket for a jacket of its price, however I did spend 300 plus hours with it in Alaska working with the field with constant mist and rain. And I would not have chosen anything else. It is easy to repair and durable in the sense that something so light and stretchy wouldn't rip when I bump into a nice tree stump or climbing over slash in a clear cut full of 6 foot blue berry bushes growing towards the opposite way I am hiking through. PLus if you do rip it they give a patch[do not go "oh a sample of the material! cool," and throw it away lik I did] and so you can just aqua seal it. If you intend on buying the jacket get a tube of aqua seal just in case anything were to happen. That is if like being completely dry and wearing cotten. My buddy has a million tiny holes in his jacket, but he doesnt seem to mind it, he gets a bit wet but not soaked.

BigBo
12-05-2005, 07:02 AM
I have one and use it on the boat for the mildly snotty days and have been very happy with it. I got mine here at the Marshfield location. They also have one in Glouchester. I didn't see it on the website, but it was in the store.

http://www.fishermansoutfitter.com/

Brother Brian
12-05-2005, 09:43 AM
I've got it and love it. It does everything my old pullover did (buried with my truck in 9/11) but is lighter. Cuffs are great. I wish it came in green but other than that it is great.

Redsoxticket
12-05-2005, 01:08 PM
I checked out the Grundens Petrus 762 slipover which is a medium weight material with neoprene cuffs and hood. It is similar to Grundens Briggs 34 which is very heavy weight material.

The Petrus 763 (Sund Jacket with Hood) is a new line to Grundens. It is similiar in material to the Sund Petrus 760 PVC laminated to thin fleece (soft and flexable), however this model has the hood along with the waist draw string.

I would try Wilcox's in Galliee in Rhode Island or New Bedford Ship Supply in New Bedford. Stores that are near commercial fishing ports that supply goods to fishermen.
nOTE: It is also similiar to the Grundens Briggs 34 but the material is softer and not stiff.
Remember it is model # 763.